NBA attempting to reform lottery

Forge

This is going to a vote September 28th

I think it will pass. It basically ensures that the worst team doesnt get the top pick, and makes it possible for the worst team to get the 5th overall pick. It will definitely mess up the teams trying to tank, but it will screw up the teams that just suck and are trying to rebuild.

but seriously its never been about landing the #1 pick, its been about making the most of what you can

Look at the most successful "build through the draft" team in recent memory, the OKC Thunder. Durant was at 2, Westbrook at 4 and Harden at 3. Its all about drafting the right guy, not just getting the top pick. The 76ers have build a long process because of getting the wrong guys or because they got injuried guys. They look like they have a solid core of Embiid, Simmons and Fultz, but they missed on MCW and Okafor as well. Plus all 3 of those core guys could turn out to be busts, whether by injury or inability. 

ultimately I dont think tanking is a product issue, its a money issue. Fan bases understand when a team is rebuilding, but revenue drops and the owners dont like that with this new revenue sharing deal. 

On 9/10/2017 at 1:44 PM, Raves said:

I think my main issue is that this is a rule that they will be springing onto teams who have made moves this offseason based on the old system, which affects not just my Cavs but other teams as well.  If they do decide to go back to a legit your record is where you pick system, they should have it set to be taking place a couple years ahead so that deals made this offseason with the idea of where opposing teams would be don't get messed up, especially with the way the protection system works out.  Most of these protections on picks are put in place specifically with the current lottery system put in place and changing that would completely change the value of those picks.  I mean most picks that have meaningful protections are resolved by 2020, so if they did do a change it should take effect then so teams can operate with full knowledge of what to expect.

It would almost be like saying that for this upcoming season dunks will be worth 3 points each.  Completely changes the way a team will approach their roster.

Agree completely on this. I don't know how the league could justify that. Teams traded for picks under the current system, and not providing enough buffer, say 2-3 years, before changing the system is unfair to teams that traded for those future picks.

I'd personally be in favor of scrapping the lottery altogether but providing protections so that teams couldn't pick 1st overall two years in a row, couldn't pick top 3 three years in a row, and couldn't pick top 5 four years in a row. If you're tanking to get a top pick, this will help alleviate that. If you're not tanking but are just making bad picks, then tough luck. Manage your team and draft picks better.

I do think something should be done. Looking back at the last five drafts, Philly, LA, Phoenix and Orlando have received more top 5 picks than the rest of the league combined. It's not wise to allow mismanaged teams to continue to reap the rewards of being poorly managed.

Archived