ALCS: Yankees vs Astros

Leader

13 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

If it's Astros/Yankees: Astros in 6

If it's Rays/Yankees: Yankees in 6

Rays' current use of Snell/Glasnow won't fly in a 7 game series. You can cheese it in a 5 game series (as the Nationals have also been doing) but not a 7 gamer. 

If it's Yankees against anybody: Yankees :)

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Aaron Hicks doing some pre-workout drills. First base/outfield coach Reggie Willits hitting balls to him and Aaron Boone taking the throws.

Brian Cashman called Aaron Hicks a couple days ago and said: "We're gonna fly you up you and get our eyes on you and run you through the car wash. You need to mentally prepare for being healthy but not active, being healthy and a bench player, or being healthy and a starter."

In other words, all bets are off. I like the player a lot and he's got a left handed swing thats custom made for the Stadium - but he'd been dealing with a number of nagging things all year and never seemed to get out of "not quite right" mode. Then he had the elbow injury which has shelved him since some time in August. Thats a lot of time to make up - and timing to regain - in a playoff setting / circumstance.

Stros in 6 it is

If we win the Greinke start in game 1 I'm feeling decent about our chances to take a 3-0 lead. Only roadblock being playoff Yankee Stadium is a pretty crazy place and shellshocked the young Astros last time (and MMP did the same to the young Yankees). I don't expect either team to be as bad on the road as they were in the 2017. 

15 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Stros in 6 it is

If we win the Greinke start in game 1 I'm feeling decent about our chances to take a 3-0 lead. Only roadblock being playoff Yankee Stadium is a pretty crazy place and shellshocked the young Astros last time (and MMP did the same to the young Yankees). I don't expect either team to be as bad on the road as they were in the 2017. 

You ain’t facing the Rays offense anymore homie. Don’t ever feel confident going 3-0 against us. That’s disrespectful as hell 

12 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

You ain’t facing the Rays offense anymore homie. Don’t ever feel confident going 3-0 against us. That’s disrespectful as hell 

"If we win the Greinke start"

"I'm feeling decent"

Sure, it's disrespectful as hell if you specifically try and make it sound that way. I actually think the Yankees will win game 1. But if we win game 1 and we have Verlander and Cole up next? And I said I feel decent about those chances? Yeah man, sue me. 

9 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

"If we win the Greinke start"

"I'm feeling decent"

Sure, it's disrespectful as hell if you specifically try and make it sound that way. I actually think the Yankees will win game 1. But if we win game 1 and we have Verlander and Cole up next? And I said I feel decent about those chances? Yeah man, sue me. 

I’m just thankful we get Cole in the Bronx. That’s big.  Yankees have owned Grienke over his career, hopefully that continues. Fully expect the Yankees to work counts and get into the Astro bullpen as quick as possible. 

Series X factors: Paxton, Severino, Stanton, Sanchez, Grienke, Houston Relievers 

5 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’m just thankful we get Cole in the Bronx. That’s big.  Yankees have owned Grienke over his career, hopefully that continues. Fully expect the Yankees to work counts and get into the Astro bullpen as quick as possible. 

Series X factors: Paxton, Severino, Stanton, Sanchez, Grienke, Houston Relievers 

For sure. It's big to get Cole in Yankee Stadium. Likewise though, I feel more confident having Cole pitch game 3 on the road than I would've Greinke. 

I expect home field to be a big deal in this series, though not quite like 2017 lol. I don't see both home teams sweeping. I think we each take at least one on the road and Astros win in 6 because we take 2. But wouldn't be surprised if we both just get one and it goes 7 instead. Both teams are really damn good and I don't think I'd be surprised by any outcome save for a straight up sweep. 

This is gonna be the real World Series tbh. Unless whoever wins just gets baseball'd to hell vs the Nats/Cards. 

Edited by Spartica4Real

2 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

For sure. It's big to get Cole in Yankee Stadium. Likewise though, I feel more confident having Cole pitch game 3 on the road than I would've Greinke. 

I expect home field to be a big deal in this series, though not quite like 2017 lol. I don't see both home teams sweeping. I think we each take one on the road and Astros win in 6. But both teams are really damn good and I don't think I'd be surprised by any outcome save for a straight up sweep. 

This is gonna be the real World Series tbh. Unless whoever wins just gets baseball'd to hell vs the Nats/Cards. 

Giancarlo Stanton better come through. That’s all i know.

7 hours ago, Leader said:

A wild card that never gets mentioned or considered anymore is the NYY are missing an 18 game winner from their rotation.

Just another something to get over in a season thats been full of them.

I’m gonna be honest, i didn’t think twice about losing Gérman. I’d rather have a rotation of Paxton-Tanaka-Sevy-Bullpen game anyways.

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’m gonna be honest, i didn’t think twice about losing Gérman. I’d rather have a rotation of Paxton-Tanaka-Sevy-Bullpen game anyways.

German was a loss. Either as a starter or long / inning eating arm out of the bullpen - which, given our starters (and a seven game series) would be handy. Happ fill that role currently - or he did up to now and I expect he'll be on the ALCS roster.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

German was a loss. Either as a starter or long / inning eating arm out of the bullpen - which, given our starters (and a seven game series) would be handy. Happ fill that role currently - or he did up to now and I expect he'll be on the ALCS roster.

We don’t need long relievers in the ALCS. He lacks playoff experience, had his first real success this year, and also hits women. So I’m all set. Instead of him starting game 4, it will most likely be a bullpen game. And he wouldn’t have been called upon over any of our relievers anyways.

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

We don’t need long relievers in the ALCS.

Hopefully this is true. However, in a seven game series if one or more of our starters gets rocked early - we'll be using up / burning through BP arms - or swapping Happ (or maybe CC / Loaisiga) in as a pseudo starter. How Germans stuff matches up with those guys is a subjective matter but the "call ups / roster swaps" we became so familiar with when Boone was resting guys or keeping arms fresh are done unless a player's injured.

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Had his first real success this year.

This is true and how he'd react under the pressure is an unknown - but he didnt win 18 games cause he throws chopped liver.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

...and also hits women.

Understood and I wasnt speaking to the "why" he's not with us. To my knowledge he had a single altercation with one woman. I'll presume the details are egregious given the penalty but the information's not been released publicly that I know of. Regardless - my comment spoke to him being a loss. The cause was irrelevant. Domestic violence or a hamstring. A loss is a loss IMO.

11 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

I expect home field to be a big deal in this series, though not quite like 2017 lol. I don't see both home teams sweeping. I think we each take at least one on the road and Astros win in 6 because we take 2. But wouldn't be surprised if we both just get one and it goes 7 instead. Both teams are really damn good and I don't think I'd be surprised by any outcome save for a straight up sweep. 

No argument that the Astros/Yankees are the 2 best teams, but it's not like the Nationals are void of talent.  Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin is arguably as good as Verlander/Cole/Greinke and they have an offense capable of hanging with the best of them.  While it certainly could go that way, it wouldn't take getting "baseball'd to hell" for the Nats to beat either team in a 7 game series.

The Cards?  Yeah, that would be baseball'd to hell.  They just aren't that good.