Roster Review: Potential picks/trades/FA

sryan66611

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

SR made the theory Arians and Licht have no interest in drafting a QB early.  Pretty much consensus Eason will be gone no later then Rd 2.  PR has been pretty plugged into the Bucs draft for awhile now, so if Reynolds believes they don t want a QB early, I tend to give him the benwfit of the doubt.

You don't think that's a smokescreen?? 

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Sportswriters can create smokescreens?

So sports writers just get inside info on teams draft strategies and write out articles on it to make them public? Are other teams believing everything the sports writers are putting out there as well?

3 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

I don't believe that at all. 

Don't believe it or don't want to believe it?

BA mentioned Roethlisberger (a future HoFer) and Luck (who was probably on pace for at least a nomination) as guys he won with. If there's a guy he likes, I wouldn't doubt he'd take him. But Burrow isn't happening. Tua's own agent said he should sit his rookie year. Love and Eason need a lot of work before anyone should be confident in them to win games.

Guys like Stanley are considered day three picks for a reason.

This isn't like the QB class a couple years ago. Not even close. And you shouldn't take one for the sake of taking one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

So sports writers just get inside info on teams draft strategies and write out articles on it to make them public? Are other teams believing everything the sports writers are putting out there as well?

For the most part, kinda. And I'd imagine teams at least hear about it.

Like @ravishingone said, PR has been pretty on the money the last few years with what we're going to do. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Don't believe it or don't want to believe it?

BA mentioned Roethlisberger (a future HoFer) and Luck (who was probably on pace for at least a nomination) as guys he won with. If there's a guy he likes, I wouldn't doubt he'd take him. But Burrow isn't happening. Tua's own agent said he should sit his rookie year. Love and Eason need a lot of work before anyone should be confident in them to win games.

Guys like Stanley are considered day three picks for a reason.

This isn't like the QB class a couple years ago. Not even close. And you shouldn't take one for the sake of taking one.

Both. :)

They say that about a lot of QBs. I'm not gonna go through naming each one, but it's frequently said that certain QB's "need time to develop". And either way is fine by me. Whether a scout thinks they're ready year 1 or not. 

Well you don't take a QB cause he's the best player available, at least not in the 1st or 2nd round. You take one if you're in the position we're in. Jameis isn't the answer. Rivers isn't either, and if he's signed he's obviously just a 1-2 year thing. But even signing Teddy or hypothetically Brady, I still want to draft a QB first round. They can learn from the starter, push the starter, and we have a backup with potential ready to step in when the starter isn't doing good or gets injured. And if whoever we get as a starter does really well, then we have trade bait with our backup QB. I always loved when teams did this. It's just smart. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

Both. :)

They say that about a lot of QBs. I'm not gonna go through naming each one, but it's frequently said that certain QB's "need time to develop". And either way is fine by me. Whether a scout thinks they're ready year 1 or not. 

Well you don't take a QB cause he's the best player available, at least not in the 1st or 2nd round. You take one if you're in the position we're in. Jameis isn't the answer. Rivers isn't either, and if he's signed he's obviously just a 1-2 year thing. But even signing Teddy or hypothetically Brady, I still want to draft a QB first round. They can learn from the starter, push the starter, and we have a backup with potential ready to step in when the starter isn't doing good or gets injured. And if whoever we get as a starter does really well, then we have trade bait with our backup QB. I always loved when teams did this. It's just smart. 

And this is why teams like the Broncos and Jacksonville continue to struggle. They just take a QB because they need one, even though the player shouldnt be drafted where he is taken. This is such a poor draft strategy and not a successful one. You dont just take a player because you have a need at the position. They need and talent have to line up. You mention Jameis, Rivers, and Brady as not being the answer... but to what? If you want to win more games, those guys are much better options than a rookie who isnt near ready. I just dont see a viable option at the QB position for us at #14. I dont think Love will be there to be honest, and Eason is a huge reach there. If we stay put in the 2nd and grab him as a guy who make work out, but sign a vet in front of him, then sure that works. But you dont press the issue and reach on a player, ever. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

And this is why teams like the Broncos and Jacksonville continue to struggle. They just take a QB because they need one, even though the player shouldnt be drafted where he is taken. This is such a poor draft strategy and not a successful one. You dont just take a player because you have a need at the position. They need and talent have to line up. You mention Jameis, Rivers, and Brady as not being the answer... but to what? If you want to win more games, those guys are much better options than a rookie who isnt near ready. I just dont see a viable option at the QB position for us at #14. I dont think Love will be there to be honest, and Eason is a huge reach there. If we stay put in the 2nd and grab him as a guy who make work out, but sign a vet in front of him, then sure that works. But you dont press the issue and reach on a player, ever. 

Ok I don't think you really understood what I was saying. First of all, I'd take Rivers over Jameis all day. Brady, I'd be ecstatic for if we actually got him. And I didn't say any rookie QB could come in and win right away. But no vet is guaranteed to do that either, though a vet will have a better chance than a rookie, in most cases. We have a team that can at least make the playoffs with a competent QB. I think Rivers is good enough to do that. 

Depending on how free agency, and the first picks in the draft goes(really, what San Diego does), then I'd like us to trade up in the 10-12 range to grab our favorite between the QBs left. Unless of course they just don't grade out good enough. If the staff doesn't think they're worthy of a pick that high, then I don't know. Stay put and get another position of need or trade back if there's an offer. 

We can't come out of this draft without a QB in the first 30 picks Imo. We will continue to have no future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

Ok I don't think you really understood what I was saying. First of all, I'd take Rivers over Jameis all day. Brady, I'd be ecstatic for if we actually got him. And I didn't say any rookie QB could come in and win right away. But no vet is guaranteed to do that either, though a vet will have a better chance than a rookie, in most cases. We have a team that can at least make the playoffs with a competent QB. I think Rivers is good enough to do that. 

Depending on how free agency, and the first picks in the draft goes(really, what San Diego does), then I'd like us to trade up in the 10-12 range to grab our favorite between the QBs left. Unless of course they just don't grade out good enough. If the staff doesn't think they're worthy of a pick that high, then I don't know. Stay put and get another position of need or trade back if there's an offer. 

We can't come out of this draft without a QB in the first 30 picks Imo. We will continue to have no future. 

We have nt had a present for 12 yrs.  I get what you are writing, but they need to stick to their board.  Whoever is signed in FA is going to be the starter a minimum of 2 yrs.  The QB they get is going to get over 25 million per yr.  I hope we can agree Brees, Brady, or Rivers aren t going to take a significant pay cut to continue playing on a new team.    This roster isn t good enough to invest that much at QB and bypass talent at other positions with a top 60 pick then on a rookie QB.  If they spent half that salary. on a vet Qb like 13 milliom or less, then sure go get a QB.  Then they can afford another olineman over 10 million and resign most of the vets on defense.

• Like 1