Roster Review: Potential picks/trades/FA

sryan66611

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

He's a borderline top 10-12 QB. And he's gonna jump in those standings in a year or two with more experience and a bunch of retirements. So, yes.

I think he is middle of the pack.  I m jealous of his oline honestly.  I don t see him being very good when he has to move around the pocket.  Now, planned roll outs, he is good.  So with this line, better be able to move around.

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

We had a discussion about Dak a few weeks ago, paying the man hypothetically.  Not trying to be an arse, still feeling the same way?

My stance was back then, I wouldn t make him the highest paid QB with the cap hit and draft capital involved to acquire.  I woiuld trade for his oline, however.  👍👍👍

He really took a jump this year...   He has a great supporting cast but has definitely got a lot better since last year.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I think he is middle of the pack.  I m jealous of his oline honestly.  I don t see him being very good when he has to move around the pocket.  Now, planned roll outs, he is good.  So with this line, better be able to move around.

Which is an offense thing.

Like. Look at Lamar. He'd be a bottom QB in our offense. But he's an MVP in his system. 

Dak needs something that better suits his ability to move around and play more west coast. 

10 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Which is an offense thing.

Like. Look at Lamar. He'd be a bottom QB in our offense. But he's an MVP in his system. 

Dak needs something that better suits his ability to move around and play more west coast. 

I agree with system and QB match, but I don t think the Dallas offense is as vertical as his yds per attempt suggest.  Now they do throw deep of course.  However, with Witten at TE, he isn t running that many seam routes.   i have seen crossing routes, and Elliott has 41 receptions.  I think his arm strength is decent.  He can get the ball to the out routes okay if the ball is on the same hash as the sideline.

I m not trying to trash Dak.  I m not sure Dak would excel in this offense.  Since, this offense is top 4 in the league in scoring, safe to assume the principles in this passing offense are not changing drastically under this coaching staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

I agree with system and QB match, but I don t think the Dallas offense is as vertical as his yds per attempt suggest.  Now they do throw deep of course.  However, with Witten at TE, he isn t running that many seam routes.   i have seen crossing routes, and Elliott has 41 receptions.  I think his arm strength is decent.  He can get the ball to the out routes okay if the ball is on the same hash as the sideline.

I m not trying to trash Dak.  I m not sure Dak would excel in this offense.  Since, this offense is top 4 in the league in scoring, safe to assume the principles in this passing offense are not changing drastically under this coaching staff.

I actually think Dak would be good in this offense....   Your right he doesn't have a great arm but it is sufficient.  One thing he does have is great deep ball accuracy and can put touch on balls well.  

From what I have seen the problems Dak has IMO is that he tries to strong-arm passes w/o setting his feet etc..   Which he doesn't have the arm for.  He tries to use his athletic ability to throw from an odd base (ala Pat Mahomes)  and he doesn't have the arm talent for it.  He does make some questionable decisions too.

Its the reason why you see him in pre-game doing the hip thrust motion warming up.  He has to use his full body hips and leg drive to get the ball out with velocity and power to make the throw.   He can't just rely on arm talent to do it like some other qbs with great arms.

Now if he was in this offense with this O-line I'm not sure he would be doing much better than Jameis TBH.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

What exactly is our cap situation next year and how much guys like Jameis and Shaq will realistically count against it? $30 for Jameis. $15 for Shaq... how much more room do we have? I guess we could do some in bonus money so save against the cap.

Over the cap has us just shy of $89M.

Lavonte signing an extension could dump some extra salary into 2020 to cheapen future years or go light in 2020 to save for all the guys we need to resign. His 2020 hit is $10.75M right now.

Can also cut the following guys with zero dead cap:

Jensen ($10M in savings)

Brate ($6M)

Gholston ($4.75M)

Realistically, Brate would be the one we cut.

We've got like 20 FAs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, indifference said:

Dak is average to me but he’s better than Jameis. Dallas will overpay for dude and it wont be our issue. I do think he is the type of QB that capable of winning a SB based on how well he protects the ball and durability.

I would absolutely build around a Dak or even a Stafford/Cousins.

It's hard to find better and so easy to find worse. And rather than roll the dice and potentially set yourself back three or four years, go balls out.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 1:16 AM, bucsfan333 said:

I would absolutely build around a Dak or even a Stafford/Cousins.

It's hard to find better and so easy to find worse. And rather than roll the dice and potentially set yourself back three or four years, go balls out.

Cousins can’t win a big time game so no way on him (I realize you weren’t necessarily being literal). 

Your point of “so easy to find worse” is why I think there is a legit chance Jameis is brought back. BAs system will always have a QB throwing interceptions. But is there any way to stop Jameis from going nuclear, as Sikkema says.

1 hour ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Cousins can’t win a big time game so no way on him (I realize you weren’t necessarily being literal). 

Your point of “so easy to find worse” is why I think there is a legit chance Jameis is brought back. BAs system will always have a QB throwing interceptions. But is there any way to stop Jameis from going nuclear, as Sikkema says.

I ll be the first to admit, I am pro Jameis because I have seen decades of slop for starting Qbs.  The issue now is cap.  If he was still on his rookie deal, this would be a no brainer.  No way Winston comes back for anything less then the franchise tag, which could mean not being able to resign one of the defensive FAs.  

Still the franchise tag isn t cheap.  No way an agent or the NFLPA is going to let a starting QB  sign for a penny less then 30 million per yr coming off of his first contract.  They will not allow that precedent.

This goes one of 2 ways.  Framchise Winston and one of Suh or Nassib is gone.  Very confident Shaq and JPP get resigned.  Go cheap on a bridge QB below 12 million and then they have to ensure getting your guy in the first rd.  And this means, we can forgot about a vet Qb of any pedigree agreeing to that price.  Good news going this route, they could spend a little money on a RT in FA with the cap savings from the Qb position.

No doubt in my mind, Licht will be making calls over the next few months to gauge the trade up market "as part of the evaluation process for Winston". Buckle up, going to be a crazy ride.

• Like 1