Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Offense completely imploding at the end spoils what was otherwise a great team performance. Bummer.

Happy that the team showed up, looks like the transfers out did us some good. Happy with the WRs and the playcalling, and if TVD can be 80% of what Mordecai was today, and we address the pass rush, we'll roll the classic B1G West side of our schedule and be a threat to win 10-11 games.

Sucks to lose like that, but can't fault Fickell.

Game could've been won with an aggressive HC. There's no difference in gameday management between PC and Fickell. Unbelievably conservative. 4th and 1, punt, ball on the 36? Punt. Doesn't bode well when the roster is stronger and we're in close battles in this loaded conference. That was pretty pathetic 1990s coaching there. Played not to lose, and like every coach who does so, lost.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Game could've been won with an aggressive HC. There's no difference in gameday management between PC and Fickell. Unbelievably conservative. 4th and 1, punt, ball on the 36? Punt. Doesn't bode well when the roster is stronger and we're in close battles in this loaded conference. That was pretty pathetic 1990s coaching there. Played not to lose, and like every coach who does so, lost.

He literally went for it on 4th and short early in the game and they didn't convert. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That was the only inexcusably conservative call I can remember.

Otherwise I thought we played substantially more aggressively, lots of longer developing pass plays. Ultimately that bit us in the *** in the last series, but it put us in a good position in the first place and considering this is the same team that scored 3 points in the first 59 minutes of the Northwestern game, I'll take it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

He literally went for it on 4th and short early in the game and they didn't convert. 

No he didn't. They punted when they had 4th and 1 early on. Only went for it when there was 15 seconds left at half, after not going for a 4th and 3 and trying a Vakos 50+ yarder that he missed, he then went for it instead of kicking a 53 yarder. Guy doesn't subscribe to analytics at all.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That was the only inexcusably conservative call I can remember.

Otherwise I thought we played substantially more aggressively, lots of longer developing pass plays. Ultimately that bit us in the *** in the last series, but it put us in a good position in the first place and considering this is the same team that scored 3 points in the first 59 minutes of the Northwestern game, I'll take it.

I had no issue with the play calling, I'm referring to the multiple 4th and 1/2's at around midfield we punted on. 4th and 3 and we attempted and missed a 50+ yard FG. Had a long 4th down, but at the LSU 36, punted. Went conservative every time

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I had no issue with the play calling, I'm referring to the multiple 4th and 1/2's at around midfield we punted on. 4th and 3 and we attempted and missed a 50+ yard FG. Had a long 4th down, but at the LSU 36, punted. Went conservative every time

I'm fine with the attempted FG. Trusting your kicker from 50 is normal in today's CFB.

The other punt from that area of the field went to the 1 and was on a 4th and 13. No brainer.

Otherwise, we went for it right at the end of the half and missed from the LSU 35 or so, also the more aggressive decision.

I don't think there were any other times we had a decision to make in that area of the field. I agree the call was conservative but think your reaction has far more to do with PC and Wisconsin's reputation than what Fickell actually did today.