MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

and on the main event, can't say enough about how impressive Volkov was. most of all his composure/confidence. Never in the fight did he look overawed with the occasion of facing the toughest fighter of his career, and one of the all-time greats. He was able to hang with Werdum on the ground! In the 4th round when Werdum was pulling deep half, one time he took Volkov's back, then the next time Werdum pulled that move, had it down, but Volkov adjusted and was able to ride out the position and neutralized it. Beautiful learning on the fly from him, that's what makes a championship fighter.

Definitely think that Volkov is the next championship contender. Only thing is we don't know how the division is going to shape out with Stipe-DC. The UFC I'm sure would love to put a Volkov title fight on UFC 228 in Russia, but it's a bit close to the fight at 226. Way I see it;

-Stipe wins, him vs Volkov at 229/230, promote it heavily at UFC Russia

-DC wins and chooses to defend at heavyweight, the same thing

-DC wins and vacates the heavyweight belt (could see him retiring if he wins), Volkov vs Ngannou/Overeem/Blaydes at UFC Russia

Either way, I don't think Volkov has anything more to prove in order to deserve a title shot. He just held his own in the grappling against one of the best BJJ practitioners MMA has ever seen, as well as piecing him up every second on the feet. No doubt he has the most impressive case for a shot right now.

7 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

the rest of the event... Manuwa seems like he's hit his peak. He's about 36 or something already, and it seems like his striking defense is really lacking. Lucky he never faced Cormier, cos DC would box him up something awful, even without using wrestling.

Leon Edwards is looking ok, did great to defend Sobotta's submissions, that sub defense can't be discounted. He's got a good record in the UFC, not sure if he's ready for the Till fight, but hopefully he gets some top 10 guy.

I was surprised by the Duquesnoy decision, but I don't think it was necessarily a robbery. Rounds 1 and 3 were quite close, could realistically go either way. the 30-27 card was ridiculous, but he would have won without that, so it's not so bad. There's something missing about him though, he's got a great array of strikes, loved the way he ends his combos with leg kicks, but he seems to lack impact. Kinda think he might be better trying out 145lbs.

Didnt we know that before this fight though? Going into the fight he was 17-3. Wins vs OSP, Jan B and Anderson are all Top-15 guys but whenever he fought a legit Top-5 guy he got beat...badly. Volkan, Rumble and Gusty made him look like he didnt belong in the Top-5 at all. 

Also, after looking at the standings, I like the guy but MW is so freaking weak after the first few if Uriah Hall is ranked 9th. 

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Do you practice BJJ at all or were you simply curious as a MMA fan?

And I agree 100% to the last part. The fact that Craig didnt even start working to the sub when the 10 second mark hit definitely makes me question how much heart his opponent has. 

I've been training BJJ for the last 3 years. Been put to sleep in training one time at my old gym by a brown belt (he's just received his black belt recently) via triangle choke. He's kind of a slimmer guy though, so maybe it's a different thing when a guy Craig's size has his legs locked around you.

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

and on the main event, can't say enough about how impressive Volkov was. most of all his composure/confidence. Never in the fight did he look overawed with the occasion of facing the toughest fighter of his career, and one of the all-time greats. He was able to hang with Werdum on the ground! In the 4th round when Werdum was pulling deep half, one time he took Volkov's back, then the next time Werdum pulled that move, had it down, but Volkov adjusted and was able to ride out the position and neutralized it. Beautiful learning on the fly from him, that's what makes a championship fighter.

Couldn't agree more. I kept watching that fight expecting 2 things:

1. Werdum secures the TD and subs Volkov

2. Volkov falls into Werdum's trap when he falls the ground on his back and loses via Sub

Watching every second of that fight i just expected it to end that way. Werdum got several TDs and had alot of opportunities to make something happen but damn Volkov handled it very well.

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didnt we know that before this fight though? Going into the fight he was 17-3. Wins vs OSP, Jan B and Anderson are all Top-15 guys but whenever he fought a legit Top-5 guy he got beat...badly. Volkan, Rumble and Gusty made him look like he didnt belong in the Top-5 at all.

Maybe, but at least the guys he had been beaten by before were all title contenders. Jan is a tough dude, but he's a gatekeeper, not on the level of Gus/Rumble/Volkan. seeing Jimi get boxed up by Jan is quite telling.

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

I've been training BJJ for the last 3 years. Been put to sleep in training one time at my old gym by a brown belt (he's just received his black belt recently) via triangle choke. He's kind of a slimmer guy though, so maybe it's a different thing when a guy Craig's size has his legs locked around you.

Cool! I wish i could do that. I cant risk getting taken down or have my left arm in trouble because of an 8 inch plate put in. 

1 minute ago, Buckrock101 said:

Maybe, but at least the guys he had been beaten by before were all title contenders. Jan is a tough dude, but he's a gatekeeper, not on the level of Gus/Rumble/Volkan. seeing Jimi get boxed up by Jan is quite telling.

Losing the most recent fight was the nail in the coffin as far as if he'd ever smell a title shot but honestly even with a win he's a gatekeeper himself since he never beat anyone that would earn him a title shot the way Volkov just beat Werdum

best thing about Volkov was his confidence. even when they were on the ground, when Werdum was on top, Volkov never panicked and never lost his cool. also he didn't come out of the ground exchanges looking gassed, in fact it was always Werdum who looked weaker when they went back to their feet. Volkov just stayed calm, defended and retained full guard, and took his opportunities when he got the chance on the feet.

oh, the other thing I forgot to mention from the main event was in the first (or second, not exactly sure), the beautiful sweep from de la riva Volkov did to reverse position and get back to his feet. Common position in BJJ, but not so much in MMA. That was gorgeous to see, especially against a seasoned BJJ guy in Werdum. shows me Volkov has some real stripes on the ground. Not sure how his wrestling will stand up against Cormier or Stipe, but his BJJ game is elite for this division.

think Lesnar will be back. Probably going to make Lesnar vs Jones. Jon will definitely be back, but it's too much of a risk to put him in a title fight again straight away. him vs Lesnar is the kind of fight that could headline a PPV, while not throwing a division into disarray if one (or both) tests positive.

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

think Lesnar will be back. Probably going to make Lesnar vs Jones. Jon will definitely be back, but it's too much of a risk to put him in a title fight again straight away. him vs Lesnar is the kind of fight that could headline a PPV, while not throwing a division into disarray if one (or both) tests positive.

That would be an incredible set up assuming both can pass a drug test. 

Archived