MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

I don't think it's a good sign some of the things we've heard Joanna saying about the first fight... blaming it on the weight cut, trying to brush off what happened, calling Rose a fluke. Sure we don't know what is actually going through her mind and where her focus is, but we often see when fighters don't admit that they got beat fair and square, the same thing will end up happening.

Gun to my head I'd probably pick Joanna to take it, but it's hard to say unless we know where their mindstate is coming in... I think we've got a good idea where Rose will be mentally, she's consistently shown a very level head, and she'll be going out there realistically knowing she can lose. However we don't know quite what Joanna will be thinking. If she still think she's invincible, Rose will take it, most likely by submission.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What ever happened to Saul Rogers or Ryan Hall from TUF 24?

Saul had that issue with lying on his visa, making it a bit tough for him to get back into the UFC, not to mention getting a visa to fight in the US. Last I heard he'd signed for Bellator. also, looking up on Sherdog now I see he lost his last fight in ACB. Will be interesting to see how he bounces back whenever he makes his Bellator debut.

Hall I got no idea... but I'm guessing he's not necessarily a high priority for the UFC, since he's not really an exciting fighter for the layman to watch. His fight against Maynard was technically very good, but turned a lot of people off to him, even though Maynard really made the fight boring by his decision not to engage on the ground. Ryan's a pretty big deal in the BJJ world, I'd imagine he's doing pretty well for cash outside of fighting, so he's also probably not banging down Dana's door to get fights. also not sure a whole lot of guys really want to fight him, he's kind of a tough matchup with his ability to attack the legs, since it's really hard to avoid that while getting close enough to exploit his weaker boxing.

1 hour ago, Buckrock101 said:

Saul had that issue with lying on his visa, making it a bit tough for him to get back into the UFC, not to mention getting a visa to fight in the US. Last I heard he'd signed for Bellator. also, looking up on Sherdog now I see he lost his last fight in ACB. Will be interesting to see how he bounces back whenever he makes his Bellator debut.

Hall I got no idea... but I'm guessing he's not necessarily a high priority for the UFC, since he's not really an exciting fighter for the layman to watch. His fight against Maynard was technically very good, but turned a lot of people off to him, even though Maynard really made the fight boring by his decision not to engage on the ground. Ryan's a pretty big deal in the BJJ world, I'd imagine he's doing pretty well for cash outside of fighting, so he's also probably not banging down Dana's door to get fights. also not sure a whole lot of guys really want to fight him, he's kind of a tough matchup with his ability to attack the legs, since it's really hard to avoid that while getting close enough to exploit his weaker boxing.

Saul seemed like he could be a threat at FW. You're right about Hall. What tricks he has aren't exactly exciting for the average fan but man I love it. Its something different. How many guys have several heel hook subs even against scrubs? I always thought that was cool At age 33, idk how many more fights he'll even want to do but i hope he comes back

I don't think it's a good sign some of the things we've heard Joanna saying about the first fight... blaming it on the weight cut, trying to brush off what happened, calling Rose a fluke. Sure we don't know what is actually going through her mind and where her focus is, but we often see when fighters don't admit that they got beat fair and square, the same thing will end up happening.

Gun to my head I'd probably pick Joanna to take it, but it's hard to say unless we know where their mindstate is coming in... I think we've got a good idea where Rose will be mentally, she's consistently shown a very level head, and she'll be going out there realistically knowing she can lose. However we don't know quite what Joanna will be thinking. If she still think she's invincible, Rose will take it, most likely by submission.

I'm so amped for this card man. 2 days before my birthday so i'm going wherever to see it. Wings and beer will be flowing. Love that Chiesa and Pettis are matched up too. Maverick isn't a major pressure fighter and he doesnt mind trading so maybe Pettis can get exciting. Been a huge Chiesa fan for a long time, just excited to see him fight a former champ. Iaquinta and Felder too? That will be a barn burner plus Lauzon vs anyone is always fun

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You just saw that? You stop following your boy that close? You dont think Chiesa can win via submission?

Just don't remember hearing anything about it. Of course he can but Pettis is difficult to finish. I know Poirier got a "sub" on him but his rib popped in that one so it was an injury sub. Outside of that, he's never been submitted.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't even think that Poirier fight would be considered a submission either...

14 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

lol just saw Pettis gets Chiesa at 223. Yeah, I'll go with Chiesa via UD for $1000, Alex.

I'll put my money on Pettis via submission. This dude has a thing for subbing great grapplers. His back game is killer, wouldn't shock me to see Chiesa take him down and get caught.

Also Chiesa isn't really a smothering grappler, the type that has beat Pettis in the past. He's more of a submission guy than an overall grappler, and Pettis is the same. The more I think about it I like this fight for Pettis a lot

You’re definitely right. He isnt going to pressure Pettis the way other guys have who had success. Its one of the reasons i liked the fight. Like when he fought Oli. He is a grappler, not a wrestler and Pettis won. Should be fun. Glad to see Chiesa get a name

Anyone have any fights they want to see with the guys going at UFC 223?

I'd be cool seeing the winner of Chiesa/Pettis fight Iaquinta if he wins. I'd love to see a Gaethje vs Pettis fight because it would be non-stop stand-up

I'd take the loser of Chiesa/Pettis or Iaquinta/Felder vs Anthony Hernandez coming off a huge upset over Dariush. The trash talk with him and Ragin Al would be epic

Also, I see Lobov is on the card. He talks so much about how great his hands are and how he can knock your head off but he is 2-4 in the UFC with 0 finishes...really milking that friendship with Mystic Mac

From wiki:

"Caceres is scheduled to face the greatest fighter of all time and the biggest PPV draw in combat sports Artem Lobov on April 7, 2018 at UFC 223.[44]"

Lol

Archived