MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

6 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Ben Askren is close to getting the Wisconsin head wrestling coach job. Sucks because I want to see him fight GSP. If he gets this job, he's not going to get the chance.

So why did he never come over? I feel like its a Dana thing but Askren also opened his mouth too which won't make uncle Dana happy

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So why did he never come over? I feel like its a Dana thing but Askren also opened his mouth too which won't make uncle Dana happy

I don't see him beating GSP or even Woodley for that matter. He would've just been a contender who wouldn't be a draw imo

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I don't see him beating GSP or even Woodley for that matter. He would've just been a contender who wouldn't be a draw imo

Pretty sure he was Woodley's wrestling coach, or at least training partner. Both have said they wouldn't fight each other iirc. Would be interesting to see him fight GSP or Maia. Tho I think he would destroy Maia.

8 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Pretty sure he was Woodley's wrestling coach, or at least training partner. Both have said they wouldn't fight each other iirc. Would be interesting to see him fight GSP or Maia. Tho I think he would destroy Maia.

Askren would put a whoopin' on Maia and he'd be a legitimate problem for GSP regardless of what anyone thinks. Dude is the most underrated fighter on the planet. People say he didn't fight anyone but he absolutely beat down Andrey Koreshkov and Douglas Lima. Both would be upper tier fighters in the UFC themselves. 

He got the Jon Fitch/Jake Shields treatment from Dana White despite the fact that he's nothing like them. Fitch and Shields never got better at standup while Askren did. He's not the greatest offensive striker but he avoids getting hit and he's solid in setting up his shots with his striking. He gets his hands on you and you're done. Never seen anyone like Ben Askren.

Honestly, I wish Ben would go to the WWE. He was born to be a heel. 

32 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Askren would put a whoopin' on Maia and he'd be a legitimate problem for GSP regardless of what anyone thinks. Dude is the most underrated fighter on the planet. People say he didn't fight anyone but he absolutely beat down Andrey Koreshkov and Douglas Lima. Both would be upper tier fighters in the UFC themselves. 

He got the Jon Fitch/Jake Shields treatment from Dana White despite the fact that he's nothing like them. Fitch and Shields never got better at standup while Askren did. He's not the greatest offensive striker but he avoids getting hit and he's solid in setting up his shots with his striking. He gets his hands on you and you're done. Never seen anyone like Ben Askren.

Honestly, I wish Ben would go to the WWE. He was born to be a heel. 

Shields got a fair kick and came over as his peak was expiring. Shields gave GSP a go. One of the judges gave GSP 50-45 which wasn't the case and I have a feeling Shields was roiding hence why he didn't decline gracefully.

I agree Lima and Koreshkov would be top 10 WW fighters as would Askren but I think GSP would sweep 5 rounds from Askren if they were to fight next month even. Just my 2 cents, Bellator WW division is better than UFC atm

Just now, BillsGuy82 said:

Shields got a fair kick and came over as his peak was expiring. Shields gave GSP a go. One of the judges gave GSP 50-45 which wasn't the case and I have a feeling Shields was roiding hence why he didn't decline gracefully.

I agree Lima and Koreshkov would be top 10 WW fighters as would Askren but I think GSP would sweep 5 rounds from Askren if they were to fight next month even. Just my 2 cents, Bellator WW division is better than UFC atm

I find that incredibly hard to believe but, of course, opinions are what they are.

5 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I find that incredibly hard to believe but, of course, opinions are what they are.

I'm trying to think back when GSP was ever even in trouble on the ground? Shields had him down, and he took Nick Diaz down 10+ times. Cesar Gracie guys have quality grappling as you know.

Did Fitch ever have GSP in trouble ? I can't remember that fight 

2 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Did Fitch ever have GSP in trouble ? I can't remember that fight 

No, that fight was an absolute mauling by GSP. Probably could've finished it 100x but rode out a massive UD instead.

I get where you're coming from though. GSP has a historic track record and is arguably the GOAT so I can't really question it. I just have a hard time seeing Askren getting shut out. 

Matt Hughes was really the only guy to give GSP fits on the ground IIRC. Submitted him with an armbar.

15 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

No, that fight was an absolute mauling by GSP. Probably could've finished it 100x but rode out a massive UD instead.

I get where you're coming from though. GSP has a historic track record and is arguably the GOAT so I can't really question it. I just have a hard time seeing Askren getting shut out. 

Matt Hughes was really the only guy to give GSP fits on the ground IIRC. Submitted him with an armbar.

I'm not even sure I've seen GSP/Hughes 1.

I watched Hughes / Serra UFC 98 grudge match the other day ironically enough.

Whose everyone got at 223 ? I'm not even doing parlay on this card because I have no ******* clue who will win.

My gut says Khabib and JJ win belts and I like Chiesa, Iaquinta and Herrig

15 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Isnt that Khabib in a nutshell?

14 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I'm not even sure I've seen GSP/Hughes 1.

I watched Hughes / Serra UFC 98 grudge match the other day ironically enough.

Whose everyone got at 223 ? I'm not even doing parlay on this card because I have no ******* clue who will win.

My gut says Khabib and JJ win belts and I like Chiesa, Iaquinta and Herrig

My gut says Khabib and JJ as well but my heart wants Rose and Tony

Archived