MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

12 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Dana also said they don't want Conor on short notice fights. They want him for the build up and press tours in order to max every dollar out of him. Short notice McGregor fight would probably actually cost them a lot of money.

Absolutely. No way in hell do you put your cash cow in a fight on short notice. His PPVs do a million+ every single time out now and you need a proper two-three month build up.

Halloway is seriously THAT dude. Khabib is a nightmare to fight and this guy didn't hesitate taking the fight on six days notice. His activity and striking from the outside could cause some problems, but ultimately he is likely to get GnP to death. Khabib is way too strong for him and will eventually get a hold of him and just beat him up.

Dana said he's never making Tony/Khabib again after this being the 4th time the fight got shelved. I don't blame him......

love max and think he's top 3 pfp. but i think ortega has a better shot against khabib.

there is rumors khabib got knocked in training last week though, so we'll see. there's no worse match-up for max. obviously. if he pulls this off he's #1 pfp imo. 

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

I'll never doubt Max tbh. I just can't doubt someone that disposed of Aldo the way he did...twice.

But, of course, Khabib is an entirely different animal.

i know we're still gonna get the fight eventually, but w/ max on the streak he's on & ortega looking so fun and being undefeated, that match-up would've been so ******* nice right now. like ferguson v. khabib :( . which we're never gonna get. mma is such a bummer. not complaining, max v. khabib is good stuff. those two match-ups were so exciting as the obvious moves in those divisions though. timing is everything and this fight could kinda dampen the max v. ortega intrigue. i see ppl saying max has nothing to lose and he's just showing he's a g. i agree he's a g for taking this ****, but it still definitely does dampen things if he loses. and then we've had months of conor v. khabib/ferguson on twitter and what not. if max wins we jump right into that rematch. which they'll generate hype, but... you know what... i dont know what im getting at. just sucks when "re-writes" have to be performed on the narrative that the fighters are generating. i somehow wrote almost 6 lines and dont know what i even said lol. 

8 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Honestly...I think Khabib is gonna rag doll Max.  I think Max is tough, and his TDD is good, but Khabib's wrestling is on a whole different level.  On the feet, Max has a distinct advantage.  If somehow he were able to keep it standing, he would win fairly easily I believe.  I can't see him keeping that mauler off of him for any length of time.  He also doesn't have one punch KO power imo.  Khabib should be able to eat some shots, to get the takedown, which I think will come sooner that later.  After that...It's ground n pound city for Max.  Oddsmakers opened up with Khabib being a 5 to 1 favorite. 

And this is why I'm just not that excited about this fight. At least we know Ferguson is good on his back and we all expect it to go there. Its just a matter of can Ferguson sub him from the bottom but Max isn't there. We all expect Max to be better on the feet but we knew the same of Edson. 

4 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

love max and think he's top 3 pfp. but i think ortega has a better shot against khabib.

there is rumors khabib got knocked in training last week though, so we'll see. there's no worse match-up for max. obviously. if he pulls this off he's #1 pfp imo. 

Huh?

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Ortega vs. Khabib would be fun. Kinda wish they went that route instead.

Agreed for the reasons i mentioned above. We all know this fighting is going to the ground. Its a matter of what the challenger does vs Khabib on the ground that will be the difference. Ortega has better subs than Max and therefore provides and interesting wrinkle much like Tony provided. 

So pissed this isn't happening. I understand where Dana is coming from. So twice Ferg backed out and twice Khabib? This sucks

1 hour ago, jfinley88 said:

Might have been a troll? I was listening to Jack Slack's (the dude who tweeted it) YouTube pod and he was making fun of Zab Judah for going into camps and knocking boxers out before their fights (think he did it to Manny or Floyd). Wasn't really paying attention but I thought he was just making fun of him. Will go back to see if it was about Khabib.

Actually it might be boxing joke, read the comments. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was making a joke. It's part of his character.

Yup.

Archived