MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

it really sucks for Ferguson though. he's the interim champion (don't know what's going to happen with that now), maybe the top lightweight fighter in the world right now, but now he's going to be pushed way back. don't know how long he's going to be out with this knee injury, but regardless, Conor is 100% going to fight the winner. if it's Khabib, then Khabib vs Conor in Russia. if it's Max, then that's the rematch we've needed for a long time, the two division champ vs the two division champ who never lost his belts. Tony's going to be long forgotten now.

If Max Holloway beats Khabib it will open up so many potential high profile fights for him and he'll stay active I believe.

Holloway / McGregor

Holloway / Diaz 

Holloway / Ortega 

This sucks for Ferguson and he'll be back but damnn let's go Max Holloway 

10 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Sucks for Ferguson. Does he have the belt or just the interim?

He only has the interim belt.

I'm not sure what's happening with that now. Dana said that once Holloway and Khabib step inside the octagon, they're fighting for the undisputed belt. So does Tony stay the interim champ? Or is it stripped? and then if he keeps the interim belt but the winner of this fight is undisputed, there's another tricky situation, since Conor will almost certainly face the winner.

Not complaining about anything, this isn't a "f** interim belts" post. just an unfortunate, complicated situation.

one positive thing here, if Holloway wins, he's one of the only guys in the promotion you would expect to be active defending both belts. he's a G, great fighter, and one of the only guys who talks the "anyone, anytime" angle and actually backs it up.

6 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

He only has the interim belt.

I'm not sure what's happening with that now. Dana said that once Holloway and Khabib step inside the octagon, they're fighting for the undisputed belt. So does Tony stay the interim champ? Or is it stripped? and then if he keeps the interim belt but the winner of this fight is undisputed, there's another tricky situation, since Conor will almost certainly face the winner.

Not complaining about anything, this isn't a "f** interim belts" post. just an unfortunate, complicated situation.

Tony is getting stripped. Conor gets stripped the moment the fight actually happens. So, basically, come Saturday, the title is vacant.

Dana also said they don't want Conor on short notice fights. They want him for the build up and press tours in order to max every dollar out of him. Short notice McGregor fight would probably actually cost them a lot of money.

what do people think about Holloway's chances? I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. If he had a proper camp I think I'd favor him over Khabib. He has the striking game to keep Khabib at bay on the feet. Barboza's problem was he prefers to just stand at distance and trade, he doesn't utilize movement a whole lot. Holloway on the other hand is really slippery and super active, I think he could give Khabib some trouble. Then again, Khabib's not going to have a reach disadvantage like he would against Tony, and Max will likely be quite a bit smaller since his frame is built around cutting to 145. Holloway might have a hard time stopping Khabib from getting the takedown, especially as he hasn't had the a camp training for Khabib's takedowns.

The key will be if Khabib can get a takedown in the first. We've seen against Johnson and Barboza that once he gets that first takedown and time on top, it totally changes the game. even though Holloway has amazing cardio, it's doubtful that can last through a round of Khabib's gnp. Holloway will want to dance around and play quite safe during the early rounds, and ramp it up from the 3rd onwards, as he did against Aldo. I just don't know if he can avoid the takedown for that long.

7 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Tony is getting stripped. Conor gets stripped the moment the fight actually happens. So, basically, come Saturday, the title is vacant.

then again, Conor being stripped doesn't necessarily mean Tony will be. We've just seen a precedent for two fighters fighting for the actual title while another is holding the interim belt, with the Bisping/GSP/Whittaker situation

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/4/1/17186850/ufc-223-tony-ferguson-loses-interim-lightweight-title-injury-mma-news

Ok, Dana has confirmed that the interim title is stripped too.

Fascinated to see what the 155 landscape looks like by the time he comes back. You've got the winner of this fight, Conor, Eddie, and potentially time for one or more of Gaethje, Poirier, Lee, Barboza, Diaz, Chiesa, Pettis, Vick to step into contention. this was Tony's time now, as a bunch of the other contenders are still one or two wins away. not sure if Tony will be at the top of the heap in a year's time.

I am a huge fan of both Tony and Khabib and truly felt this was a pickem fight so still pretty bummed about that fight not happening now and most likely never happening. I will say Tony has been talking a ton of crap about Khabib better show and make weight and not get hurt and now this?  I was getting a little tired of him being so focused on that and cant believe he is now the one pulling out.

As for Max I think he has become a top 2 or 3 fighter for me on the roster. I have nothing bad to say about him and if anyone is going to pull this off it is him. But I just don't see it happening for him. He wont be able to pace himself and watch his opponent start to slow like Aldo because Khabib has the best pressure of maybe any fighter out there. I don't think Max has the 1 punch power to end it before Khabib gets to take him down and do some work. I think this sets up Khabib and Conor  in Moscow in sept. If you find any interview from Barbozas camp post fight all of them have said that in training nobody takes him down, and if they do he is back up faster than anyone else. They were all shocked at how Khabib did what he did. I just cant see Max keeping it on its feet the entire fight to win his style of fight.

Let me throw out 1 last thing here. I know Dana said that the interim belt is going away and that  once this fight happens its for the official LW title, but what if Khabib doesn't make 155? If he doesn't make championship weight then what? There is a lot of things going forward hanging on that  one aspect. 

I admit i thought this was a joke that Uncle Dana and company pulled and now i feel sick to see its real.

What was the injury? 

I feel like Holloway has nothing to lose but everything to gain while Khabib is more the opposite. He SHOULD win because he has had a full camp and is the bigger guy easily

11 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

what do people think about Holloway's chances? I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. If he had a proper camp I think I'd favor him over Khabib. He has the striking game to keep Khabib at bay on the feet. Barboza's problem was he prefers to just stand at distance and trade, he doesn't utilize movement a whole lot. Holloway on the other hand is really slippery and super active, I think he could give Khabib some trouble. Then again, Khabib's not going to have a reach disadvantage like he would against Tony, and Max will likely be quite a bit smaller since his frame is built around cutting to 145. Holloway might have a hard time stopping Khabib from getting the takedown, especially as he hasn't had the a camp training for Khabib's takedowns.

The key will be if Khabib can get a takedown in the first. We've seen against Johnson and Barboza that once he gets that first takedown and time on top, it totally changes the game. even though Holloway has amazing cardio, it's doubtful that can last through a round of Khabib's gnp. Holloway will want to dance around and play quite safe during the early rounds, and ramp it up from the 3rd onwards, as he did against Aldo. I just don't know if he can avoid the takedown for that long.

Honestly...I think Khabib is gonna rag doll Max.  I think Max is tough, and his TDD is good, but Khabib's wrestling is on a whole different level.  On the feet, Max has a distinct advantage.  If somehow he were able to keep it standing, he would win fairly easily I believe.  I can't see him keeping that mauler off of him for any length of time.  He also doesn't have one punch KO power imo.  Khabib should be able to eat some shots, to get the takedown, which I think will come sooner that later.  After that...It's ground n pound city for Max.  Oddsmakers opened up with Khabib being a 5 to 1 favorite. 

Archived