Week #9 Game Day Thread Steelers vs. Colts

Steeler Hitman

56 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

that sucks, but I'm not surprised. the trainer/doctor whoever on sideline looked seriously concerned diagnosing it last week.

I didn't buy how much Tomlin downplayed it in his presser.

Maybe they should sign a decent FA after all

I was against signing a FA until this news. I think you’re right.

Unless Fichtner can scheme a good game for Samuels. He’s done it before a few times. I don’t love our third down back being some dude I’ve never heard of.

Edited by MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, August4th said:

yep.. knowing the steelers recent track record with defensive backs they don't draft and develop a all-pro caliber safety with picks 14-17 and someone like Minka would not be available at that spot either

exactly. Do you (or anyone here) trust colbert to draft a safety and will the safety be as good as Minkah is now or ever be as good. History has shown, highly unlikely.   I see other areas of need on the team, at least FS and CB appear set for a few years.If they traded for him and he wasn't good, I could see the people getting upset or if he never played , remembering Boykin never playing for some reason. 

Minkah probably has more TO's caused than the safeties had for the last few years here.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Schefter reporting Conner might not be back next week. Maybe Fichter can cater the offense more toward Samuels' skillset next week.

or keep relying on defence and Bos. I can't expect anything from the OC other than bad play calling.

1 minute ago, SlevinKelevra said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

wow. just wow.

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-axis/

Spin axis is what creates curvature.  What people assume is "side spin" is the spin axis and what percent effects curvature.  The curvature of a golf ball is much like the flight of an airplane.  As one side of the axis dips more, the ball will curve more that direction.  Why is that?  It's impossible for a golf ball to spin on more than a single axis at a time.  Sidespin has become the uneducated way to talk about the relationship of face an path, where spin axis is what's really happening.

Ever see a football kicked fly anything other than backspin with maybe a slight angle?  No.  Because that's the spin axis at work where it always flies end over end.

You are clearly trying to sound like an expert in a field you know nothing about, against someone with 15 years experience and a master 2 level PGA Professional.

38 minutes ago, August4th said:

that's a pathetic stat line seeing that they haven't had someone with 4+ in 16 games in 9 years and that player was  1st ballot HOF Troy.  Right now Minkah is only half way through the season and  this is in 6 games with the steelers.  Is he going to end up with 10 Int's considering the weak schedule later in the season.  Get a win next week and that week 17 game starts to look interesting especially if the pats win tonight. 

I don't get into the games that much with the way this team plays, but if they can get a string of wins going and gradually improve, it will make for a decent season. Right now it's more like winning ugly but it's still winning I guess.  Without Minkah , the defence would be much different, he was the player I hoped they would trade for and they did thankfully.  He saves the secondary often, big plays and the stats have shown major improvement since his arrival.

Edited by 3rivers

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

that's a pathetic stat line seeing that they haven't had someone with 4+ in 16 games in 9 years and that player was  1st ballot HOF Troy.  Right now Minkah is only half way through the season and  this is in 6 games with the steelers.  Is he going to end up with 10 Int's considering the weak schedule later in the season.  Get a win next week and that week 17 game starts to look interesting especially if the pats win tonight. 

I'm kinda curious what other teams look like because there's bound to be some teams.  Although I would say for a long time we feasted on forced fumbles and fumble recoveries.

Just now, warfelg said:

I'm kinda curious what other teams look like because there's bound to be some teams.  Although I would say for a long time we feasted on forced fumbles and fumble recoveries.

TO's help defences , but this team has seriously lacked that for years.  Once you get over 40 TO's, that is a defence that can influence games and the oppositions gamelans a bit more.  It looks like this team could get past 40 TO's this season, and it's been a while since that has happened.

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-axis/

Spin axis is what creates curvature.  What people assume is "side spin" is the spin axis and what percent effects curvature.  The curvature of a golf ball is much like the flight of an airplane.  As one side of the axis dips more, the ball will curve more that direction.  Why is that?  It's impossible for a golf ball to spin on more than a single axis at a time.  Sidespin has become the uneducated way to talk about the relationship of face an path, where spin axis is what's really happening.

Ever see a football kicked fly anything other than backspin with maybe a slight angle?  No.  Because that's the spin axis at work where it always flies end over end.

You are clearly trying to sound like an expert in a field you know nothing about, against someone with 15 years experience and a master 2 level PGA Professional.

LMAO.  I know what you do for a living, you are probably good at it.  A lot of people are good at things they don't actually understand.  This is apparently one such case.

Measured Axes are arbitrary to their frame of reference, and when people are talking about things like physics , and vectors,  they usually decompose them into components along primary coordinate systems or axes.   When you say "spin axis" you are just combining the effects of separate back spin and side spin axes into a single axis.  You're currently moving through the universe at a speed greater than 450000 miles per hour.  Do you realize or perceive it? Do you talk about it that way? 

Here's some basic reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_of_basis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_around_a_fixed_axis

What you are arguing is an extreme example of saying the earth doesn't rotate from west to east just because the north pole actually has a true 23.5 degree axial tilt relative to its motion around the sun.    When people say "sidespin", "slice", "draw" they of course mean lateral curvature effects observed in the flight of the ball relative to its initial striaght line path.  And that (in the absence of wind, etc) can not happen without rotational momentum components which have non-zero values when projected onto that lateral basis set.

If you truly think there is no such thing as sidespin, you should sue companies like SkyTrak (and all your fellow PGA pro  brethren)   for defrauding the public by making and selling Launch Monitors and club-fitting sessions that measure side spin.    I'd even volunteer to self-ban myself from this forum if you had the courage of your convictions to file that lawsuit and win it.

Edited by SlevinKelevra

I think we absolutely have to bring Bud back next year. Look how quickly our defense fell apart when Woodley couldn’t hold up anymore. Our defense is legit with two outside rushers. Also, who is going to play OLB for us if we don’t bring him back? Ola hasn’t been very good and Chick suuuuucks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we absolutely have to bring Bud back next year. Look how quickly our defense fell apart when Woodley couldn’t hold up anymore. Our defense is legit with two outside rushers. Also, who is going to play OLB for us if we don’t bring him back? Ola hasn’t been very good and Chick suuuuucks.

Find a way to structure a REALLY rich performance-incentive laden contract.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Was honestly just coming to say this. That’s the problem with this replay vs turnovers and scores. 

They tell the refs to err on the side of scores and TO because they can fix it in replay. But this interference stuff? They aren’t fixing, so no one knows how to do this. 

I used the example just before, but the Upholding of the Pascal NOT committing OPI is the same as upholding Johnson’s called OPI. How can both things be the same but called and upheld differently? 

It just seems no one is on the same page here and they are not willing to overturn it unless somethings blatantly obvious. 

I personally think it's an actual effort from the ref's to force there to be less intervention into their jobs.  Honestly.

I think what makes me sad, is the original idea to have a replay center started with Peiera, then when Dean Blandino became the head of officiating the NFL built the replay center.  He spent 1 season there, then he kinda screwed the NFL.  He was able to keep his day job (this is going to be an argument for all refs full time), and take a job with Fox only doing Sundays and a few other days here and there.  There's a reason Peiera and Blandino are so good at getting calls right.  Because it was their jobs to do this.  The NFL was forced to to rock with just Al Riveron, who was initially selected to be just the 'B' guy. 

I think clearly the NFL whiffed here and has got to find a way to get Peiera and/or Blandino back into the fold.  Like maybe give a blank check and see what happens.