NFL Draft: What do we need NOW and LATER

JaguarCrazy2832

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Tua I make an exception for personally. I'd prefer to ride with Minshew but if you can get a guy I see as a special QB prospect I'm always for it until you know you have the guy.

But I completely hear your reservations and get it. I'd also prefer to not let Dave another crack at a QB.

I've got my own guy i'd make an exception for...but it's Eason, so it's obviously talking more like a high 2nd round pick.  Instead of trading all of the picks, for one broken guy.

I'm actually not sure what's more scary though in what you're talking about...

Dealing up for Tua?  Or like you said...Dave taking another kick at the can, and just spending everything to get Justin Herbert.

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I've got my own guy i'd make an exception for...but it's Eason, so it's obviously talking more like a high 2nd round pick.  Instead of trading all of the picks, for one broken guy.

I'm actually not sure what's more scary though in what you're talking about...

Dealing up for Tua?  Or like you said...Dave taking another kick at the can, and just spending everything to get Justin Herbert.

Fwiw Dilla said the guy we like is Love between those two, but neither would be taken top 10. So take that for what it's worth.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Fwiw Dilla said the guy we like is Love between those two, but neither would be taken top 10. So take that for what it's worth.

The stuff about Love is weird.  Considering that looooooooong after the fact...it was kinda "leaked" that Mahomes was Davey Caldwells guy.  Never really bought into that nonsense because there was absolutely nothing to back it up, but could he be desperate enough to overcompensate on things and draft "Mahomey lite" that early?

19 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The stuff about Love is weird.  Considering that looooooooong after the fact...it was kinda "leaked" that Mahomes was Davey Caldwells guy.  Never really bought into that nonsense because there was absolutely nothing to back it up, but could he be desperate enough to overcompensate on things and draft "Mahomey lite" that early?

At 20/small trade up? Not sure it'd shock me.

At 9? No, imo.

25 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

At 20/small trade up? Not sure it'd shock me.

At 9? No, imo.

I don't think any of us thought Bortle at 3 was a thing that was going to happen, up until very close to the draft.  And even afterward...it was kinda hard to accept.

30 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't think any of us thought Bortle at 3 was a thing that was going to happen, up until very close to the draft.  And even afterward...it was kinda hard to accept.

Fair, but we also had no QB then. Minshew outperformed most rookies last year and looks like a high end backup at worst. He has flaws that need to be addressed/worked on, but to me he looks like the most competent QB we've had since Garrard.

Just feel like they're very much different situations.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fair, but we also had no QB then. Minshew outperformed most rookies last year and looks like a high end backup at worst. He has flaws that need to be addressed/worked on, but to me he looks like the most competent QB we've had since Garrard.

Just feel like they're very much different situations.

True.  But going into that Bortle draft...we did have Henne, who Gabbert had managed to make look vaguely competent by comparison.  Obviously a different scenario, because Minshew is way younger and on that all too important cheap *** contract that's worth more than it's weight in gold if he ends up being the guy after all.  But i don't think it's THAT far off from the Bortles draft year, in that there was a guy there.  I mean...CHenne was the presumptive starter heading into that year...kinda.  Things obviously changed quickly.

Like..."high end backup" isn't exactly enough to stave off a QB draft pick from a secure regime.  It shouldn't be for this regime either.  I'd be drafting a QB.  It'd just be a guy at 20 or probably just wait until the guy i like falls to our 2nd round pick.

But that Bortles draft...everyone here was was almost universally pumping Teddy's tires.  So who actually knows what Dave will do?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

True.  But going into that Bortle draft...we did have Henne, who Gabbert had managed to make look vaguely competent by comparison.  Obviously a different scenario, because Minshew is way younger and on that all too important cheap *** contract that's worth more than it's weight in gold if he ends up being the guy after all.  But i don't think it's THAT far off from the Bortles draft year, in that there was a guy there.  I mean...CHenne was the presumptive starter heading into that year...kinda.  Things obviously changed quickly.

Like..."high end backup" isn't exactly enough to stave off a QB draft pick from a secure regime.  It shouldn't be for this regime either.  I'd be drafting a QB.  It'd just be a guy at 20 or probably just wait until the guy i like falls to our 2nd round pick.

But that Bortles draft...everyone here was was almost universally pumping Teddy's tires.  So who actually knows what Dave will do?

I need to watch more Herbert in case it happens. Love seems intriguing due to tools, and I love Tua personally (although again, I get the injury reservations).

Idk, I still don't think it happens but the talk is growing. Hard to tell if it's purely speculating or if they heard something. But Dave also has always kept his plans super tight to the chest.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I need to watch more Herbert in case it happens. Love seems intriguing due to tools, and I love Tua personally (although again, I get the injury reservations).

Idk, I still don't think it happens but the talk is growing. Hard to tell if it's purely speculating or if they heard something. But Dave also has always kept his plans super tight to the chest.

That has been a hallmark of the Dave in charge regime.  He's kept things very secret, up until the last moment.

I just can't imagine you're going to be able to watch a lot of Herbert without feeling like it's basically Bortles...with a more natural throwing motion and less swagger.

I'm still fully of the mind that we should be grabbing someone out of Eason or Love, and see what happens from there.  I love Minshew...i just don't think he's the guy.  At best...he's that "Cinderella Story" guy that goes deep when the rest of the team is elite.  And right now...the rest of our team is more ****e than elite.

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

That has been a hallmark of the Dave in charge regime.  He's kept things very secret, up until the last moment.

I just can't imagine you're going to be able to watch a lot of Herbert without feeling like it's basically Bortles...with a more natural throwing motion and less swagger.

I'm still fully of the mind that we should be grabbing someone out of Eason or Love, and see what happens from there.  I love Minshew...i just don't think he's the guy.  At best...he's that "Cinderella Story" guy that goes deep when the rest of the team is elite.  And right now...the rest of our team is more ****e than elite.

Well, just hope Dilla has the correct plug in saying we like Love more than Herbert because I don't think Love is getting taken over him.

He definitely profiles (Herbert) as a guy we haven't done well with so I'd prefer to steer clear as well.

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

i like love more then eason.  i think Loves Problems last year go back to a HC change along with losing a good bit of help and having to try to play hero ball.  

Love is that dude u sit for a year to learn like Mahomes. 

10 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

whos the Guard? im guessing u mean wirfs but im sure a team will take him and try him outside with his Combine numbers. 

I mean...it's possible.  But if Scherff wasn't an NFL tackle...is Wirfs really going to be?