NFL Draft: What do we need NOW and LATER

JaguarCrazy2832

1 minute ago, Justwinning said:

@Tugboat @.Buzz

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I hope you guys can turn it around with Minshew. I like that dude.

No problemo.  It's always interesting to hear or mingle thoughts and opinions with other team fans.  Can give some different perspective.  Can be too easy to get into a narrow closed off echo chamber within only one particular fanbase at times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

No problemo.  It's always interesting to hear or mingle thoughts and opinions with other team fans.  Can give some different perspective.  Can be too easy to get into a narrow closed off echo chamber within only one particular fanbase at times.

Definitely. I see a lot of you Jags fans everywhere which is cool. Similar to the Raiders forum in terms of level of activity here. 

Has there been any indication on JAX being interested in Jordan Love or is Minshew your guy going forward?

2 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Definitely. I see a lot of you Jags fans everywhere which is cool. Similar to the Raiders forum in terms of level of activity here. 

Has there been any indication on JAX being interested in Jordan Love or is Minshew your guy going forward?

Hasn't seem to have the heat to really indicate they're not going to let Minshew have a little run.  Beyond the usual draft rumblings you hear every year.

One thing to note, is that Dave Caldwell who is back in charge now that Coughlin is fired in disgrace...is that in the past, Caldwell has been known to run a pretty darn tight ship.  We've had plenty of real "surprise" picks with him.  Where even most of the organization themselves didn't know who the guy was gonna be at the top of the draft.  So we'll have to see what happens this year, or if some "insiders" have finally got their claws into his staff.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

There's murmurs we like Love and Tua, but I don't think that necessarily means we'd take either.

I expect us to stay away from QB and go for building up the team around him, but as @Tugboat said, Dave is one of the better GMs as far as keeping it tight lipped with zero idea where we're going.

If I was Khan, I wouldn't let Dave take another QB because if we don't hit a win threshold and they're ousted next year you're going to cut off a section of available GMs/HCs if they don't like the young QB you spent a premium pick on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

There's murmurs we like Love and Tua, but I don't think that necessarily means we'd take either.

I expect us to stay away from QB and go for building up the team around him, but as @Tugboat said, Dave is one of the better GMs as far as keeping it tight lipped with zero idea where we're going.

If I was Khan, I wouldn't let Dave take another QB because if we don't hit a win threshold and they're ousted next year you're going to cut off a section of available GMs/HCs if they don't like the young QB you spent a premium pick on.

Yeah.  It's kinda sucky in some ways, to tie a GMs hand like that...and it's part of why i didn't really like going back to Caldwell for this.  But it'd be hard to let him take a second shot at a top pick QB like that.  And it'd be even harder to bring in top new GM candidates to replace him if they're coming in already tied to the "last guys" QB pick like that.   Top GMs always want to ride or die with "their guy" at the most important position.  Not a hand-me-down...unless that's the guy they'd have wanted anyway.  But that's obviously going to limit the pool of guys.

47 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It's kinda sucky in some ways, to tie a GMs hand like that...and it's part of why i didn't really like going back to Caldwell for this.  But it'd be hard to let him take a second shot at a top pick QB like that.  And it'd be even harder to bring in top new GM candidates to replace him if they're coming in already tied to the "last guys" QB pick like that.   Top GMs always want to ride or die with "their guy" at the most important position.  Not a hand-me-down...unless that's the guy they'd have wanted anyway.  But that's obviously going to limit the pool of guys.

Definitely not an ideal situation to be in. I like the idea of riding with Minshew regardless, but if they really think Love is Mahomes 2.0 or Tua is a franchise guy I'd also like to make sure QB is set whether that's Minshew or not.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Looks like Jags met with Tua here in the past couple days over FaceTime.

Kinda hard to tell if that really means anything.  Pretty standard fare for teams to meet with top QBs, in a typical offseason at least.  If for nothing else, to build a bit of a book on what makes the guy tick.  But also just in being prepared in case they fall to them...You don't want to end up like the Jaguars rube of a GM in that phenomenal "Draft Day" motion picture.

But this offseason is weird.  So who knows...?

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Kinda hard to tell if that really means anything.  Pretty standard fare for teams to meet with top QBs, in a typical offseason at least.  If for nothing else, to build a bit of a book on what makes the guy tick.  But also just in being prepared in case they fall to them...You don't want to end up like the Jaguars rube of a GM in that phenomenal "Draft Day" motion picture.

But this offseason is weird.  So who knows...?

Definitely doesn't mean much. Just interesting.