Offseason Work to do

mwalker

1 minute ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am not disagreeing there. I am speaking off the top of my head. Again, my point is that he is not anywhere near what I thought he would be and I believe he can be upgraded. I am ready to move on from him. Again, I was one of his biggest fans and supported him like crazy. Just not anymore.  Nothing against the big guy and I wish he would turn the corner but he really hasn't and I don't think he ever will. We sometimes talk floor and ceiling and his ceiling is a lot of potential young guy's floor. Bring in some talent and let them compete. That's all I am really saying. I am not resting on his ability.

I don’t see the problem with keeping him. Not everyone can be John Henderson. It would be great if Dan could have developed into something but he didn’t. I just don’t think we need to spend money on his replacement because he plays one of the least important roles in football.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t see the problem with keeping him. Not everyone can be John Henderson. It would be great if Dan could have developed into something but he didn’t. I just don’t think we need to spend money on his replacement because he plays one of the least important roles in football.

I'd be happy if he played like Florence Henderson.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He’s going to stand there for 10 snaps a game. Who cares if he’s below average?

So your argument to keep a bad player is because they don't play a lot?  Did it occur to you that if the player was better they could play more?  Yes I know NT isn't used a lot but Hargraves was on the field for over 60% of the snaps.  So replace those snaps with Buggs and Florence?  Terrible plan.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

So your argument to keep a bad player is because they don't play a lot?  Did it occur to you that if the player was better they could play more?  Yes I know NT isn't used a lot but Hargraves was on the field for over 60% of the snaps.  So replace those snaps with Buggs and Florence?  Terrible plan.   

If I'm going to replace Hargraves with Buggs/Wormley, we better be in nickel/dime.  The NG should only be for shortyardage/goalline/running teams on 1st down

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

My argument is that is a waste of resources to upgrade a position we don’t need. He’s going to do exactly what we need of him for cheap. Why would we sign someone for more money to play a position that barely affects the game.

Also Hargrave was on the field a lot because Tuitt was hurt and he was the next best pass rusher. Now we have Tuitt back and a( hopefully) improves Buggs to do that.

Edited by MOSteelers56

1 minute ago, kurgan said:

If I'm going to replace Hargraves with Buggs/Wormley, we better be in nickel/dime.  The NG should only be for shortyardage/goalline/running teams on 1st down

Yes but McCullers is worthless in that situation.  Ideally you draft or sign a short yardage guy and draft or sign a nickel/dime guy.  Tho I feel they're just gonna role with Buggs and Wormely as the nickel/dime NT.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My argument is that is a waste of resources to upgrade a position we don’t need. He’s going to do exactly what we need of him for cheap. Why would we sign someone for more money to play a position that barely affects the game.

Who says it would be more money?  A Rookie would be cheaper.  What is it he does that we need him to do? 

• Like 1

Yes but McCullers is worthless in that situation.  Ideally you draft or sign a short yardage guy and draft or sign a nickel/dime guy.  Tho I feel they're just gonna role with Buggs and Wormely as the nickel/dime NT.  

Yep... we have at least 4 bodies for that interior nickel pass rush.  Tuitt/Heyward/Buggs and now Wormley.  Takes my dream of Davis from Bama off the needs list at 2.49, but we are set with the exception of 1 pure NG.  I'd draft or UDFA a guy to compete with Shade Tree, IMO.

• Like 2

Who says it would be more money?  A Rookie would be cheaper.  What is it he does that we need him to do? 

Sure, a rookie will be cheaper. But do you want to waste a high draft pick on a position we don’t use? And is a 7th round rookie better than Dan? I’d argue no. We have positions we could fill that are more important.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Sure, a rookie will be cheaper. But do you want to waste a high draft pick on a position we don’t use? And is a 7th round rookie better than Dan? I’d argue no. We have positions we could fill that are more important.

Draft B. Jones in the 7th and have them compete.

• Like 1

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

Dan was a 6th Rdr.  Yes, a late Rdr would be better.  He's been in the League 6 years and at most has played 17% of the snaps.  He cannot get on the field because he is not very good.  

• Like 1