Offseason Work to do

mwalker

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He isnt terrible.  He would give us a much better chance than any current backup we have.

Problem 1 is, he may not be a starting caliber QB.  Would be a decent stop gap after Ben, though.

Problem 2, however, is that Winston has a massive ego, even moreso than Ben.  He isnt going to come here for cheap for 2 or 3 years to sit behind Ben. 

He will likely sign with a team where he has a chance to start this year.  Im thinking he ends up taking a 1 year deal with a team like Miami or Washington.

Where are you getting that he has a massive ego..? I went to FSU while Jameis was QB there, I’ve been following him extremely closely since the day he stepped foot on campus. For all his flaws, he’s never been questioned for having a big ego and he damn sure doesn’t have a bigger ego than Ben. I think you’re just making that up.

And news flash, he’s not signing with the Dolphins and the Redskins already said no. He’s not getting a flat out chance to be the starter anywhere (besides NE) which is why this is even a discussion. 

@wwhickok I’d like to have Jameis because I’m a Jameis believer. This may sound crazy but hes has terrible eye sight and refused to wear contacts throughout his entire career. That’s why you see him constantly squinting looking up at the scoreboard/replays. As someone with bad near sighted vision myself, I can’t imagine being an NFL QB without wearing contacts. Jameis got Lasik this off season which I think will cut down the turnovers drastically.

Jameis is loaded with talent, has a ton of heart, and is a natural leader. He has all the intangibles and I think learning behind Ben for a season or two can correct some of his issues. He would be the best backup in the league and give us an emergency plan if Ben isn’t the same player this season or gets injured again. 

With that being said, it would have to be an extremely team friendly deal and a low cap hit this year but even then I don’t think it happens. Colbert/Tomlin have expressed numerous times they are “satisfied” with the current QB room and I believe they still have faith in Mason. Why waste that cap space on Jameis when we could use it elsewhere to try and get another ring while we still have Ben.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He ripped into Ben after he left.  Dont see that happening.

I don’t either but this article is why I mentioned it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-emmanuel-sanders-says-hed-love-to-rejoin-steelers-calls-bridge-with-ben-roethlisberger-burnt/amp/

Edited by bigben07MVP

I think winston can still be saved. He will always be a turnover prone QB, but if he can fix his issues(he's only 25), he'll be more like Ben with the turnovers instead of eli. I can live with a 4,500-5,000 30-35 TD 13-16 int type 17 gm season from him.

Edited by August4th

QB is a strange position to play. Its like a ven diagram of Throwing Ability, Play Intellect, Decision making, Accuracy, and Physicality. Finding a dude in the middle of those circles is rough. Usually, you need to pick which traits mean the most to you. 

Personally, give me a guy who can MAKE all the throws and let me worry about some other things later with development. Winston can MAKE every throw in the book and sometimes he looks damn good doing it. Duck Hodges is a prime example of his short comings physically causing issues. The Bills came was a great example of him just not being able to make a play with his arm and get the ball where it needed to be. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Making room to trade for Lev Bell

Much rather just burn a 2nd rd pick on their preferred RB and sign 2 mid tier FAs at positions of need instead of absorbing his deal.

Im guessing you were being facetious though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

QB is a strange position to play. Its like a ven diagram of Throwing Ability, Play Intellect, Decision making, Accuracy, and Physicality. Finding a dude in the middle of those circles is rough. Usually, you need to pick which traits mean the most to you. 

Personally, give me a guy who can MAKE all the throws and let me worry about some other things later with development. Winston can MAKE every throw in the book and sometimes he looks damn good doing it. Duck Hodges is a prime example of his short comings physically causing issues. The Bills came was a great example of him just not being able to make a play with his arm and get the ball where it needed to be. 

you don't throw for 33 TDs without having physical tools.  

18 minutes ago, jebrick said:

That you only have someone in 50% of the time.  Not going to spend a lot on that DT

I get that but it's still a need.  I don't think Billings will command much.  He was my "not gonna spend a lot" option. 

*1 year 3.5 million.  

Edited by Chieferific

14 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I get that but it's still a need.  I don't think Billings will command much.  He was my "not gonna spend a lot" option. 

*1 year 3.5 million.  

Dang... who is left for IOL and DT??

Also, we gonna get a S?? Kearse is gone, but what about Deon Bush??

22 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think they sign Vannett after the draft.  They might be done for now

Even if true, there are a ton of depth issues right now...

maybe WR...at least 1 OL, probably2....NT, maybe ILB, at least 1 S, probably 2.

I try to be a realist...they gotta sign at least 1 depth FA before the draft occurs.

So, I'm seeing IOL, NG, ILB (with ST capabilities), TE #2, 3rd S (personally a FS type) as needs left.  

I'd rank them:

1) IOL

2) S

3) NG

4) TE

5) ILB

Love to get a Max Garcia (or Jon Person from SF), a Deon Bush, Al Woods and maybe Vannett...