Offseason Work to do

mwalker

32 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I just don’t know how I feel about sliding Feiler to guard. Of course that is an option but using our top pick on starting left guard creates a much better scenario with more continuity. If Cushenberry or Ruiz are there I think we have to take them.

I don't disagree. I would love either of those 2.  I'm hypothesizing on how the Steelers may be thinking.  If OG/RT is solidified in their minds prior to the draft they may go ILB/S Hybrid @ #49 with Dugger or Chin being the pick.  Or somewhere else.  

*Also, if they aren't confident they can extend Dupree, OLB is a strong possibility. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Updated team needs rankings:

1. LG (starter)

2. NT (starter)

3. ILB (depth)

4. Edge (depth)

5. TE/WR (depth)

I have a slightly different opinion right now:

1. NT  - - replace Hargraves with a run-stuffer like Andrew Billings or A'Shaun Robinson. 

2. FS/SS Depth - - Karl Dugger or Chin.  I lean towards Chinnas he may be drafted late 3rd or early 4th.

3. OG/ C Depth - - Signing Banner was good, moving Feiler (meh), losing BJ Finney hurts. Need Cush, Ruiz, or Badaicz. 

4. TE Depth - - pickings are slim. Moves down if the can resign Vannett (which I hope they do).

5. NT/DT Depth - - No faith in McCullers. Need an upgrade. A lot of DL's to pick from in the draft here.

6. ILB Depth - - They like Hybrid types, but I am honestly fine with Bush, Vince, Grant, and Spillane. 

8 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

You’re forgetting S depth...I’d rate it pretty high on a needs list.

Theyll bring in a vet FA to fill one of these spots...possibly 2.

I agree that it will be addressed. Still hoping that through some contract restructures and cuts perhaps they can keep Davis as depth. With the money being dished out, I am not certain that can happen. That is something that I would like to see. 

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'll nitpick a little....If Banner was signed to play RT and Feiler moves to LG those 2 positions are solid with OG needing only depth. That of course assumes Banner (or Chuks) are ready to be the full time RT.  I would then push ILB up to need #1B.  Again, assuming they are looking for a "Baron" type to "start".  It's getting interesting. 

I think that they expect Bush to take over the primary role at ILB in the Nickel and Dime. I think they will expect Vince to play in the base or when they have two ILB's. If they need help or rotation: U. Grant. We had this discussion before and I know your thoughts on this position.  I am more optimistic about the state of ILB.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

They moved Feiler to guard when they played the Rams to handle Donald.  He is supposedly the strongest OLineman.

Interesting. I did not know that tidbit thanks.  I have been a fan of Feiler's since he was signed. Tough, good work ethic and good in the locker room. He is a keeper and a gem in my opinion. Didn't know he was a strong man though. 

I would do it like this:

1a) IOL

1b) DT

IMHO, these could be the first 2 picks unless they address one via FA.  Too much value in the IOL in this draft.  I could easily see them taking 2.

2)OT - Villy is in the last year of his contract and 32.  Best think of a replacement now unless they think they have one with Chucks and Banner

3) safety depth

4) WR depth

4b) ILB depth

I would do it like this:

1a) IOL

1b) DT

IMHO, these could be the first 2 picks unless they address one via FA.  Too much value in the IOL in this draft.  I could easily see them taking 2.

2)OT - Villy is in the last year of his contract and 32.  Best think of a replacement now unless they think they have one with Chucks and Banner

3) safety depth

4) WR depth

4b) ILB depth

#2 TE?

I honestly think they resign Vannett but if they don’t?

And yes LT is sneaky...depends on how they see Chuks.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

17 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

@Steeler Hitman I don’t view DL “depth” as a top 5 need at all. If we can get a starting NT, Alualu and Buggs who I have a lot of faith in should be plenty of depth.

I know that they typically only keep six DL's.  Tuitt and Cam are DE's in the base and hopefully, Billings, Robinson or some other true NG are signed to fill that void.  That is three.  Buggs and Walton will battle for a spot and Tyson are set as the first man off the bench. Lastly, they have McCullers.  Man do they need an upgrade here.  I get your point because Cam, Tuitt or Tyson would slide in to play or rotate at DT in the Nickel or Dime. They have five guys that are solid if they can sign a vet at NG or DT, but they would still need to draft one as well.  They need to upgrade the run defense and keep blockers off the ILB.  That's just where my head is on this bigben07mvp.   

They will not spend a big pick on a Dt that plays less than 50% of the snaps

I agree 100%. I get that we all want to have a nice force like Hargrave starting again but our scheme does not require that. a reasonable replacement like some suggested and maybe a day 3 pick to compete with mccullers is what i could see taking place.

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

not sure how the comp system works, but right now it looks we'll have 3 picks. but does a pick go away if we sign another FA?

I think the watt signing cancels out one of the 3 comp picks. Id say 3rd for hargrave and 7th for davis as for now. Watt and matakevich cancel out.

• Like 1

Dante Fowler getting $16M per does not help our Bud Dupree long term status. I have been pro franchise tag for the year, but was open to a team friendly long term deal....but after that? Nope. 1 year only and say thanks for the comp pick if you kill it. 

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

I agree 100%. I get that we all want to have a nice force like Hargrave starting again but our scheme does not require that. a reasonable replacement like some suggested and maybe a day 3 pick to compete with mccullers is what i could see taking place.

Could Buggs slide inside at all? I like his game a lot. 

• Like 1