Offseason Work to do

mwalker

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

He suffered a season ending injury in 2017, as well. And blamed his mediocre play in 2018 on nagging injuries.

Season ending in Game 12 (4 games missed).  So yeah, probably took a while to get back to form. If you wanna argue he's overpaid due to injury history I can see that point.  Where I differ is when you say Hargrave is better for the Steelers because Tuitt gets hurt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

He suffered a season ending injury in 2017, as well. And blamed his mediocre play in 2018 on nagging injuries.

Okay...and he came out last year and was playing great until he got hurt.

Anything can change in football, year to year.  If Tuitt isnt good in 2020, it wouldn't shock me, but I also wouldnt be shocked if he was a major impact player.

Hargrave wasnt worth what he was paid IN OUR DEFENSE.  For the Eagles, he might be.   Its definitely a loss for us, but an expected one.

• Like 3

With the restructuring of Haden and Boswell the Steelers are now under the cap before the RFA tenders and any FA signings.

I think they’re gonna sign a depth FA to fill a hole in the defensive side of the ball at NT/ILB/S.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

With the restructuring of Haden and Boswell the Steelers are now under the cap before the RFA tenders and any FA signings.

I think they’re gonna sign a depth FA to fill a hole in the defensive side of the ball at NT/ILB/S.

As others have mentioned, Billings would be a good fit at NT.  ILB/S is tricky depending on what direction they wanna go.  I'm guessing they're happy with VW and Gilbert in the traditional ILB role but with the loss of Baron, they'll be searching for that type of player.  Killebrew fits the mold physically/athletically but has been unspectacular in Detroit.  But they doesn't use that hybrid role much.  He could provide depth (and perhaps more) in that role in the 'Burgh.  As far as pure Safety, Davis would provide nice depth (depending on the $). 

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/03/report-vance-mcdonald-to-restructure-salary-clear-cap-space/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

McDonald restructure.

Hopefully:

Next:
Cut Switzer
Restructure/extend Nelson & Heyward
Sign Bud to a 4 or 5 year deal to spread out cap hit
Extend Watt
Think about converting salary to SB for Tuitt & Ben

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Hargrave has more value than Tuitt who the team is stuck with because they restructured his contract.

I disagree with you here my friend.  The team stuck with Tuitt because of his play and potential. He is a better fit for the style of defense that the Steelers play than Hargraves, Period!  Hargraves went to a team that better suits his talents, skills, and abilities.  He is a better fit in the Eagles scheme that Tuitt would be in the Eagles scheme.  Tuitt has more value to the Steelers defense because his skills fit what the Steelers defense does better than Hargraves. It is not all about sacks. 

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Fun fact I did not know until right now: Tuitt is younger than Hargrave. 

*sorry forgot to add the fun-er fact: Tuitt had .5 less sacks than Hargrave last year playing 5.5 games. 

Tuitt has been on the brink of a breakout season and injuries have stopped him.  He fell in the draft due to an injury at ND.  This isn't about who we like better, but who gives the Steelers a better chance to be successful on defense and WIN!  I don't think anyone has anything against Hargraves.  Truth is, if there was $$$, I am sure the Steelers would have loved to keep him.  The player along the DL that I would like to see upgraded is actually Mt. McCullers.  I think he should have been a dominant run defender and he never has been.   

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

This would be in an alternate universe where Tuitt stays healthy, right?

You cannot predict injuries. It is a part of the game.  Some players are able to play through them better than others and depending upon your position and the type of injury, it can wipe your season out. Torn pecs are severe injuries and especially for DL's.  I believe a torn pec also derailed Mean Joe Greene and Aaron Smith a time or two as well. 

Because by his own admission he had a down year in 2018, and then missed over half of last season. Tore his pectoral in 2017.

I am sure that it did affect his play in 2018 after the injury.  I know how poor the run defense was in 2017 without Tuitt in there! ;)

So far Tuitt has been paid mostly for potential (he is not a top 10 interior DL).

Agreed that he has been paid on potential.  That is what they are paying most players for. Nothing new there my friend. I believe that Tuitt is a top ten 3-4 DL.  If you are comparing him and his stats to other interior DL's who play in another system, that is not an apple to apple comparison. 

Hargrave was misused by this team. Not because they play a 3-4, but because the coaching staff refused to use him as an interior pass rusher in their packages to the extent that they should have - particularly in his firsts two seasons. If not for Tuitt's injuries, they probably never would have given him significant snaps in that role.

I am sure that they were reluctant to put an undersized DT at NG in the base and have him playing a role that was better suited for a 6'6 310-pound guy with strength and quickness. To Hargrave's credit, he handled both roles pretty well. Again, no one has anything against Hargrave's he is just too expensive and is not an "ideal" fit for the defense.

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Another fun fact - in 2018, Hargrave had 6.5 sacks to Tuitt's 5.5 despite playing about 250 fewer snaps. And the main point remains that Tuitt hasn't been able to put together that level of play for an extended period of time, but he's paid like he has.

Again, I don't think anyone is trying to bash Hargraves. If the Steelers played a defense similar to the Eagles, they wouldn't have drafted Tuitt in the first place.  As dominant as Fletcher Cox has been, he would not fit ideally in the Steelers defensive scheme. The keyword is ideally.  Could Fletcher Cox have played in it like Hargrave, yes. Would he have been as successful and dominant, probably not. We hate to see a player that was drafted and exceeded expectations go to another team. He has been more consistent and rock-steady than Bud.  Steelers chose to keep Bud "based on potential."  It happens. Sometimes it is the right choice and others the wrong one. Only time will tell.  

• Like 1

Steelers chose to keep Bud because:

1. He played 90% of the defensive snaps in 2019.  More than Heyward.  more than Watt.
  2. OLBs are hard to find.

Now compare those with Hargraves who played 63% snaps while filling in for Tuitt.  He played 45% of the snaps the previous year.  And DTs are not hard to find.  Especially ones that only need to play less than 50% of the snaps.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Steelers chose to keep Bud because:

1. He played 90% of the defensive snaps in 2019.  More than Heyward.  more than Watt.
  2. OLBs are hard to find.

Now compare those with Hargraves who played 63% snaps while filling in for Tuitt.  He played 45% of the snaps the previous year.  And DTs are not hard to find.  Especially ones that only need to play less than 50% of the snaps.

This...plus you’re pidgeoned hold into going Edge in the 2nd...unless you want to still overpay for a declining player like Kerrigan.

• Like 1

Nelson has a $5.25 million base and a $3 million roster bonus due, they could lower his base to $910,000 and pay the rest to him as a signing bonus, that could create $3,670,000 in cap space.

Ben has an $8.5 million base and a $12.5 million roster bonus. They can take that roster bonus and pay it out to him as a signing bonus and free up $6.25 million, or they can even go crazy and reduce his base from $8.5 million down to $1.05 million and add that in to the signing bonus as well and the result could be $9,975,000 in cap space created.

$2,975,000 Haden restructure
$2,675,000 McDonald restructure
$976,667 Boswell restructure

$9,975,000 Ben

$3,670,000 Nelson

===================

$20,271,667

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1