Offseason Work to do

mwalker

8 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I think he is referring to the RFA tag. Still unlikely but much different scenario 

This is correct...one of the few spots where we have depth and will have to make decision on next year (Hilton UFA vs Sutton RFA).

Sutton played very well in limited time...plus we have Layne.

Jist thinking a lil outside the box in terms trying to get a lil cap room while adding another mid rd pick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Chick and Baron for sure. I'm on the fence with Foster. 

It’s either keep Foster or Finney or sign roughly comparable vet in FA...they won’t go into draft with such a huge hole unless they’re moving Feiler over to LG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

It’s either keep Foster or Finney or sign roughly comparable vet in FA...they won’t go into draft with such a huge hole unless they’re moving Feiler over to LG.

I think I might rather keep Finney if it’s between him and Foster.

I saw a report on twitter a few days ago that they like Barron and want to keep him. He did start playing a little better towards the end of last season but the first half of the season scarred me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I saw a report on twitter a few days ago that they like Barron and want to keep him. He did start playing a little better towards the end of last season but the first half of the season scarred me.

Agreed. If it's between those two, Foster is the "easy" cut.  I don't understand the team's love for Baron.  He is VERY upgradable.  I saw they've shown interest in Clemson Safety Tanner Muse.  He's in the Baron mold.  They seem committed to the SS/ILB Hybrid type.  Hopefully they can find a guy that plays that role a little better. 

• Like 1

Let the blood flow

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/status/1239332793332699136?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Andrew Fillipponi

@ThePoniExpress

Steelers cut Foster, Chickillio, Mark Barron it saves them $14.25 million. But gets them only $5 million under the salary cap. Need $15 million to sign Bud Dupree to franchise tag. That leaves them with less than 24 hours to cut and restructure deals. Lot of work to do.

13 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I like Finney at this point.  He is a better run blocker and adds versatility by being able to play C if needed.  Foster is a great teammate and locker room guy, but I think they don't miss a beat plugging Finney in for Foster. I would keep Feiler right where he is at RT.  He played very well there last year.

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agreed as I stated above!!!

I think many of us expected much more from Baron last year.  He did improve near the end, but was it enough to justify keeping him with the salary?

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Agreed. If it's between those two, Foster is the "easy" cut.  I don't understand the team's love for Baron.  He is VERY upgradable.  I saw they've shown interest in Clemson Safety Tanner Muse.  He's in the Baron mold.  They seem committed to the SS/ILB Hybrid type.  Hopefully they can find a guy that plays that role a little better. 

We have a Mark Baron type already on the roster in Edmonds.  He may actually be better suited for that role than playing in the back end.  The problem is safety depth and who would replace him there? This is one of the reasons that I felt the Steelers would go with a strong safety like Dugger or Chin to pair with Minkah.  I am also curious to see what happens with Sean Davis as well.

Agree to an extent.  I actually think Dugger would play "Baron's" role better then Edmunds.  But I also think he'd play better then Edmunds at SS.  Only "problem" is Dugger would have to be taken @ #49 (assuming he's there).  Chin could be had with the 3rd RD Comp or even one of the 4th's (I think) and he fits well into what they're trying to do.  Depending on when they're selected, I'd be happy with a few different Safeties in this class.  Chin, Muse, Floyd...could all help that position group a great deal.  They have a history of "reaching" at this position and it wouldn't surprise me if one of those guys is taken "early". 

Foster has been too good of a guy for Pittsburgh to do him dirty by holding onto him until later in FA...

If he wasnt the first name to get cut so he could get to FA early, he is staying put. Im not so sure I am excited about that. I think a lot of our offensive line woes were overblown (Pouncey and Villy), but his were not. Looked like he couldnt even get in his stance in week 17. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1