Best Snyder Era Players - HB

MKnight82

Best HB?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best HB in the Snyder Era?

• Trung Canidate
    • Clinton Portis
    • Ladell Betts
    • Alfred Morris
    • Chris Thompson
    • Other (specify)

Same as the QB thread. 

A few Rules:

- You are to only take into consideration that player's contributions to the Redskins.  For instance, Adrian Peterson has had a HOF career, but hasn't had that kind of impact for the Redskins.  

- The players must have been acquired after the Snyder era began.  So someone like Darrel Green does not qualify.  

- Let's stay away from current rookies as they haven't even finished a single season yet.  

*Stephen Davis was drafted in 1996 and didn't qualify.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Same as the QB thread. 

A few Rules:

- You are to only take into consideration that player's contributions to the Redskins.  For instance, Adrian Peterson has had a HOF career, but hasn't had that kind of impact for the Redskins.  

- The players must have been acquired after the Snyder era began.  So someone like Darrel Green does not qualify.  

- Let's stay away from current rookies as they haven't even finished a single season yet.  

*Stephen Davis was drafted in 1996 and didn't qualify.

While fair, it's better than anything Trung Candidate did. 

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Portis is the easy vote.

I would also put in here that I really enjoyed watching Ladell Betts run. When he got the call he delivered for us. I think he could have been a bell cow for someone that believed in him and put talent around him.

I’d take starting Betts, and retaining Bailey and our 2004 2nd round pick over just Portis every day. 

Edited by turtle28

I will say that Portis got shafted here in Washington with the offense he got put into.  He adapted very well to being a between-the-tackles runner, but this was a dude who averaged over 5.0 YPC in Denver running outside in the zone-blocking scheme.  Putting him in the Coryell offense and asking him to do what John Riggins used to do was a mistake, and probably took a few years off of his career.  Portis should've played well into his 30's like Darren Sproles had and still been effective in bursts and pass catching/blocking.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I am actually surprised there wasn't a vote for Morris. I voted Portis, but I figured someone would have an opinion on it.

I don’t think it’s that close. Portis was the best all around back, arguably in team history. He was a great rusher, great pass blocker and good receiver too. 

I love Morris - everyone did - but he benefited from the read option scheme when RG3 was in that in 2012 & 13. And, he wasn’t a 3rd down back - that was Helu & then Thompson - bc he wasn’t a great pass blocker or a great receiver out of the backfield.

Again, I love Morris, he should have spent his entire career in DC but sometimes if a GM drafts someone else they want to just give the other guy the job if they haven’t earned it. Unlike that former RB, Morris earned everything he got and we would have been better off in 2016 and 2017 if Morris was still on our team.