Is Ryan Anderson the Most Improved Player?

turtle28

Just now, Woz said:

If he can earn his roster spot this off-season, I would keep him if only to finish out his rookie deal and maybe get a compensatory pick out of him.

At the same time, I expect him to get outplayed by a rookie and lose his spot. I think the stats you point to are aberrations and he will revert back to what he was.

As such, I certainly would not spend anything a 3y/$10m contract on him as the 4th option. His AAV of his next contract should not be above $1m at this point.

I don't know why we are having such passionate arguments about a guy who is going to be relegated to special teams again. But you and turtle keep wanting to pound the table for this guy for some reason.

The only Rookie that will outplay him is Young. Cool don't pay him and stay looking for another guy to replace his stats if Sweat or Chase were to go down with injuries. If 10 million is too much than restructure the deal and see if he accepts.  

6 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

The only Rookie that will outplay him is Young. Cool don't pay him and stay looking for another guy to replace his stats if Sweat or Chase were to go down with injuries. If 10 million is too much than restructure the deal and see if he accepts.  

I’d definitely being back Casanova McKinzy and Nate Orchard to have them battle Ryan Anderson next year for a reserve spot. I like what those guys flashed this season.

Also, Ryan Anderson is under contract for next season. There’s really no reason to talk contract extension about him but, I do agree that paying him $3 million isn’t too much considering what he offers.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d definitely being back Casanova McKinzy and Nate Orchard to have them battle Ryan Anderson next year for a reserve spot. I like what those guys flashed this season.

Also, Ryan Anderson is under contract for next season. There’s really no reason to talk contract extension about him but, I do agree that paying him $3 million isn’t too much considering what he offers.

Yes you bring those guys back McKinzy and Orchard but just like he beat them this season. I see Anderson doing the samething next season as well. I don't mind competition, but if he beats them you can't be mad at him.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We differ strongly on this. I said since Anderson was drafted that he was a guy who would fit on the left side as Kerrigan’s back up. Strong run defender and a guy who was very cerebral that made good football plays that didn’t always show up on the stat sheet. Anderson actually outlasted the guy that Scot McCloughan said we should have drafted instead of him - Tim Williams - who was cut this year by the Ravens.

So, you think it was a good idea to spend a second round pick to be a backup of a guy who until this year had never missed a game? To draft a guy whose rookie contract would completely overlap the guy who he was supposed to backup (in the hopes of replacing Kerrigan?)?

Why could he not get on the field at all prior to this beyond special teams? He couldn't work anywhere except as the LOLB?

Also, what does McCloughan matter in this conversation? The fact that he was wrong about Tim Williams means ... what exactly for Anderson?

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kerrigan didn’t miss a game until this season, so where were all these opportunities?

Where indeed. The team thought so little of his abilities that they sat him instead of using him.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

And $3 million a year for a core special teams player and reserve DE/OLB is not a lot of $.

Number of players who received $3m or more this year (admittedly these are cap numbers instead of raw salary, but it is close enough):

Josh Norman, Morgan Moses, Chris Thompson, Landon Collins, Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Da'Ron Payne, Dustin Hopkins, Ereck Flowers, Jonathan Allen, Ryan Kerrigan, Brandon Scherff, Jordan Reed, Paul Richardson, Vernon Davis, and Quinton Dunbar.

No one on that list is a "core special team" kind of player. Backups (outside of QBs) don't get $3m AAV.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, you think it was a good idea to spend a second round pick to be a backup of a guy who until this year had never missed a game? To draft a guy whose rookie contract would completely overlap the guy who he was supposed to backup (in the hopes of replacing Kerrigan?)?

Why could he not get on the field at all prior to this beyond special teams? He couldn't work anywhere except as the LOLB?

Also, what does McCloughan matter in this conversation? The fact that he was wrong about Tim Williams means ... what exactly for Anderson?

Where indeed. The team thought so little of his abilities that they sat him instead of using him.

Number of players who received $3m or more this year (admittedly these are cap numbers instead of raw salary, but it is close enough):

Josh Norman, Morgan Moses, Chris Thompson, Landon Collins, Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Da'Ron Payne, Dustin Hopkins, Ereck Flowers, Jonathan Allen, Ryan Kerrigan, Brandon Scherff, Jordan Reed, Paul Richardson, Vernon Davis, and Quinton Dunbar.

No one on that list is a "core special team" kind of player. Backups (outside of QBs) don't get $3m AAV.

Your stuck on something none of US can change. The Fact Anderson is a 2nd round BUST, Yet is not a BUM player. Can you at least agree to that? 

12 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I don't recall who it was, but I vaguely recall Anderson almost losing his spot to a UDFA this year. So to think it is so beyond the pale that you pay him triple what a backup like should get is baffling to me.

If they lose both of their defensive first round picks in back to back drafts, I would expect the defense to suffer regardless of who was behind them.

You seem to believe that Anderson will replicate his stats that he got in the last half of the season. I don't because A) I don't think he's all that good and B) he got a fair amount of them against meh teams.

Also why would you offer such a big contract if you plan to redo it a year later? That only leads you into cap problems. Not big ones admittedly but going down that path is bad.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

McKinzy! That was who almost beat him put this past off-season. Thanks turtle.

Just now, Woz said:

I don't recall who it was, but I vaguely recall Anderson almost losing his spot to a UDFA this year. So to think it is so beyond the pale that you pay him triple what a backup like should get is baffling to me.

If they lose both of their defensive first round picks in back to back drafts, I would expect the defense to suffer regardless of who was behind them.

You seem to believe that Anderson will replicate his stats that he got in the last half of the season. I don't because A) I don't think he's all that good and B) he got a fair amount of them against meh teams.

Also why would you offer such a big contract if you plan to redo it a year later? That only leads you into cap problems. Not big ones admittedly but going down that path is bad.

Almost beat, yet didn't beat. Question this player did he even make another teams roster? I said if the money was too much restructure the deal. You still have no replacement available for those stats Anderson gave you. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Your stuck on something none of US can change. The Fact Anderson is a 2nd round BUST, Yet is not a BUM player. Can you at least agree to that? 

Okay, but can we further agree that he is not some major gem and is just a backup? And that furthermore, backup OLB/DEs don't get $3m+ AAV contracts?

@Woz Yes, I think it was a good idea to have depth behind Kerrigan. I didn’t have a problem with the selection.

Anderson was drafted to a team that had two good starters infront of him. He’s an OLB - the Redskins has Kerrigan and Preston Smith - where did you want him to play? Corner?

You have never made logical sense in this discussion at all for 3 years. 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Almost beat, yet didn't beat. Question this player did he even make another teams roster? I said if the money was too much restructure the deal. You still have no replacement available for those stats Anderson gave you. 

If you really want a "name," then put <league average replacement player> in his place. He's a back up.

Just now, turtle28 said:

@Woz Yes, I think it was a good idea to have depth behind Kerrigan. I didn’t have a problem with the selection.

Anderson was drafted to a team that had two good starters infront of him. He’s an OLB - the Redskins has Kerrigan and Preston Smith - where did you want him to play? Corner?

You have never made logical sense in this discussion at all for 3 years. 

Because you don't draft a backup for your stud player at his position who has never missed a game (until this year) in the second round!

How is this so hard to understand? If the idea was to groom Anderson as Kerrigan's backup, then you don't have it so their contracts completely overlap. You try to find other places to use him. They didn't or couldn't. They tried him at ROLB; he failed at that.