Playoffs?

Pastor Dillon

Lots of interesting playoff notes to talk about. 

here’s one: if we lose Saturday, highly likely as the bucs are a terrible match up for us, we can still clinch the division if the titans lose to the saints, another highly likely event. 

assuming the cheifs don’t lose to the bears, we would have nothing to play for in week 17. Should we win Saturday, the 3 seed would still be in play next week and we probably play our starters. 

another interesting tidbit. Should the titans lose next week, the night still be alive for the wild card. The problem is they would need the ravens to win a meaningless game against the Steelers. 

Basically the Saints can get us into the playoffs this Sunday, which is ironic considering their last second win week 1 is what’s keeping us out currently. So they owe us one. 

Also it’s possible we play the patriots in the wild card round. I’m not a rules expert but I think if Buffalo beats the patriots next week and they both win week 17, they tie, tie in the division and then the bills have a better conference record. That would put us against the pats in the 4/5 match up. I’d rather play the bills. 

• Like 2

Personally, I think Wild Card round is going to be extremely challenging either way, which sucks for us. 

If we play Buffalo: Josh Allen is a HUGE mismatch for us defensively. Having him on the field almost guarantees that one of our linebackers can get picked on. If Cunningham or McKinney are used as a spy, that frees up either Knox or Singletary in the passing game. If they're used to blitz, then we get the typical issues that come with blitzing. If they're both kept in coverage, then Allen gets a lot more freedom with his legs, which j hate the idea of. Brian Dabol has done an excellent job of exploiting this physical mismatch this season, leading to big receiving games for Beasley in the slot, Brown in the slot, Singletary out of the backfield, or Knox down the seam depending upon how teams play them in coverage/spying. Otherwise, Allen kills you with lots of rushing first downs. I also hate how our offense matches up with their defense. Fuller could have a productive game, as the Bills still haven't figured out a consistent perimeter corner across from TreDavious White, but teams rarely get over the top against Hyde/Poyer, one of the best safety tandems in the league. Buffalo also has an extremely talented set of LBs in Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, and Lorenzo Alexander. Levi Wallace is an above average slot corner, but he's inconsistent with how he plays the ball. We MIGHT be able to pick on him if he plays overaggressive again.

If we play the Pats: we get BB/Tom Brady in a rematch, which is NEVER something to look forward to.

• Like 1

Regardless of whether we play the Bills or Pats, with how our team matches up, we can't just talent ourselves to victory like we have in most of our victories this season. BOB will have to outcoach BB or McDermott/Dabol, so if we win against either of them, I won't mind if he stays another season as HC.

here's an interesting side note. Jamies Winston comes to town this week as the leading passer in the NFL. Fun fact, he needs 904 yards over the next 2 games in order to break the all time passing record. that might seem far fetched but he threw for 458 yesterday and 458 against the Colts the week before, and we all know how bad we are at pass defense. If we were to light us up for 450-500 yards....he would have a chance to break the mark against the Falcons in week 17. They really don't have anything else to play for. 

meanwhile, Winston would also cross 20,000 passing yards at just 25 years old. 

• Like 1

Update:

We have the 4 seed clinched, but we still have a realistic path to the 3 seed. That is the preferable route, as it gives us the Steelers and Patriots as opposed to the bills and ravens in route to the AFC championship game. 

Basically we need a win vs the titans and a Chiefs loss to either the Bears or Chargers....so unlikely but definitely still possible. 

The Patriots win knocked us out of contention for a bye week. 

I am not afraid of the Bills or Steelers. 

Now having said that, BOB can coach us to a loss on any given day, but we do have 10 wins on the season, so we are capable of beating teams when we focus. We have beaten the Cheifs and Patriots and played the Saints to within a single bad play call of beating them.

Our other 4 loses have been 3 non playoff teams and a trashing by the ravens, which I dont honestly believe they are 5 TDs better than us. We got screwed early in that game and never recovered. IN the first half of that game we had the PI that was clear that was not overturned in replay and we missed a FG, otherwise a 14-0 halftime score is much better for us. So the Ravens are clearly better than us, but I think we can play with them and maybe get lucky in an AFC championship game. 

ODDS of a Super Bowl run are really long, especially with our coaching staff, but if we can get healthy, we could make some noise. 

I also think we (including myself a lot) really overreact to everything because of how much we all hate our coach. He does suck, badly, but we have proven we can get some wins despite that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I also think we (including myself a lot) really overreact to everything because of how much we all hate our coach. He does suck, badly, but we have proven we can get some wins despite that. 

Very well said, sir. I would give you more footballs if I could.