::Philadelphia Flyers Thread:: Carter Hart <3

Hockey5djh

20 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Eh, regardless of what media spins get thrown out there I think in general I already appreciate everything he did over his tenure here. We went from a floundering team with no prospects in cap help to a team with 10+ mil and one of the best farm systems around. Recent struggles aside I think he did a phenomenal job and we're in a much better spot now than we were when he took over.

The only real thing I never agreed with was Lappy/Hak.  We're in such a good spot right now, I'm just nervous that with a new GM we're going to start throwing around these assets like candy, especially with the pressure from upper management.  Hopefully Homer was sincere in saying they need an approach somewhere in between him and Hexy.

Just now, flyers0909 said:

The only real thing I never agreed with was Lappy/Hak.  We're in such a good spot right now, I'm just nervous that with a new GM we're going to start throwing around these assets like candy, especially with the pressure from upper management.  Hopefully Homer was sincere in saying they need an approach somewhere in between him and Hexy.

I agree. Fletcher seems like that middle man IMO. I think if the flyers want to do something big this season they need to move on from Simmonds since he was mostly replaced on the PP with JvR and Patrick playing the same role and he has an expiring contract. He could bring either very good picks or a solid piece in return.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Hakstol has to go, what an absolute joke of a game.  Sanheim got benched in the 3rd while MacDonald ended up with 22 minutes.  Second straight game of Giroux not seeing the ice in OT either, completely indefensible.  

I hate to say it but I'm 90% sure that they're gonna let him ride this season out while Fletcher gets his legs under him. I think he'll be let go and we'll be in the Quenneville sweepstakes in the offseason where most of his adjustments to the roster will also be made. 

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

So...Hakstol fired, replaced by Quenneville, both sides backtrack last night.

As of about 15 minutes ago Hakstol was officially fired and Kris Knoblaugh has the interim tag. I guess we can assume that Q will be the next shoe to drop.

Gordon is the interim coach and Fletcher just said his expectation is that he'll be the coach for the rest of the season.  Fletch also said he hasn't been in contact with Q at all.  

Assuming Q fell through and is waiting for the offseason (or doesn't want to come here), I'm fine with Gordon as interim for the year.  I don't think he's particularly a good coach but he's a professional who's been around a long time and will handle the locker room.  I don't see him running this team into the ground.  Get Hak out of town, let Fletcher make roster changes and evaluate the staff while Gordon just keeps the ship steady and Fletcher can pick his guy in the offseason.  

7 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Gordon is the interim coach and Fletcher just said his expectation is that he'll be the coach for the rest of the season.  Fletch also said he hasn't been in contact with Q at all.  

Assuming Q fell through and is waiting for the offseason (or doesn't want to come here), I'm fine with Gordon as interim for the year.  I don't think he's particularly a good coach but he's a professional who's been around a long time and will handle the locker room.  I don't see him running this team into the ground.  Get Hak out of town, let Fletcher make roster changes and evaluate the staff while Gordon just keeps the ship steady and Fletcher can pick his guy in the offseason.  

Knoblauch was running practice today, thus the early report. Gordon is a placeholder candidate that will be replaced in the offseason if not sooner.

If Q did really fall through I'm disappointed Knoblauch didn't get his shot, if only with the interim tag. He was a hot coaching candidate that we scooped up a year and a half ago, why not give they guy who has a history of winning championships a shot instead of a guy with mostly losing records and first round playoff exits in his background that has had a couple good seasons for the Phantoms.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Knoblauch was running practice today, thus the early report. Gordon is a placeholder candidate that will be replaced in the offseason if not sooner.

If Q did really fall through I'm disappointed Knoblauch didn't get his shot, if only with the interim tag. He was a hot coaching candidate that we scooped up a year and a half ago, why not give they guy who has a history of winning championships a shot instead of a guy with mostly losing records and first round playoff exits in his background that has had a couple good seasons for the Phantoms.

It will be interesting to see how the PP runs with Hak gone, to see how much influence he actually had on it, but if the PP is any indication of Knob's coaching ability it's a bit concerning.  I'm hoping he wasn't just riding the studs he had at Erie and actually is a good coach. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

It will be interesting to see how the PP runs with Hak gone, to see how much influence he actually had on it, but if the PP is any indication of Knob's coaching ability it's a bit concerning.  I'm hoping he wasn't just riding the studs he had at Erie and actually is a good coach. 

yea, that has been a recent concern. That said getting rid of Hexy "helped" the PK, lets see if getting rid of Hak helps the PP.