Ravens extend CB Marcus Peters (3 years, $42M, $32M GTD)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

So, at the time of signing, no deal is a good deal? Because it might not pan out? That doesn’t make much sense. It’s almost akin to...Peters’ deal is problematic because he might get injured.

Also, Peters is the most recently paid guy and is only making 7th in AAV for a corner. Not top tier and definitely not like Watkins.

That's not what I said. The question was how could this deal be a problem as if there was no risk. Peters has a track record of early as this year as not living up to expectations. It's not a leap of logic to say that he's going to be overpaid. Being tied to a top 10 paid corner for even 2 years is a problem from a team building perspective if the corner isn't playing well. Certainly could be overcome but it's far from ideal. I brought up Watkins because if the Chiefs allocated his salary to the defense last year then you are maybe looking at a Super Bowl team. Easy to say in hindsight.

Watkins was the 4th highest paid WR at signing. Peters is tied for 6th highest corner. Watkins also hit the open market which drives up price. I'd agree that Peters deserved more. 

Although I do sort of agree with the sentiment no deal is necessarily good or bad before the player plays. Same logic for why draft grades are meaningless. You are certainly going after value but it's impossible to know that. Robert Woods was a consensus overpay by many (including me). He's now one of the biggest bargains in the NFL for players on a 2nd contract.

Edited by LeotheLion

6 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

It cannot be said for every contract. This is a lot of money for 1 player. I said the same thing when the Rams signed Fowler last year. It was just 1 year but I hated the price. To his credit he played better than I thought he would but you have to look at the opportunity cost of spending big on Peters. And it isn't like it would be any bit surprising for a guy like Peters to regress next year.

I will say on a side note I have no idea how the math works on the numbers that tweet has. How is $32M guaranteed if he can be cut after 1 year of $15M with only $4M in dead money? It seems like I either don't understand the contract or the guaranteed piece is off.

Edit: I read elsewhere that the 2nd base year becomes guaranteed after the 5th day of the league year 2020. So if that is right its a 2 year guarantee and the table will change in March. 

yea, pretty easy to agree with @AFlaccoSeagulls on this one. If he plays bad, its a bad contract... i mean, really? that is the bordering on lt is overrated because he may get injured level analysis. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I wouldn't have done the deal. It's a 2 year guaranteed based on my research. Unless the guarantees are stated incorrectly. 

Well it's a good thing that you don't make the decisions for the Ravens.. I think I will put my faith in who should be executive of the year this year.. 

@LeotheLion

another thing to add is that Lamar Jackson is on his rookie contract so the Ravens actually are in a very good spot to take a calculated risk and pay this guy.

Even when i much like any other Ravens fan am of the opinion that this contract basically is a steal if Peters play doesn't regress suddenly.

And to say they could have used the cap elsewhere to better the team is borderline trolling. Ravens earned the best record this season so the signing of Peters deffo did contribute wouldn't you agree.

41 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yea, pretty easy to agree with @AFlaccoSeagulls on this one. If he plays bad, its a bad contract... i mean, really? that is the bordering on lt is overrated because he may get injured level analysis. 

As shocking as it is you can read a thread full of people disagreeing with that notion. The question was how could it be bad for the Ravens. I explained it. It shouldn't be a tough concept. 

Edited by LeotheLion

23 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Well it's a good thing that you don't make the decisions for the Ravens.. I think I will put my faith in who should be executive of the year this year.. 

I mean I'm just a guy on a message board so yeah I suppose... I'm also the only guy to point out its not a 1 year out... 

12 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

@LeotheLion

another thing to add is that Lamar Jackson is on his rookie contract so the Ravens actually are in a very good spot to take a calculated risk and pay this guy.

Even when i much like any other Ravens fan am of the opinion that this contract basically is a steal if Peters play doesn't regress suddenly.

And to say they could have used the cap elsewhere to better the team is borderline trolling. Ravens earned the best record this season so the signing of Peters deffo did contribute wouldn't you agree.

I'm just saying the same line of thinking was used on the Chiefs with Mahomes. The Watkins contract has an opt when he gets his extension. And if they paid a defensive player(s) the money then they could have won the SB. 

One bad contract to any non QB won't cripple a team but you asked how can this be a problem. That's a lot of money to give someone for 2 years that has been inconsistent in the last couple seasons. 

It's not borderline trolling. The Rams did the same thing. Now we are stuck with Cooks and many fans want out of that contract. When you whiff on top level contacts it hurts your margin of error. 

Edited by LeotheLion

4 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

That's not what I said. The question was how could this deal be a problem as if there was no risk. Peters has a track record of early as this year as not living up to expectations. It's not a leap of logic to say that he's going to be overpaid. Being tied to a top 10 paid corner for even 2 years is a problem from a team building perspective if the corner isn't playing well. Certainly could be overcome but it's far from ideal. I brought up Watkins because if the Chiefs allocated his salary to the defense last year then you are maybe looking at a Super Bowl team. Easy to say in hindsight.

Watkins was the 4th highest paid WR at signing. Peters is tied for 6th highest corner. Watkins also hit the open market which drives up price. I'd agree that Peters deserved more. 

Although I do sort of agree with the sentiment no deal is necessarily good or bad before the player plays. Same logic for why draft grades are meaningless. You are certainly going after value but it's impossible to know that. Robert Woods was a consensus overpay by many (including me). He's now one of the biggest bargains in the NFL for players on a 2nd contract.

I mean - yes and no. If you gave Antonio Brown a 5-year deal that’s fully guaranteed then that’s a bad signing. If you signed him to a 5-year, vet-min deal with no guaranteed dollars - it’s at least a safe deal. You can judge deals when they’re signed, just won’t know how they turn out. 

I think allocating dollars to a guy who’s playing like a top corner for two seasons isn’t a bad thing. Given the knowledge we have, it’s a good deal for a Baltimore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean - yes and no. If you gave Antonio Brown a 5-year deal that’s fully guaranteed then that’s a bad signing. If you signed him to a 5-year, vet-min deal with no guaranteed dollars - it’s at least a safe deal. You can judge deals when they’re signed, just won’t know how they turn out. 

I think allocating dollars to a guy who’s playing like a top corner for two seasons isn’t a bad thing. Given the knowledge we have, it’s a good deal for a Baltimore.

Fair enough. Respect that opinion. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

As shocking as it is you can read a thread full of people disagreeing with that notion. The question was how could it be bad for the Ravens. I explained it. It shouldn't be a tough concept. 

so sensitive. And your explanation could be used for literally any player in the nfl, which was its a bad deal if he plays bad. which isnt even a good thought anyway.

Edited by GSUeagles14
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

so sensitive. And your explanation could be used for literally any player in the nfl, which was its a bad deal if he plays bad. which isnt even a good thought anyway.

I agree. I said that. You'd also agree that it has more merit to say that for a player that hasn't been great for the last couple seasons, no? 

I've discussed this topic with people that want to discuss it. I'll be snarky to people that don't. 

Edited by LeotheLion