Ravens extend CB Marcus Peters (3 years, $42M, $32M GTD)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

The Ravens have superior talent in their secondary around Peters, especially at safety with Earl Thomas. And you're moving the goal-posts. You were referencing picks.

And they have inferior talent up front. Here are just picks: 

Kansas City: 19 picks, 45 games (.42/game), 3010 snaps (.0063/snap). 

Los Angeles: 7 picks, 21 games (0.33/game), 1326 snaps (.0052/snap). 

Baltimore: 3 picks, 9 games (0.33/game), 530 snaps (.0056/snap). 

You don’t think coaching is a large factor in a player doing something well both before arriving and after leaving a a team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

He's no Eric Berry or Earl Thomas (who are generational talents).  And that's only one safety position.  Lamarcus Joyner was never a deep safety.  Eric Weddle is washed.  And Marquis Christian is JAG.  In order for a freelancer to have optimal opportunity to not be victimized by his chances taken to be opportunistic he needs savvy and talented insurance over the top.  It's kind of notably that the year in KC when Peters' production dipped coincided with the year when the refrain you constantly heard from Chiefs fans was that they needed a better deep safety - and Berry also happened to be on IR, but the rest of the safety talent around him was meh as hell - as were the CB's with Gaines on IR, and Terrance Mitchell and Steven Nelson swapping the spot back and forth in his place.

It would've been pretty rare for Berry to be over the top of Peters. We ran mostly single high, whether it was man underneath or cover 3 with the corners in deep zones as well. But regardless, Ron Parker was our FS and our deep coverage guy. Berry was either blitzing, in man on TEs if they had a threat worth his coverage, or in shallower zones.

I don't know why Peters struggled in LA. I'll be honest. But every excuse I've seen from LAR fans here mischaracterized what he had or did in KC. I've seen it said he couldn't play man. Well, that's almost all Sutton's defense ever ran. I've seen it said he couldn't man up against #1s, when that was his primary role in KC. I've seen it said he needed safety help, but we played a lot of single high and Parker was rarely focused on helping Peters. Then it's that it's his CB help, but most years his opposite number sucked. We did have a pass rush. But otherwise Peters was mostly just good in coverage for us. Did well in man and zone. Press and off. Though off man capitalized on his skillset the best. But many of the things he struggled at in LA he was just fine at in KC. We cut him because he stopped trying to tackle in 2017, his attitude was garbage, and we knew we weren't going to pay him big money anyway. Him getting burned in LA is really unrelated to his time in KC. His coverage skills had nothing to do with us moving on from him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

And they have inferior talent up front. Here are just picks: 

Kansas City: 19 picks, 45 games (.42/game), 3010 snaps (.0063/snap). 

Los Angeles: 7 picks, 21 games (0.33/game), 1326 snaps (.0052/snap). 

Baltimore: 3 picks, 9 games (0.33/game), 530 snaps (.0056/snap). 

You don’t think coaching is a large factor in a player doing something well both before arriving and after leaving a a team?

We're talking about a negligible difference. And Peters actually played through an injury during much of 2018.

22 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It would've been pretty rare for Berry to be over the top of Peters. We ran mostly single high, whether it was man underneath or cover 3 with the corners in deep zones as well. But regardless, Ron Parker was our FS and our deep coverage guy. Berry was either blitzing, in man on TEs if they had a threat worth his coverage, or in shallower zones.

I don't know why Peters struggled in LA. I'll be honest. But every excuse I've seen from LAR fans here mischaracterized what he had or did in KC. I've seen it said he couldn't play man. Well, that's almost all Sutton's defense ever ran. I've seen it said he couldn't man up against #1s, when that was his primary role in KC. I've seen it said he needed safety help, but we played a lot of single high and Parker was rarely focused on helping Peters. Then it's that it's his CB help, but most years his opposite number sucked. We did have a pass rush. But otherwise Peters was mostly just good in coverage for us. Did well in man and zone. Press and off. Though off man capitalized on his skillset the best. But many of the things he struggled at in LA he was just fine at in KC. We cut him because he stopped trying to tackle in 2017, his attitude was garbage, and we knew we weren't going to pay him big money anyway. Him getting burned in LA is really unrelated to his time in KC. His coverage skills had nothing to do with us moving on from him.

Well, then you'll have to ask Peters why he couldn't handle his man coverage responsibilities here.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Well, then you'll have to ask Peters why he couldn't handle his man coverage responsibilities here.

Yeah, don't really care since he's handling them here lol.

Sometimes good players don't work out in certain situations. Doesn't mean you have to try and tear that player down when they're playing well for another team. It's not a personal affront to your team or front office or whatever - but you seem to be taking it that way 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah, don't really care since he's handling them here lol.

Sometimes good players don't work out in certain situations. Doesn't mean you have to try and tear that player down when they're playing well for another team. It's not a personal affront to your team or front office or whatever - but you seem to be taking it that way 🤷🏻‍♂️

I responded to Jak talking about Peters with the Rams. Had nothing to do with the Ravens. To the extent I had/have anything to say about Peters with the Ravens, it's that I don't trust him to keep his effort level up in the coming years.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I responded to Jak talking about Peters with the Rams. Had nothing to do with the Ravens. To the extent I had/have anything to say about Peters with the Ravens, it's that I don't trust him to keep his effort level up in the coming years.

I mean, you saying "KC fans told us about this guy. You guys will see too" in this thread, followed by a half dozen responses of you trying to point out Marcuses (apparently not even existent?) deficiencies in KC in an effort to rationalize your take about this signing is pretty cut and dry in regards to what it has to do with Marcus and the Ravens, but do you lol

10 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean, you saying "KC fans told us about this guy. You guys will see too" in this thread, followed by a half dozen responses of you trying to point out Marcuses (apparently not even existent?) deficiencies in KC in an effort to rationalize your take about this signing is pretty cut and dry in regards to what it has to do with Marcus and the Ravens, but do you lol

I will. You'll understand soon enough.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It's a huge mystery.  I have no clue, either.  Peters sucked with the Rams so much, but he was good for the Chiefs and Ravens. 

On 12/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, wackywabbit said:

He'll get a bigger offer somewhere else I assume. He can still play, but is still unreliable from a health perspective. 

Yeah, this move confirmed Jimmy will be gone. Humphrey and Peters is already way better than league average, no need to pay a 4th with Tavon Young too

43 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah, this move confirmed Jimmy will be gone. Humphrey and Peters is already way better than league average, no need to pay a 4th with Tavon Young too

We've always known this will be Jimmy's last season, along with Brandon Carr most likely.

10 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Raven fans are going to hate him next year. Once he reveals his true identity. 

So be it, then.