Ravens extend CB Marcus Peters (3 years, $42M, $32M GTD)

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

He's always been a good player, except for his stint with the Rams.

No, he hasn't.  He's been a hit and miss player.  He's a CB version of Ed Reed, except that he gives up almost as many big plays as he gets.  And his personality rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  It's why I was glad when the Vikings passed on him and took Waynes instead.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't know why Peters struggled in LA. I'll be honest. But every excuse I've seen from LAR fans here mischaracterized what he had or did in KC. I've seen it said he couldn't play man. Well, that's almost all Sutton's defense ever ran. I've seen it said he couldn't man up against #1s, when that was his primary role in KC. I've seen it said he needed safety help, but we played a lot of single high and Parker was rarely focused on helping Peters. Then it's that it's his CB help, but most years his opposite number sucked. We did have a pass rush. But otherwise Peters was mostly just good in coverage for us. Did well in man and zone. Press and off. Though off man capitalized on his skillset the best. But many of the things he struggled at in LA he was just fine at in KC. We cut him because he stopped trying to tackle in 2017, his attitude was garbage, and we knew we weren't going to pay him big money anyway. Him getting burned in LA is really unrelated to his time in KC. His coverage skills had nothing to do with us moving on from him.

This is from a Chiefs fan that watches every game.

@ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Dude Idk. If we left him in man he’ll get burned and it wouldn’t be closed. He single handedly lost the rams games. He would get burned more than a Comedy Central roast. 

Man, that's why I said.... He was awful with the Rams.  He was nowhere near like this with other teams he has played for.  There's a hardcore Chiefs fan that's telling you how Peters played there for YEARS.

I know what you mean, though.  I saw him more when he was with the Rams and he was God awful.

13 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Dude Idk. If we left him in man he’ll get burned and it wouldn’t be closed. He single handedly lost the rams games. He would get burned more than a Comedy Central roast. 

He was better with KC than with the Rams, but he still would often get burned in KC, despite getting a lot of picks.  While not a fair representation, his rookie year, he was the most targeted CB in the entire NFL...and he did get 9 picks (including the playoffs)...but he also gave up 8 TDs.   It just depends up whether a team is willing to take the bad with the good, because he offers a lot of both.  I know Zimmer certainly wouldn't have.

Edited by swede700

10 minutes ago, showtime said:

Man, that's why I said.... He was awful with the Rams.  He was nowhere near like this with other teams he has played for.  There's a hardcore Chiefs fan that's telling you how Peters played there for YEARS.

I know what you mean, though.  I saw him more when he was with the Rams and he was God awful.

David Moore would beat him like a step child. 

I’m not sure it was scheme or pressure. But when Talib was healthy Peters would play way better. Without Talib he was a open toll road. Idc what the Chief fan said! Because he never thrived in La playing man, we had to play a bubble zone just to help him out. 

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

No because even Chief fans warned us about him. He made plays but he gave up so many. He’s up there Nick Foles as one of the most useless rams FA ever. 

Feel free to read through the thread where the trade was announced. You'll see Chiefs fans upset about the trade (before and after compensation being revealed) and saying how he'll be great for the Rams. Couple mentions of the tackling, but that's it.

This narrative of he was limited for the Chiefs and Chiefs fans warned Rams fans is dumb.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Feel free to read through the thread where the trade was announced. You'll see Chiefs fans upset about the trade (before and after compensation being revealed) and saying how he'll be great for the Rams. Couple mentions of the tackling, but that's it.

This narrative of he was limited for the Chiefs and Chiefs fans warned Rams fans is dumb.

It was said in other threads. I simply don’t care. I’ve said it. He’s a great human but with the rams he was just pure human trash as a player. 

3 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

No because even Chief fans warned us about him. He made plays but he gave up so many. He’s up there Nick Foles as one of the most useless rams FA ever. 

I still think it's a good trade for the Ravens and a decent contract, but yeah, Peters has his serious issues that probably just haven't come to light yet with the Ravens. I've seen the dude get a game winning INT that put the Chiefs in field goal range late in the 4th but then walk the ball to the sidelines and punt it into the stands. Fortunately the refs didn't even see it but thats a 15 yard penalty that would have taken us out of FG range and could have cost us the game. It was nuts. I think the guy is just a lockerroom cancer who starts to become a problem for the coaches trying to do things their way and coach other guys. We drafted one a CB who was one of Peters friends in the 3rd round one year and cut that dude before the season even started.

I'm sure Ravens are enjoying the honeymoon period, but understand Peters has his games where he gives up a handful of big plays. Mahomes absolutely cooked Peters when we faced the Rams last time. Him covering Sammy Watkins doesn't make the Ravens more scary in the KC matchup at all to me.

Edited by Kirill

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

His tackling definitely leaves some to be desired. I've seen plays that remind me of the infamous Antonio Cromartie gif from 2008 or whatever it was. 

From a coverage standpoint, personally standpoint and general attitude and character standpoint - I couldn't be more happy with him.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Ok fairweather fan, got it. 

cant help but laugh at this

"I support the team not matter where they play"

"Ok fairweather fan"

????

I think the timing of this is super odd tbh. I don't think there was a reason to give him this contract right now. I guess they didn't want him to make any business decisions in the playoffs with a game on the line? 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

"Ok fairweather fan"

????

I think the timing of this is super odd tbh. I don't think there was a reason to give him this contract right now. I guess they didn't want him to make any business decisions in the playoffs with a game on the line? 

A fairweather fan travels regardless, the same applies if a team moves.

It's the end of the season, why not pay him? Better now than Febuary when we won't choose to franchise him.

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:
8 hours ago, N4L said:

"Ok fairweather fan"

????

A fairweather fan travels regardless, the same applies if a team moves

What?? 

Is this English