What we need on Offense

WindyCity

18 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

These first and last sentences are what has been going around my head for weeks now. I'm not expecting an Andy Dalton to come in here and light it up, we just HAVE to try someone to see if we get competent QB play from somewhere.

The best recent example is Tannehill. $2mil (TWO!!) he's getting paid this year and he's been genuinely brilliant. We're not getting a miracle like that.

I hadn't thought of Carr, I'd be all for that. His personality grates on me a bit but win some games Derek and I couldn't care less.

My prediction - we ride with Alex Smith for a year in 2020, don't re-sign Mitch then reset at the position in 2021. Possibly even with Smith as a back-up if he looks decent enough.

This still comes back to is Pace willing to admit he made a mistake on Trubisky. I don't think he is and will give him his 4th season as a starter. He might bring in a failed QB like Mariota to takeover if Trubisky struggles. Like Tennesee did with Tannenhill this year.

6 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

This still comes back to is Pace willing to admit he made a mistake on Trubisky. I don't think he is and will give him his 4th season as a starter. He might bring in a failed QB like Mariota to takeover if Trubisky struggles. Like Tennesee did with Tannenhill this year.

Yeah that is the worry. Pace needs to realize that a fourth year with Mitch as the starting QB, may cost him his job.

Let's see what he says in the presser today, it'll mostly be the usual media speak of "Mitch showed progress" and "made good decisions" etc. but see if we get any inkling that patience is wearing thin. For Pace's sake, it better had be.

MT was bad, let's start wth that lest people think I am one of it's all the Oline guys that Twitter people love to decry and laugh at.  But I think very few QBs would have done well with 2019 Bears offense. Very few.  

(Speaking of that, one of those guys said Long was best Bears Olinemen by a mile when he got hurt.  By a mile. And said Bears were fools to put him on IR.  Indicating that he was playing great.)

People remember instances with open receivers and missed throws, but so many reps had free defenders coming in and nobody open.

Not all, but several of plays people put up on Twitter or YouTube with open guys the guys really aren't open.  

Defenders peel off with QB eyes 2 seconds into play and ball is thrown at 2.5, so when you look at a play with ball in air a lot of players will look wide open.  Whereas the player the QB is looking at looks tightly covered as his man did not break off. 

It's an illusion. Especially at NFL level.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

Cousins looked better because Minny ran the ball with Cook and had a play pass. Brissett plays with a better OLine in Indy and isn't great. Garoppolo plays with a running game and a play pass. Tannehill hands off to Henry and has the play pass. So all these guys have a better running game and aren't asked to carry the offense.

That is all things that Nagy doesn't want to do.

Cousins had good results in previous years throwing the ball 600 times. He's not great and you can't build a Super Bowl offense around his talent, but he's an upgrade over Mitch.

The Bears had one of the worst rushing offenses in the league this year largely because the blocking was awful and defenses didn't respect the threat of the pass. Running the ball more isn't the answer.

I think where Bears online was really bad that maybe doesn’t show up in graded stats is lack of movement or getting to second level.

Its one thing to miss a block and that happens to a lot of players.  But when your guy controls you at LOS and/or you never come off your zone double to a LB/DB that also screws up your run game.  

Bears did both, a lot.  

You know what we really, really need on offense?

A wing/TE player who can make the wham or cut block on end man of line of Scrimmage in Nagy’s base IZ play. 

We missed that block like 99% of time in 2019 and it ruined 99% of IZs. 

He never practices it because it’s an injury play in practice.  But man it shows. Use moving dummies, be creative.  

It had to have driven him insane.  It sure did me.  I could make an hour long highlight tape of that missed block in 2019. 

Key block on base play was maybe executed a handful of times in entire season. 

Pathetic  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You know what we really, really need on offense?

A wing/TE player who can make the wham or cut block on end man of line of Scrimmage in Nagy’s base IZ play. 

We missed that block like 99% of time in 2019 and it ruined 99% of IZs. 

He never practices it because it’s an injury play in practice.  But man it shows. Use moving dummies, be creative.  

It had to have driven him insane.  It sure did me.  I could make an hour long highlight tape of that missed block in 2019. 

Key block on base play was maybe executed a handful of times in entire season. 

Pathetic  

Haha this is so true. I started noticing this near the end of the season. Can't remember which game I was re-watching, maybe the win against Dallas, but JP Holtz must have been like 0 for 5 on wham blocks.

3 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Haha this is so true. I started noticing this near the end of the season. Can't remember which game I was re-watching, maybe the win against Dallas, but JP Holtz must have been like 0 for 5 on wham blocks.

In was just as bad if not worse early in year.  Burton and Shaheen literally took turns missing the block over and over.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

In was just as bad if not worse early in year.  Burton and Shaheen literally took turns missing the block over and over.  

Actually, I stopped watching closlylater in year, but I believe Holtz was better at than Burton or Shaheen who were beyond awful at it.  So not a huge compliment.  

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Actually, I stopped watching closlylater in year, but I believe Holtz was better at than Burton or Shaheen who were beyond awful at it.  So not a huge compliment.  

Honestly it was so bad I wanted to put Bars as a blocking end and then throw Holtz in the slot just to get some blocking in there. 

• Like 1