How did our defense become so rotten?

sonny44

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Remember Jamie Collins being a dumb OLB and causing big run after big run because he couldn't figure out how to fit his gap properly?

You guys realize we constantly get gashed on the perimeter of our defense when it comes to run plays because our linebackers get caught with their eyes inside and/or are getting pinned by a blocker they should have "scraped" over the top of? Our OLB play has been atrocious the last few years and it's a HUGE reason our run defense has been putrid.

Well freelancing isn't the same as being dumb, that's being selfish or undisciplined.

Obviously over time a LB is going to be more crafty but usually they lose more physically over that same span that it doesn't often make them a better player 5 years after they came in the league than they were prior to. There are exceptions, but I don't think Mack played dumb he is just lanky and doesn't move well enough to be a stud 4-3 LB in the NFL. I see a nickel LB or a 3-4 LB.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

LBers and RBs don't. Too much gets worn down on average players. Sure there are anomalies but in general a LB and RB peak early. We've probably seen the best of Barkley and Chubb isn't going to be better than he has already shown. LBers are also only going to slow down and while they can strength train the added bulk isn't going to help that unless they were severely weak which isn't usually the case with athletes who get drafted. LBers can excel better than RBs over time just from knowing where to be and what to read but physically if you can't turn and accelerate at 21 you won't be able to at 27.

Physical peak and not being beaten down and injured aren’t one and the same.

There’s not a man alive who isn’t able to be a physically better version of himself at 23 or 25 than 21.

I mean, just look at the pro bowl rosters. There’s one LB who’s under 25, most are 3-4 year vets at a minimum. Wagner, Kuechly, Hightower, Jones and Mack are all late 20’s to 30.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There’s not a man alive who isn’t able to be a physically better version of himself at 23 or 25 than 21.

Well sure if you take care of your body and avoid the equivalent to a car crash several times a week.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, just look at the pro bowl rosters. There’s one LB who’s under 25, most are 3-4 year vets at a minimum. Wagner, Kuechly, Hightower, Jones and Mack are all late 20’s to 30.

And they were all studs as soon as they came in the league. Jones is the only one who is significantly better now statistically than in either of their first two years in the league and he had 11.5 sacks and 26 QB hits his 2nd year. If Mack looked or played as well as those guys as rookies I would be pretty pumped right now. He can certainly be a better football player going forward but I can't see him being better physically, at least not enough to be able to tell.

Now if it was a strength thing absolutely.. His is a mobility issue which isn't going change going forward he can learn to take better angles and play better with what he has though. Not sure it will make a significant difference though.

Baseball proves 27 is the magical number physically. Running back proves that taking a lot of hits drops that number rapidly in most cases.

Edited by Thomas5737

13 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I usually don’t 🤓

Chris_Farley_air_quote.gif

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I only have one tip ya freak.

Sucks to be you.

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Would be odd if you had two.

Sucks to be you.

12 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I mean I’ve seen ladies with three boobies, so I just assumed that, well uh that, uh never mind that’s just in the movies 🤷🏼‍♂️

that you "usually" don't watch.

Edited by NudeTayne
Your secret is safe with Tayne
  • Like 1