Rich7sena's Mock Offseason #1

Rich7sena

This is probably the worst mock offseason I've seen. Trade Carr to replace him with a guy that couldn't beat out Garner Minshew after getting a huge contract? No thanks. Taking two off-ball linebackers in the first round? No way. Waynes has sucked in Minnesota this year and unlikely that Green is going to sign a 1 year deal, plus he's not worth $13M at this point in his career. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This is probably the worst mock offseason I've seen. Trade Carr to replace him with a guy that couldn't beat out Garner Minshew after getting a huge contract? No thanks. Taking two off-ball linebackers in the first round? No way. Waynes has sucked in Minnesota this year and unlikely that Green is going to sign a 1 year deal, plus he's not worth $13M at this point in his career. 

I tried to be nice, but the man calling a spade a spade 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's not replacing Carr with Foles, it's moving on from Carr. Further, Foles nets a second-round pick. Plus, if you look at his time Philadelphia, there is a clear blueprint for his success in the NFL. If you look at this scenario holistically, and I know you didn't, Foles and Love are replacing Carr.

I really don't understand the criticism of taking two linebackers in the first round considering the raiders need two starting linebackers.

Waynes hasn't sucked in Minnesota. He has the speed to carry vertical routes and is very good in run support. He's better than Worley, Conley, and Mullen were this season.

Green will likely sign a one-year deal because he's coming off of back to back lower-body injury years. If he is healthy, he's worth more than $13 million.

• Like 1

foles is a no for me just by the fact of availability plus you can’t get on the 2016 carr fan boys when you bringing up old skool Foles.

i’d hate to pay him that much knowing his coming off a major injury and that a almost undrafted guy took his starting gig. Imagine paying him all that $ to sit behind love lol

rather have rg3 than Foles right now maybe if it was 2years ago I’d be all in on Foles 

the way gruden hates injured players I seriously doubt we’d throw $ at A.J. 

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

It's not replacing Carr with Foles, it's moving on from Carr. Further, Foles nets a second-round pick. Plus, if you look at his time Philadelphia, there is a clear blueprint for his success in the NFL. If you look at this scenario holistically, and I know you didn't, Foles and Love are replacing Carr.

I really don't understand the criticism of taking two linebackers in the first round considering the raiders need two starting linebackers.

Waynes hasn't sucked in Minnesota. He has the speed to carry vertical routes and is very good in run support. He's better than Worley, Conley, and Mullen were this season.

Green will likely sign a one-year deal because he's coming off of back to back lower-body injury years. If he is healthy, he's worth more than $13 million.

Foles nets a high second-round pick which you invested into Jordan Love. If Mayock and Gruden believe in Love enough to spend an early pick on him, that means he's their guy and will be starting sooner rather than later. You can't cut Foles until 2022 and he's averaging a $25.5M cap hit over the next three seasons, so in the likely scenario that Love takes over as the starter sometime during that period, you'd be paying a backup quarterback $25M. If we're planning to invest an early pick into a QB we'll probably either keep Carr or replace him with a journeyman QB on a team-friendly deal someone like Marcus Mariota or making a move for a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

I understand taking Simmons early because he has game-changing ability and is an elite prospect at the position. Murray is an okay prospect but he's not a good value at #19 especially with our needs in the secondary and at WR. If we're going to add two linebackers I think we'd get much better value targeting someone like Jacob Phillips, Charles Snowden, or Troy Dye in the third round. 

Green is 32 years old and will likely seek a multi-year deal because it will likely be the last contract of his NFL career. He hasn't been healthy in two years and hasn't played at an elite level since 2017. Just no need to take the risk when there is so much talent to be had in the first round at WR. 

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Foles nets a high second-round pick which you invested into Jordan Love. If Mayock and Gruden believe in Love enough to spend an early pick on him, that means he's their guy and will be starting sooner rather than later. You can't cut Foles until 2022 and he's averaging a $25.5M cap hit over the next three seasons, so in the likely scenario that Love takes over as the starter sometime during that period, you'd be paying a backup quarterback $25M. If we're planning to invest an early pick into a QB we'll probably either keep Carr or replace him with a journeyman QB on a team-friendly deal someone like Marcus Mariota or making a move for a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

I understand taking Simmons early because he has game-changing ability and is an elite prospect at the position. Murray is an okay prospect but he's not a good value at #19 especially with our needs in the secondary and at WR. If we're going to add two linebackers I think we'd get much better value targeting someone like Jacob Phillips, Charles Snowden, or Troy Dye in the third round. 

Green is 32 years old and will likely seek a multi-year deal because it will likely be the last contract of his NFL career. He hasn't been healthy in two years and hasn't played at an elite level since 2017. Just no need to take the risk when there is so much talent to be had in the first round at WR. 

Foles can be cut in 2021 for a cap hit of a $12.5 million. That's not that bad a hit, especially if Foles ends up being a quality starter--which we cannot rule out since that is what he has been 2 of his last 3 seasons. For 2020, his salary is essentially the same as Carr and I'd expect him to produce similarly. Unless Gruden changes the way he structures his game plan, Carr isn't going to thrive like he could elsewhere. I don't believe it's out of the question that Foles performs well enough in year one to keep Love on the bench. Mariota is not a sound option to enter the season as a presumptive starter on any team.

I don't think the pressing at receiving is pressing with the addition of AJ Green. Also, I'm not nearly as high on receiver not named Jeudy or Lamb in this class--especially when you consider the relative depth at receiver against othe rpositions. I disagree with you on Murray--I believe he's a better prospect than Devin White a year ago, who I wasn't high on. He has sideline to sideline ability plus the upside as a pass rusher. I do think he should play a limited role in his first year, however. I haven't watched any of those other linebackers you listed so I reserve judgment.

Green was an elite player in 2018, it's just that he only played half a season. Green has yet to show he's not an elite receiver when he's actually on the field. Signing Green to be the number one carries less risk than drafting one considering 1) Green's pedigree and proven track record, and 2) the relative unknown prospect of drafting a player--especially one not named Jeudy or Lamb.