Rich7sena's Mock Offseason #1

Rich7sena

Starting cap: $70,843,670

Cuts

LeMarcus Joyner- $12,950,000 savings

• He simply hasn’t performed up to expectations. He’s a starting safety, but not a starting slot corner which is how he is getting paid.

Tahir Whitehead - $6,250,000 savings

• He’s a limited player whose only contributions occasionally arise in the rune game. He’s a liability in pass coverage and has no pass rushing upside.

Trades

Derek Carr and 2020 3rd round pick (#80) to Carolina - $22,500,000 savings

2020 2nd Round pick (#38) and 2020 3rd round pick (#69) to Oakland

• Why it makes sense for Oakland: I believe Derek Carr is squarely among the quality starter group of quarterbacks, and although I don’t believe the Raiders are in a position to bring in a player better than him in 2020, the disdain train has seemingly left the station with the fanbase and possibly coach Gruden. It’s best the team rips off the bandaid and start over at the position upon their arrival in Las Vegas.

• Why it makes sense for Carolina: Carolina makes sense as a trade partner because if they move Newton--which I believe they will--they will want a playoff-caliber starter to take up the mantle considering the fairly well-stocked arsenal of young offensive weapons. Carr paired with a modern offensive-minded head coach, like Eric Bieniemy, could spell trouble for the rest of the NFC South.

2020 4th round pick (#109) to Jacksonville

Nick Foles and 2020 2nd round pick (#39) to Oakland - $22,125,000

• Although Foles is not the best fit (for practically any offense outside of Philadelphia), I like the idea of possibly acquiring a second, second-round pick and adding a decent veteran starter heading into 2020.

Re-signings

Richie Incognito - 2 years, $14,000,000

• I had been working on this months for a few weeks leading up to week 17. I had Incognito as a priority re-sign--albeit for $4 million-a-year less.

Dion Jordon - 2 years, $12,000,000 | Contract comp: Kyle Van Noy

• Jordan has been arguably the team’s best pass rusher since he joined. He’s able to effective rush via multiple gaps and adds depth to one of the most important positions.

David Sharpe - 2 years, $8,000,000 | Contract comp: Cameron Fleming; Ereck Flowers

• Backup/swing tackles are increasingly important in the NFL, especially in light of the Trent Brown’s absence during the end of this regular season. Sharpe is a competent right tackle and is markedly better than Brandon Parker--the latter should be moved to guard or be jettisoned into the sun.

Free agency

Byron Jones - 5 years, $80,000,000 | Contract comp: Patrick Peterson; Josh Norman

• The big-ticket player I expect will not re-sign in Dallas (I still think Dallas goes big 3 part deux). Jones is among the best corners in the league, and I believe he has the ability to expand his game to play in the slot when needed.

AJ Green - 1 year, $13,000,000 | Contract comp: Alshon Jeffery

• Green is the only true number one receiver the Raiders will have a shop at getting (sans trade, but trading for receivers has left a bad taste in the team’s mouth lately) via free agency or the draft. I still believe he has elite play left in him.

Trae Waynes - 4 years, $52,000,000 | Contract comp: Malcolm Butler

• He’s not among the top corners in the league, but like tackle play, competent corner play comes at a premium. Waynes is a better coverage corner than anyone on the 2019 roster with the added benefit of being very good in run support.

Sean Lee - 1 year, $3,000,000 | Contract comp: Zach Brown

• Lee has just really started playing over the past two weeks in absence of Vander Esch and I still see glimpses of what he used to be. I still think he has many quality starting weeks left in him provided he can stay healthy.

Jonathan Williams - 1 year, 3,000,000, | Contract comp: Mike Davis

• 2019 was certainly a year for Jonathan Williams “truthers” after Mack went down. I imagine him being more of a true backup to Jacobs (like Washington) than a compliment (like Richard).

Adrian Phillips - 1 year, $2,500,000 | Contract comp: Tre Boston

• Safety play has been a thorn in the Raiders’ thigh for a while and particularly this season. Phillips is not a cure to the problems but he should stabilize the position for at least a season alongside Harris and while Abrams returns.

Ending cap: $22,918,670

Draft

Round 1:

1. Cincinnati Bengals select Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

2. Washington Redskins select Chase Young, Edge, Ohio State

3. Detroit Lions select Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State

4. New York Giants select Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

5. Miami Dolphins select Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

6. Los Angeles Chargers select Jacob Eason, QB, Washington

7. Carolina Panthers select Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

8. Arizona Cardinals select Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

9. Jacksonville Jaguars select CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

10. Cleveland Browns select Alex Leatherwood, OL, Alabama

11. New York Jets select Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

12. Oakland Raiders select Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson

• A position versatile player I envision will play weakside linebacker. He'd be a massive upgrade over Nicholas Morrow.

13. Indianapolis Colts select Derek Brown, DL, Auburn

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Javon Kinlaw, DL, South Carolina

15. Denver Broncos select Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama

16. Atlanta Falcons select Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

17. Dallas Cowboys select AJ Epenesa, Edge, Iowa

18. Miami Dolphins select Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

19. Oakland Raiders select Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma

• I think I will like Murray throughout the process more than most. He'll run fast and jump high. He also provides pass rushing upside on third downs. He'd by my favorite to replace Tahir Whitehead and eventually replace free-agent signee Sean Lee manning the middle.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars select D’Andre Swift, RB, Georgia

21. Philadelphia Eagles select CJ Henderson, CB, Florida

22. Tennessee Titans select Yatur Gross-Matos, Edge, Penn State

23. Buffalo Bills select Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

24. Minnesota Vikings select Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford

25. Miami Dolphins select Tyler Biadasz, OL, Wisconsin

26. Seattle Seahawks select Austin Jackson, OT, USC

27. New England Patriots select Curtis Weaver, Edge, Boise State

28. Green Bay Packers select Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

29. Kansas City Chiefs select Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama

30. New Orleans Saints select Bryce Hall, DB, Virginia

31. San Francisco 49ers select Prince Tega Wanogho, OL, Auburn

32. Baltimore Ravens select Terrell Lewis, Edge, Alabama

Round 2:

38. Oakland Raiders select Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

• Not super in love with him but I can see a clear path to becoming a quality starter. I think he shares a lot of qualities, good and bad, with Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton.

42. Oakland Raiders select Shane Lemieux, OL, Oregon

• I really like Lemieux as an eventual successor to either Jackson or Incognito. In the meantime he provides important depth.

Round 3:

69. Cam Akers, RB, Florida State

• I believe he's as talented as any back in this class. I think he can effectively play the Jalen Richard role.

81. Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State

• A very explosive receiver who I can see becoming a star in the NFL. More likely, he'll provide quality depth and the eventual big play.

90. Hunter Bryant, TE, Washington

• Although there's no guarantee the offense will look the same in 2020 as it did in 2019, the Raiders did deploy three tight ends relatively regularly throughout the season. Bryant is an intriguing talent who is more receiver than tight end but still should provide depth at both positions. 
Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 3

Solid Off Mock Season, thank you for putting the time and effort into this. 

I love the cuts, the re-signings, the 1st Round draft picks, the Carr trade to Carolina, the Jordan Love Pick, just about everything. Love it man. 

Only things I’d change is raise Green from 1 year to 2 years, and also:

I don’t want Foles. He is terrible imo and 22M a year for 3 more years, no thank you. Give me someone like Fitzpatrick for 2 years 19M per year, Brady at 2 years, 25M per year, even Rivers at 1 year 25M. 

Basically, anyone but Foles. He’s fools gold to the core. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

At first glance the double dip on LBs in the first seems like over kill but with how the board fell and our need for talent at LB it definitely makes sense. Can’t argue with Love if Gruden thinks he’s the QB he wants to target. 

Only gripe with the draft would be that Bryant seems like a luxury pick given our talent at TE. I’d rather see us draft a DL or DB. More talent on the defensive side of the ball is a must before we draft a backup to Walker and FM. 

I like the Jones signing and don’t mind signing to corners but I think Gruden/Mayock are too high on Mullen/Johnson to spend more after securing Byron Jones so I could see that extra money somewhere else besides Waynes. 

if we do move on for Carr id be all over the return you got. Also think Chicago is an interesting spot for Carr. Obviously a history there. Echo the Foles gripe though. I’d much rather go sign a journeyman QB because Foles isn’t our guy long term anyway. We’d all be clamoring for Love by game 10 so I’d rather not have Foles contract on the bench. 

Edited by CaliforniaKid7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t want Foles. He is terrible imo and 22M a year for 3 more years, no thank you. Give me someone like Fitzpatrick for 2 years 19M per year, Brady at 2 years, 25M per year, even Rivers at 1 year 25M. 

Basically, anyone but Foles. He’s fools gold to the core. 

Fitzpatrick is the epitome of fool's gold. His production comes at the expense of wins and he likely won't enjoy the open offense which allows him to somewhat thrive. The Raiders should be in striking distance of the playoffs and Fitzpatrick could easily nuke all that. I would similarly say no to Rivers at that number. He's a better player than Fitzpatrick, but his arm appears to be shot and is becoming more and more turnover prone. Plus, the current Chargers have a far superior roster on both sides of the ball than the Raiders and Rivers lost to them twice. Brady I like, but I believe he returns to New England.

Foles has to be in a very specific role and have his reads strictly defined, which is a lot of what Gruden's offense entails. Call him fools gold all you want, but he has a ring and a Super Bowl MVP. Plus, in my scenario, Foles brings an early second-rounder.

The best fit for Gruden's offense of the likely free-agent quarterback would probably be Andy Dalton. He's a spry and lateral player who, when surrounded by a quality receiving corps, has proven to be a winner--at least in the regular season.

4 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Only gripe with the draft would be that Bryant seems like a luxury pick given our talent at TE. I’d rather see us draft a DL or DB. More talent on the defensive side of the ball is a must before we draft a backup to Walker and FM. 

I like the Jones signing and don’t mind signing to corners but I think Gruden/Mayock are too high on Mullen/Johnson to spend more after securing Byron Jones so I could see that extra money somewhere else besides Waynes. 

if we do move on for Carr id be all over the return you got. Also think Chicago is an interesting spot for Carr. Obviously a history there. Echo the Foles gripe though. I’d much rather go sign a journeyman QB because Foles isn’t our guy long term anyway. We’d all be clamoring for Love by game 10 so I’d rather not have Foles contract on the bench. 

I really haven't watched enough prospects to have a thorough insight on players I'd like the Raiders to target in third, and even the second round--I just plugged in players I liked. That said--and I just added this to the opening post--the Raiders did deploy three tight ends a fair amount in 2019 so I don't think the Bryant pick would be gratuitous. Further, he provides depth at both tight end and receiver.

Regarding the corners; to me, a team has to have three quality starting corners. I'm sure the Mayock and the staff would like Johnson to develop into a starter, but as a 4th round and virtually no pro tape, I'm not comfortable going into the season as a presumptive starter.

See above on why I chose Foles.

Thanks for commenting.

1 minute ago, roi34 said:

Carr to files doesn't excite anyone going to Vegas. Winston would be more exciting or Mariota honestly. And they don't excite me at all.

I mean both are bad options and neither return you a second-round pick.

I really don't get the Mariota love; he looks completely broken as a passer.

I don't know if getting the 2nd is worth carrying Foles cap hit. You're taking on 33M at least (if he's cut before 2021) over the next 2 years for a stopgap QB.

Do any of Jones and Waynes play nickel? Mullen will be one of our outside CBs so if you sign 2 CBs, one has to be able to play inside.

I don't think Sharpe is an UFA. I know spotrac is listing him as one but 3 years vets are restricted FA.

What about Karl Joseph? I hope we resign him.

Everyone on this board knows I'm not a Carr guy anymore. I wish I could be because he seems like a solid person. That said, I don't know think there is a veteran that is an upgrade. Foles is a cost negative trade. Dalton or Rivers are the only true options. Brady isn't going anywhere. Newton seems broken, but he is interesting if healthy.

Ultimately, Carr probably gets one more year. The only real caveat would be if Tua fell to us at 12. We can still get a great WR at 18. In that scenario, we look to move Carr for a mid second rounder and look to address defense with our 2,3,3,3 round picks. The other option is wait to get a WR in round 2 because its such a deep class and try to sign AJ green. 

Resign-

Incognito- done

Karl Joseph

Dion Jordan

Free agents-

Byron Jones

AJ Green

Michael Brockers

cut-

Terrel williams- not sure if this is feasible from a cap hit standpoint but he has been a bust. Probably have to keep him.

Lamarcus Joyner- overpaid

Get a new kicker our guy is terrible

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I mean both are bad options and neither return you a second-round pick.

I really don't get the Mariota love; he looks completely broken as a passer.

Oh I don't love him by any means. That's point. Carr shows better arm talent and decisions than all those options. Best year moving around pocket I saw from Carr. I think next season is his last here anyway.

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't know if getting the 2nd is worth carrying Foles cap hit. You're taking on 33M at least (if he's cut before 2021) over the next 2 years for a stopgap QB.

Do any of Jones and Waynes play nickel? Mullen will be one of our outside CBs so if you sign 2 CBs, one has to be able to play inside.

I don't think Sharpe is an UFA. I know spotrac is listing him as one but 3 years vets are restricted FA.

Well he'd be on the roster all of 2020. And the cap hit is barely more than if the team goes with another stopgap like Dalton or Rivers except neither bring back a second-round pick. So, it's not like bringing in Foles is detrimental to signing another player.

I would anticipate Jones would play slot and Mullen would play nickel.

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bringing foles ruins the entire offseason I’m sorry. Dude was benched 

Dude also won a Super Bowl and was Super Bowl MVP--so there's a clear blueprint for success with him. If you can, I suggest you go watch his 2018 tape and you'll see why he was given the contract he was by Jacksonville. Most quarterbacks are beholden to their situation and Foles is no different. I don't anticipate he's the answer but he can be a competent starter in Gruden's offense. More importantly, he returns a second-round pick for maybe $3 or $4 million more than an alternative veteran starter.

13 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Oh I don't love him by any means. That's point. Carr shows better arm talent and decisions than all those options. Best year moving around pocket I saw from Carr. I think next season is his last here anyway.

I also believe Carr is the best football option as I wrote in the opening post. I do think there's some merit to starting over at the position because he has become the franchise scapegoat despite not being part of the problem.