The Short Term Playoff Push Quinn/Patricia Offseason (Mock)

TL-TwoWinsAway

25 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Exactly. And, based on that, I draw the conclusion that, by knowing our roster was insufficient without Stafford, and by not bringing in an upgrade to Driskel or Blough, they were satisfied with fielding an insufficient roster and playing for draft capital. That's exactly what happened.

Midway through the second year of what's clearly a rebuild, trading valuable draft capital just to fall short of the playoffs would be a huge mistake. Instead, they positioned us with the 3rd overall pick, which has tons of value this year.

This is where I'll take a slight detour. I think they like their guys and just accepted the injuries as the reason for their unfortunate record. With long term planning in mind, you don't just throw away guys that you like. I don't think they were planning on trying to win the 3rd overall pick. I think it was more that they didn't want to give up future draft capital to add guys that weren't really going to be difference makers in the season and jeopardizing future plans. 

Maybe it's just semantics or slight differences in perspective but it seems like there's enough of a difference to warrant a clarification on my part. 

49 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This is where I'll take a slight detour. I think they like their guys and just accepted the injuries as the reason for their unfortunate record. With long term planning in mind, you don't just throw away guys that you like. I don't think they were planning on trying to win the 3rd overall pick. I think it was more that they didn't want to give up future draft capital to add guys that weren't really going to be difference makers in the season and jeopardizing future plans. 

Maybe it's just semantics or slight differences in perspective but it seems like there's enough of a difference to warrant a clarification on my part. 

Nope, that's fair clarification. To me, that's one in the same with "tanking". It's not the players that are trying to lose, but the GM willing to field a substandard roster with the long term goals in mind.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Nope, that's fair clarification. To me, that's one in the same with "tanking". It's not the players that are trying to lose, but the GM willing to field a substandard roster with the long term goals in mind.

I'm sorry but I guess I'm a dog with a bone on this;

That last part could mean any team that doesn't do what the Rams essentially did, according to your logic.

A few teams tops make all in type moves in a given year.

You could argue the majority of the league is tanking with what your saying.

37 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I'm sorry but I guess I'm a dog with a bone on this;

That last part could mean any team that doesn't do what the Rams essentially did, according to your logic.

A few teams tops make all in type moves in a given year.

You could argue the majority of the league is tanking with what your saying.

Well, no. If a team is able to remain somewhat competitive with what they have, not making a move isn't "fielding a substandard roster with the future in mind". If a fringe team sustains a big injury to a key player, the roster is otherwise depleted, and they do nothing to attempt to remain competitive, I believe that the team is clearly looking to the future.

15 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, no. If a team is able to remain somewhat competitive with what they have, not making a move isn't "fielding a substandard roster with the future in mind". If a fringe team sustains a big injury to a key player, the roster is otherwise depleted, and they do nothing to attempt to remain competitive, I believe that the team is clearly looking to the future.

That team may very well believe its still competitive or whatever move they considered making didnt warrant mortgaging the future 

6 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

That team may very well believe its still competitive or whatever move they considered making didnt warrant mortgaging the future 

Sure, it's possible.

Question: if I made a mock with a team that reflected our Week 9 roster, how many wins would you bet they'd get in 2020? I guarantee that, if I made that mock, many would label it a terrible team worthy of a top 5 pick. Because it was.

28 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Sure, it's possible.

Question: if I made a mock with a team that reflected our Week 9 roster, how many wins would you bet they'd get in 2020? I guarantee that, if I made that mock, many would label it a terrible team worthy of a top 5 pick. Because it was.

That alone doesnt point to tanking. At all.

Just now, detroitroar said:

That alone doesnt point to tanking. At all.

If Quinn saw the same thing, which I'm certain that he did, he continued to field that roster when he could have traded resources to try and make the roster competitive. Intentionally fielding a roster incapable of winning while holding resources to help long term is tanking.

39 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If Quinn saw the same thing, which I'm certain that he did, he continued to field that roster when he could have traded resources to try and make the roster competitive. Intentionally fielding a roster incapable of winning while holding resources to help long term is tanking.

I dont understand how you can say we were incapable of winning. We must of been watching 2 different teams.

4 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I dont understand how you can say we were incapable of winning. We must of been watching 2 different teams.

... they finished 0-8. I'm not arguing that they couldn't have possibly won one or so, but it wasn't a roster that was going to win enough games to matter. Which is exactly why Quinn held his resources and fielded a roster that earned us the 3rd overall pick.

Decker is set to make $10M next season.  He's not going to re-sign for $6M/year.  He'll get significantly more than that on the FA market given his youngish age as an UFA (27), playing one of the most important positions on the field (LT), and being a top 15 player at his position in the league.

For reference sake, Riley Reiff got 11.5M/year 3 years ago as a FA despite being older than Decker will be as a FA, being worse than Decker, and the league having a smaller cap at the time.

Edited by fortdetroit

47 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Have anything to support this? I certainly don't view him that way.

Consistently ranks very well in pressures allowed compared to other OTs(though he's not a true elite) and we were #1 in the NFL in ypc running behind the LT this year. Pretty clear Decker can hold his own better than most of these OTs teams are throwing out there these days. He rarely gets help either.