Divisional Round GDT - Vikings at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

11 hours ago, N4L said:

I was watching the sound FX on 49ers.com from the rams game with warner. There was a moment he looks over at spoon and says 'HEY! Dont forget! You are one of the best players in the WORLD'

I think spoon will find it at some point. He really was lights out this year in the first 3 weeks. 

Not only the first three weeks, but he was really good against GB/BAL. And though he allowed a TD against Thomas, that was a nice back and forth battle where he more than held his own. Went downhill after that, especially from the Rams game on. Now he's lost his confidence. A confident Spoon breaks up or picks off the deep ball that went for a TD last week. But he just panicked and fell for no apparent reason allowing a long TD.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, BayRaider said:

For sure. I wouldn’t mind seeing Niners get their sixth (unlike most Raider fans). I’d also like to see Rodgers add to his legacy and prove McCarthy held him back for 7 years. I also would love to see the Titans win cause it’s such an awesome story and I LOVE physical football teams. Tenn/Buf/SF are very physical teams. But Tenn is extremely physical on both offense and defense. As for KC, I wouldn’t mind Reid finally getting a ring. He’s long overdue. 

Bottom line, I just wanna see good football. 

So if McCarthy flourishes in Dallas and Rodgers never sees another Super Bowl, does that mean Rodgers held McCarthy back for those 7 years?

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

So if McCarthy flourishes in Dallas and Rodgers never sees another Super Bowl, does that mean Rodgers held McCarthy back for those 7 years?

We’d have to look at it with context. Dallas is stacked with talent. Top 3 talented roster to be honest. Especially the D. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

We’d have to look at it with context. Dallas is stacked with talent. Top 3 talented roster to be honest. Especially the D. 

So basically, we will always be making excuses for Rodgers if he never wins another Super Bowl?  I'm not trying to single you out personally, BayRaider.  I like a lot of your takes.  It's just that with Rodgers when one of his excuses is taken away, there seems to always be another one that gets pulled out. 

Here is a small list from what has been used over the last 10 years:

- He doesn't trust his receivers.
- No talent around him.
- Bad coaching.
- Bad play calling.
- GM won't bring any free agents.
- He was injured.
- Defense was horrible.
- Refs missed a call and cost us the game.

It's just incredible with this guy. No matter what happens, it never falls back on him.  I've never seen a player who has more excuses made for him when he doesn't get the job done.  When people have been trying to compare him to Tom Brady and say he is the best who has ever played the game, the excuses start to ring a little hollow.

I think he said it best himself:

"As quarterbacks, we earn a paycheck during the regular season, but we truly build our legacy in the postseason." 

That doesn't leave much room for excuses as far as I'm concerned.  It's just like the Vikings.  58 years in the league and they have yet to ever win a single championship.  This year they just broke the record for the most playoff losses for an NFL team all time.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.  Eventually, you have to rise above what mediocre players/teams make excuses for when they lose. 

With Rodgers, we will see tomorrow.  Maybe I'll end up eating crow.  If the Packers win and Rodgers plays a decent part in it, I will be the first to step up to the table for my serving of crow.  :)

• Like 1