How would you feel if Haskins isn’t the starter?

turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Since the rough format for entering into this discussion seems to be “1. State your age; 2. State your position on Haskins’s maturity,” please allow me to start by saying that I’m 34 and I think Haskins is still a little immature. 

I don’t think that makes him a bad kid — and he is just a kid, after all — but when you compare him to the rest of the group of humans he’s trying to join (NFL starting QBs), he’s got a little ways to go in terms of professionalism. Even when comparing him to his closest contemporaries, he’s really not the type of kid who you’d call “mature beyond his years,” as you might with an Andrew Luck or a Deshaun Watson.

I think professionalism is something you can (and in some cases almost have to) learn on the job. I had to do that in my profession — one day I “became” a lawyer, but I wasn’t ready right out of the box to meet all the standards and always carry myself like a professional in my field should. I grew into it, and there were definitely some growing pains. What you eventually learn is that being a professional, in my opinion, means choosing what’s right and necessary for the sake of your business over your own preferences and indulging your own whims. For me, that meant things like always being on time for court, returning calls promptly, keeping my office tidy, biting my tongue when judges were wrong or ruled against me (aren’t those two the same thing anyway?). 

And for Dwayne, that means there’s a lot of we’ve seen that he still needs work on. Come to camp in shape. Study hard and learn on every rep, even when you’re not the one taking the rep. Don’t get too high after a win or too low after a loss — teammates look to the QB to be a steadying influence. No selfies before games are over. And when it comes to this social media stuff, recognize that everything you like, comment, or post will be scrutinized more than anyone else. Whether you like it or not. The only way to avoid winding up in “should he have or shouldn’t he have” debates about social media activity is JUST DON’T DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Even largely innocent posts with good intentions could cause problems — just as one possible example, what if Sims or Harmon takes it the wrong way that the QB is actively daydreaming about replacing them with a better player? Why take the risk? Choose the well-being of the team at all times, especially over your desire to post something you think is cool or fun on your social media. That’s being a professional. 

He’s making good progress on lots of this. I’m a big fan, and I love watching the videos of him getting together with the receivers and doing various workouts and all that. I have high hopes. But we also don’t have to pretend that he’s not a little immature for an NFL QB — he’s still a work in progress, in most respects. 

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!

This is what I was trying to convey in my take on it, but I had far less time due to staying at home with a cranky 2 year old who is running a 102 degree temperature so I was brief. 

It's why I listed it at most as a 5 on a 1-10 scale. The guy will grow into the job. By all respects, he's doing fine. 

35 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

Still blows my mind people here think they have a right to criticize how a person chooses to live their OWN life just because he represents your favorite team.    Very sad. 

In general, I agree with you. But when it potentially has an effect on the team that he plays for (the one I've been a fan of longer than he's been alive) then I can criticize him (notice though that I really haven't, I'm just reserving the right to). 

What effect? Well, refer back to @e16bball's post. And this passage specifically...

The only way to avoid winding up in “should he have or shouldn’t he have” debates about social media activity is JUST DON’T DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Even largely innocent posts with good intentions could cause problems — just as one possible example, what if Sims or Harmon takes it the wrong way that the QB is actively daydreaming about replacing them with a better player? Why take the risk? Choose the well-being of the team at all times, especially over your desire to post something you think is cool or fun on your social media. That’s being a professional. 

That's why some people are not happy. 

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Which Redskins players are doing that? I'll wait...

It's called multi-tasking. One does not have to approve of any of the actions you've listed. Nor does criticism of an IG post indicate that the other things you listed are okay.

No one said they were? Not sure what you’re trying to say here.  

People trying to somehow tie Haskins future performance and leadership on the field with what he posts on social media (which is also cluttered with actual training and workout footage) is comical to me.  You guys are just as bad as redskins media trying to scrutinize every little move a player makes to shed them in a negative light.  Just awful. 

Edited by tredaddy

Just now, tredaddy said:

No one said they were? Not sure what you’re trying to say here.  

Then why did you put the two together? Remember, it wasn't me that put those two together, You did.

People trying to somehow tie Haskins future performance and leadership on the field with what he posts on social media (which is also cluttered with actual training and workout footage) is comical to me.

If he's posting immature things or doing things that expose his immaturity and also piss off his current teammates, that absolutely does have en effect on his leadership and performance. 

For instance, we used to have a QB that alienated his entire college team. They hated the guy. So much so that no one came to his Pro Day. And when he got here he continued his immature social media stuff which was an extension of his diva attitude. And not surprisingly, the Redskins players didn't like him either. That absolutely has an effect on your leadership and the willingness of the guy next to you to play for you.

You guys are just as bad as redskins media trying to scrutinize every little move a player makes to shed them in a negative life.  Just awful. 

Notice that I said to give him a break? That this isn't really that bad. But it can be if the WRs on the team take it as an offending post. Unless it has an effect ( or potential effect) on the team, I don't care. 

3 hours ago, tredaddy said:

We got players smugglings pounds of weed across the country.... domestic violence abusers.... PED users.... and we're complaining about an IG post in 2020 xD

But because Robinson isn't a QB that's overlooked. So Haskins has haters who want to call him out for a damn IG Post!! SMH. 

43 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

In general, I agree with you. But when it potentially has an effect on the team that he plays for (the one I've been a fan of longer than he's been alive) then I can criticize him (notice though that I really haven't, I'm just reserving the right to). 

What effect? Well, refer back to @e16bball's post. And this passage specifically...

Haskins saying he would want to play with Diggs is affecting the team in a negative way how? 

45 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Grow some Balls Harmon and whoever is effected negatively. You wanted Haskins to remain humble/professional while he was clearly outcasted for McCoy and Keenum yet Haskins was only 21 9f age or less. Come on Man! People can't have it both ways. 

Haskins talent is what made him a 1st round pick. Maybe he does need to Mature some but what 21/22 year old Male doesn't? Reports out from Redskins Media is Haskins has put in the work and that's all that's matter to me. I don't care if People like Haskins personally but if he's doing his Job and you still have A problem I'll say something about it. 

If his WR's are offended with him possibly recruiting a player that would make the TEAM better than they are the problem not Haskins. 

• Like 1

Holy Christ this thread is ridiculous lol. You just don’t do what he did. Why this is so hard for the two of you to understand is beyond me? I was on the Haskins train before most on here. I have his jersey hanging in my closet. I’m a huge fan of his. I didn’t even really give him crap about the selfie thing but I did cringe when I saw the Diggs post. 

If you somehow think this means I’m a hater then you have your own agendas you need to come to terms with. This isn’t about not letting him live his life or “ok boomer” (I’m 34 by the way), it’s simply about not doing something that could paint the team in a bad light. What he did could be seen as tampering. You’re not allowed to recruit players currently under contract with another team. Also, it’s pretty crappy to do this when you have some young receivers on your team who played their *** off for you and might take it the wrong way.

I honestly wish McLaurin would post up an Instagram of Tua throwing him a pass in a Redskins uniform. Let’s see if you two are still tripping over yourselves to defend someone being a kid...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Grow some Balls Harmon and whoever is effected negatively. You wanted Haskins to remain humble/professional while he was clearly outcasted for McCoy and Keenum yet Haskins was only 21 9f age or less. Come on Man! People can't have it both ways. 

Haskins talent is what made him a 1st round pick. Maybe he does need to Mature some but what 21/22 year old Male doesn't? Reports out from Redskins Media is Haskins has put in the work and that's all that's matter to me. I don't care if People like Haskins personally but if he's doing his Job and you still have A problem I'll say something about it. 

If his WR's are offended with him possibly recruiting a player that would make the TEAM better than they are the problem not Haskins. 

Only one wanting it both ways are the ones who tell others that Haskins can't be criticized for actions that could have an effect on his leadership...and then excuse it as the guy being 21/22 and admitting that he has a maturity problem.

Either he needs to grow up a bit (and grow into the job a bit) or he doesn't.

Personally, I'm not all too wrapped around the axle about it. But I might be if I'm one of his receivers who played their tails off for him last year. Remember, these guys aren't the GM or the Coach. So getting a guy in here and putting them out of a job for "the good of the team" might not be met with the same aplomb or nonchalance as it would if it were Kyle or Ron. 

This is why the post was not the most well thought out thing to do. Was it an honest mistake? Probably. But tell you what. Take a picture with a hot girl (who is not your wife or girlfriend) and then post it to Instagram with the message of (basically) "I wish I were with you instead" (*). And see how they'd take it. My guess is not well. 

(*) and before you go batcrap about how he didn't post those words, yes. But the IG post basically conveyed that same message to his current receivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Haskins saying he would want to play with Diggs is affecting the team in a negative way how? 

Show your girlfriend/wife a picture of a hot woman and tell her you'd rather be with her instead. See how receptive she is to doing anything with you afterward.

This is Interpersonal Relationships 101 stuff here, my friend. It's not a hard concept to understand.

24 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Only one wanting it both ways are the ones who tell others that Haskins can't be criticized for actions that could have an effect on his leadership...and then excuse it as the guy being 21/22 and admitting that he has a maturity problem.

Personally, I'm not all too wrapped around the axle about it. But I might be if I'm one of his receivers who played their tails off for him last year. Remember, these guys aren't the GM or the Coach. So getting a guy in here and putting them out of a job for "the good of the team" might not be met with the same aplomb or nonchalance as it would if it were Kyle or Ron. 

This is why the post was not the most well thought out thing to do. Was it an honest mistake? Probably. But tell you what. Take a picture with a hot girl (who is not your wife or girlfriend) and then post it to Instagram with the message of (basically) "I wish I were with you instead" (*). And see how they'd take it. My guess is not well. 

(*) and before you go batcrap about how he didn't post those words, yes. But the IG post basically conveyed that same message to his current receivers.

Lol sorry but you just sound ridiculous right now.  There hasn’t been a SINGLE outcry from ANY player being upset what Haskins posted. 

The only one crying about it are fans like you. 

If you’re mad a teammate is trying to recruit a stud so your TEAM can perform better as a UNIT because you’re worried about someone else taking over your job, then you don’t deserve to be in the NFL.

Keep going down this rabbit hole, you’re just sounding crazier the more you try to defend this 😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Take it personally WR just like I took it personal with McCoy and Keenum being given a opportunity before me. I took it personal and work my behind off each and every game I started. I even asked the Oline "What do need to do".  Than when starting I got better game after game. #FACTS 

6 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

Lol sorry but you just sound ridiculous right now.  There hasn’t been a SINGLE outcry from ANY player being upset what Haskins posted.  The only one crying about it are fans like you. 

If you’re mad a teammate is trying to recruit a stud so your TEAM can perform better as a UNIT because you’re worried about someone else taking over your job, then you don’t deserve to be in the NFL.  Keep going down this rabbit hole, you’re just sounding crazier the more you try to defend this 😂

I mean, Clinton Portis said it was a bad look. He said it wouldn’t have been well received in the locker room and he probably would’ve been pulled aside and told not to do it anymore. 

And you simply aren’t allowed to recruit players currently under contract. It’s called tampering. It’s against league rules and I’m sure if the Vikings got irritated enough they could bring it up to the league and I’m willing to bet the league would tell him to knock it off. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Take it personally WR just like I took it personal with McCoy and Keenum being given a opportunity before me. I took it personal and work my behind off each and every game I started. I even asked the Oline "What do need to do".  Than when starting I got better game after game. #FACTS 

Haskins didn't start because of the coach. And because of the situation between Gruden and the Front Office. There's a difference between the coach making a starting decision and your QB telling the world he'd rather have another guy catching his passes. Immature divas (*) don't work out at QB (for very long). Griffin didn't. His teammates hated him. And it showed in the final product on the field.

(*) Not saying he is. Just explaining why behavior like this...if it continues to add up, will form a narrative of him in the locker room that is not positive. Which is gonna affect the final product.

But rewind...in this case, I say to give him a break. It was an honest mistake by a young, probably immature, guy who is growing into the position. If this were Rodgers or Brady or someone else, it's a nothingburger. But Haskins doesn't have enough chips at the table right now to take the chance that this stuff gets taken the wrong way by OTHER young guys.

Just now, lavar703 said:

I mean, Clinton Portis said it was a bad look. He said it wouldn’t have been well received in the locker room and he probably would’ve been pulled aside and told not to do it anymore. 

Yeah...what does Clinton know about NFL locker rooms, huh? Guy never played a down...

...oh wait...

And you simply aren’t allowed to recruit players currently under contract. It’s called tampering. It’s against league rules and I’m sure if the Vikings got irritated enough they could bring it up to the league and I’m willing to bet the league would tell him to knock it off. 

This is also a potential issue. 

I love Haskins. The guy will learn what he can do and not do as the QB of an NFL team. There's lots of things I'd love to do at my current company, but I can't because I'm the boss. Like @e16bball said, you sometimes have to put what you want to do behind being a professional.