Make Another Movie - Draft Thread

Dome

Writing scripts is easier than writing prose in my opinion.  Scripts are simple, to the point, don’t have to deal with expressing character thoughts, don’t have to worry about a lot of stuff.  Prose is definitely not for someone who struggles with completing projects.  Just my two cents.

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Writing scripts is easier than writing prose in my opinion.  Scripts are simple, to the point, don’t have to deal with expressing character thoughts, don’t have to worry about a lot of stuff.  Prose is definitely not for someone who struggles with completing projects.  Just my two cents.

My whole thing is that it's much easier to get a book published than to get a screenplay made.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rackcs said:

My whole thing is that it's much easier to get a book published than to get a screenplay made.

I would maybe dial back your expectations a bit, especially if you're struggling with completing a book.  If you're not writing out of passion for writing, then you're not where you need to be to even consider submitting a book for publishing.  Voice is important, and you won't have that if the end goal is get something published or made instead of create a work of art.

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Very true, especially with self-publishing.  I self-published a stupid book once just to check out the process.  I completely forgot about it and checked like 6 years later and I made 7 dollars from people buying, "101 Things I Learned in Life," or some other stupid title with a bunch of things similar to the stupid **** I post on here.  It had a picture of Guinea Pigs on the cover. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I would maybe dial back your expectations a bit, especially if you're struggling with completing a book.  If you're not writing out of passion for writing, then you're not where you need to be to even consider submitting a book for publishing.  Voice is important, and you won't have that if the end goal is get something published or made instead of create a work of art.

It's not that I'm expecting my books to be published or anything but more that that would be an ultimate goal. Honestly I'll likely never even have a book published. Obviously I'm going to write things in the way that I want, I wouldn't even know how to write something in ways that would make them more likely to be published.

6 minutes ago, rackcs said:

It's not that I'm expecting my books to be published or anything but more that that would be an ultimate goal. Honestly I'll likely never even have a book published. Obviously I'm going to write things in the way that I want, I wouldn't even know how to write something in ways that would make them more likely to be published.

OK cool, that's a much better mindset.

The problem you're likely having is overediting.  Probably the best way to deal with that is to aim for a short novel of like 60,000 words.  Make a rough outline, write it a chapter at a time, and make a rule that you can't edit it at all until you're done.  That will allow the story to unfold more organically while you still know where you're going.  You can  go back and edit it later, and if you lose interest in it at that point, no worries, you now have an idea of how you write and how long it will end up.  Most people either write way too long, and need to scale back their stories to get to an acceptable length, or go way too short and end up with a novella.

If you do finish and edit for continuity and just overall quality, that's probably the  point where you want to try and get people to read it and give you feedback.  It's really difficult to accurately judge something you create and spend a ton of your time on, so you'll probably want outside help.

Also, everyone has their own process, so take all of that with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The problem you're likely having is overediting.  Probably the best way to deal with that is to aim for a short novel of like 60,000 words.  Make a rough outline, write it a chapter at a time, and make a rule that you can't edit it at all until you're done.  That will allow the story to unfold more organically while you still know where you're going.  You can  go back and edit it later, and if you lose interest in it at that point, no worries, you now have an idea of how you write and how long it will end up.  Most people either write way too long, and need to scale back their stories to get to an acceptable length, or go way too short and end up with a novella.

If you do finish and edit for continuity and just overall quality, that's probably the  point where you want to try and get people to read it and give you feedback.  It's really difficult to accurately judge something you create and spend a ton of your time on, so you'll probably want outside help.

That's good advice, I really appreciate it

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Love this advice and might try it myself.  At least maybe finish a chapter before I start the editing craze :ph34r:xD