The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

MW is such a garbage division overall. if Alex moves up its great for LHW and whoever Izzy fights then will be a stretch or a Knuckles trilogy that likely isnt as exciting as we'd want

I wouldnt blame the UFC for putting Chimaev in the fight because the division is lacking so much whereas I loathe them for giving Colby the WW shot when there are other fresh and active contenders who have been getting Ws v talented fighters

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

MW is such a garbage division overall. if Alex moves up its great for LHW and whoever Izzy fights then will be a stretch or a Knuckles trilogy that likely isnt as exciting as we'd want

I wouldnt blame the UFC for putting Chimaev in the fight because the division is lacking so much whereas I loathe them for giving Colby the WW shot when there are other fresh and active contenders who have been getting Ws v talented fighters

Middleweight in MMA is just the division that nobody wants to be in IMO and it's been that way for a long, long time. It's never had amazing challengers. It's either guys that are too big for the division and cutting weight that's detrimental or smaller dudes trying to come up in weight. It's just such a random middle ground for a lot of these guys. Then again, all the bigger weight classes have been kinda meh for some time. The smaller classes steal the show typically.

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I think we need to see Khamzat in a 5 round fight before we give him to Izzy. Obviously, with someone like him there's no guarantee we ever see it get to those rounds but, had it been 5 with Burns, he's probably losing. 

The thing is - if they book Costa v Chimaev as anticipated, surely that's a 3 rounder, right? It has to be on a PPV and can't headline (surely?). Would they make a 5 round co-main exception? Possibly, but these don't seem like the kind of cardio guys to really do that. So apart from prepping Chimaev for a title shot, as you mentioned, I'm not sure this fight is even the 5 round fight people would want to traditionally see before challenging for a title.

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Middleweight in MMA is just the division that nobody wants to be in IMO and it's been that way for a long, long time. It's never had amazing challengers. It's either guys that are too big for the division and cutting weight that's detrimental or smaller dudes trying to come up in weight. It's just such a random middle ground for a lot of these guys. Then again, all the bigger weight classes have been kinda meh for some time. The smaller classes steal the show typically.

The bigger weight classes have been meh but MW is still far and away worse than HW and LHW and thats if you take away Ngannou and Jiri

22 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The bigger weight classes have been meh but MW is still far and away worse than HW and LHW and thats if you take away Ngannou and Jiri

I mean, is it though? HW is finally on the come up with the emergences of Aspinall and Pavlovich but, for years, it's pretty much been the same dudes at the top with no real up and coming threat. Jones coming back saves that division with Francis leaving. LHW is pretty friggin' meh too. We'll say that Jamahal and Jiri are comparable to Izzy and Knuckles. After that, not including Pereira for either class at this point, its Vettori, Cannonier and Costa (with Khamzat coming soon) vs Jan, Rakic and Anthony Smith. Going further into the top 10s, 6-10 at 185 is Du Plessis, Strickland, Brunson, Dolidze and Hermansson. 205 is Krylov, Walker, Volkan, Craig and Spann.

I mean, are we really going to say definitively that 205 is better off than 185?