The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

155 fight is really interesting, because he's really undersized for LW - he's even short for FW - but stylistically I like him against submission guys like Islam and Olives

Thing is, he's built like a Mac truck and he's long for his height. That combined with his speed could be serious trouble for 155ers. The only issue I have is that he's likely going to stay a points fighter if he goes up since he's not really a huge puncher and he's not a sub guy. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Thing is, he's built like a Mac truck and he's long for his height. That combined with his speed could be serious trouble for 155ers. The only issue I have is that he's likely going to stay a points fighter if he goes up since he's not really a huge puncher and he's not a sub guy. 

only thing I'm afraid of for him, if he fights Olives, is his lack of height makes him vulnerable to being caught in a guillotine from standing.

he survived (just) against Ortega, but guys don't just survive when Oliveiria grabs their neck.

I think him fighting Holloway 3 times has given him a bit of an unfair reputation re: being a pointfighter, though. he's just unlucky Max has a god tier chin. he finished Zombie, and did serious damage to Ortega.

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

only thing I'm afraid of for him, if he fights Olives, is his lack of height makes him vulnerable to being caught in a guillotine from standing.

he survived (just) against Ortega, but guys don't just survive when Oliveiria grabs their neck.

I think him fighting Holloway 3 times has given him a bit of an unfair reputation re: being a pointfighter, though. he's just unlucky Max has a god tier chin. he finished Zombie, and did serious damage to Ortega.

He did that via volume, much like how Holloway gets guys out. I'm not really calling him a points fighter, I'm just saying, going up where his power probably doesn't translate, he's more likely to have to lean on his technical abilities over his natural ones. I don't see him getting guys like Olives, Islam, Poirier, etc out of there with big shots. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He did that via volume, much like how Holloway gets guys out. I'm not really calling him a points fighter, I'm just saying, going up where his power probably doesn't translate, he's more likely to have to lean on his technical abilities over his natural ones. I don't see him getting guys like Olives, Islam, Poirier, etc out of there with big shots. 

yeah fair enough. I just guess the "point fighter" label can be misleading. The meaning should be for what Izzy is right now (ok I admit it). but guys like Volk and Holloway aren't the same, for me. They might not be KO artists, but they do damage, they don't just score points

5 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

yeah fair enough. I just guess the "point fighter" label can be misleading. The meaning should be for what Izzy is right now (ok I admit it). but guys like Volk and Holloway aren't the same, for me. They might not be KO artists, but they do damage, they don't just score points

Of course. At 145, I have no concerns about Volk's ability to end the fight. I just wonder what that extra 10 lbs and fighting bigger guys does for it. We saw that style didn't really work for Holloway when he went up but Poirier is also a huge 155er. 

Think Volk would have to rely on his defensive abilities and speed more than his power.

9 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

How do people have Munhoz winning that first round anyways? All he did was throw checked leg kicks lol...gotta give credit for defense, no? 

O'Malley kinda landed hardly anything that round. I gave it to Munhoz. but second round, O'Malley started taking over

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Of course. At 145, I have no concerns about Volk's ability to end the fight. I just wonder what that extra 10 lbs and fighting bigger guys does for it. We saw that style didn't really work for Holloway when he went up but Poirier is also a huge 155er. 

Think Volk would have to rely on his defensive abilities and speed more than his power.

yeah fair enough, comes down to what I said about him being short even for 145, so really questionable if he can compete at 155. but technically, he's several steps ahead of anyone else in the game

3 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

yeah fair enough, comes down to what I said about him being short even for 145, so really questionable if he can compete at 155. but technically, he's several steps ahead of anyone else in the game

Yeah, I'm not overly worried about him being too short. Might make him harder to hit and he's still got like a 72" reach.

2 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

How do people have Munhoz winning that first round anyways? All he did was throw checked leg kicks lol...gotta give credit for defense, no? 

I dont think you get credit per the rules for defense but I'm not Big John. OMalley threw like 20 strikes the whole first round or something like that....you gotta do something too. As someone that bet on OMalley it was frustrating to see him just let Pedro fire off kicks, regardless of if they were checked

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I wonder if Max/Volk took the time to put the weight on properly and just abandoned 145 if they would be a more formidable LW. It was obvious that Max was pretty much the same guy just heavier