The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

im definitely curious what happens for 300. I wonder if they even bother having Conor on UFC 300, whatever card he is on will do stupid numbers regardless of the rest of the card so they could have him on 299/301 if they wanted but Conor probably wants the clout of 300

He wanted on 200 and they pulled him from the card in an attempt to show who was the boss back during their power struggle before all the Champ-Champ & Mayweather stuff. So I think it will be hard to keep him off of it. It's also likely why he's desperately trying to get in a fight before the end of the year. He wants to get in there before 300 which would probably be in April 24', to get that first post injury/layoff fight out of the way. He only has 2 fights left on his deal, and having his final fight of his current contract be on a century mark card would give him a massive number to show the UFC in negotiations. 

All that said, I'm of the belief that McGregor stopped being a functioning MMA fighter in 2016 and will never win another fight in the UFC or any other organization unless he's fighting some bum. So the UFC should really look hard at who they want to feed McGregor to. It's a no risk way to give some lucky fighter a ton more eyes, hype, and intrigue. 

I think Volk deserves it the most as a consistent and dominant fighter willing to move up weight classes, but they also might want to give a younger fighter the McGregor shine too. Most of the UFC's big names are deep on the wrong side of 30 and they're quickly running out of time to sacrifice the older names to build up that next gen hype.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He wanted on 200 and they pulled him from the card in an attempt to show who was the boss back during their power struggle before all the Champ-Champ & Mayweather stuff. So I think it will be hard to keep him off of it. It's also likely why he's desperately trying to get in a fight before the end of the year. He wants to get in there before 300 which would probably be in April 24', to get that first post injury/layoff fight out of the way. He only has 2 fights left on his deal, and having his final fight of his current contract be on a century mark card would give him a massive number to show the UFC in negotiations. 

All that said, I'm of the belief that McGregor stopped being a functioning MMA fighter in 2016 and will never win another fight in the UFC or any other organization unless he's fighting some bum. So the UFC should really look hard at who they want to feed McGregor to. It's a no risk way to give some lucky fighter a ton more eyes, hype, and intrigue. 

I think Volk deserves it the most as a consistent and dominant fighter willing to move up weight classes, but they also might want to give a younger fighter the McGregor shine too. Most of the UFC's big names are deep on the wrong side of 30 and they're quickly running out of time to sacrifice the older names to build up that next gen hype.

That would "deserves" is irrelevant and you know that though haha 

23 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I think they really wanted Izzy/CostaKhamzat for 300 or potentially Jones/Francis. With both of those fights on ice, I'm not sure what super huge draws they can do without Conor. 

Maybe if Khamzat runs through Costa, they will turn Khamzat around ASAP and might try to have him smush Sean in January and book him vs Izzy for 300? No idea lol.

I love Volk obviously, but I wonder if he's a big enough draw for 300. Also, if they put multiple titles on the line, being a 145er hurts his chances at headlining, I would think.

Edited by Soggust

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I think they really wanted Izzy/Costa for 300 or potentially Jones/Francis. With both of those fights on ice, I'm not sure what super huge draws they can do without Conor. 

Agree. It's going to be a tough route to some super meaningful fight. I think the main event can only be Conor or Jones at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I love Volk obviously, but I wonder if he's a big enough draw for 300. Also, if they put multiple titles on the line, being a 145er hurts his chances at headlining, I would think.

He would probably fight Conor at 155, obviously for no belt, and they'd just bill it as a non title super fight. "Conor vs the P4P King" or something. Volk will destroy him in that scenario and emerge a much bigger star going forward. That's a much better use of the attention McGregor brings than fights against people like Chandler. Feed Conor to your best fighters that need more visibility and your current/future stars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Agree. It's going to be a tough route to some super meaningful fight. I think the main event can only be Conor or Jones at this point. 

He would probably fight Conor at 155, obviously for no belt, and they'd just bill it as a non title super fight. "Conor vs the P4P King" or something. Volk will destroy him in that scenario and emerge a much bigger star going forward. That's a much better use of the attention McGregor brings than fights against people like Chandler. Feed Conor to your best fighters that need more visibility and your current/future stars.

Just realized in your quote that I mistyped Costa for Chimaev whoops.

But to your point, Volk vs Conor actually really could sell well. I totally forgot about that because Volk would probably have to return to rugby weight lol, but that's actually an outside-the-box interesting dark horse for 300 imo.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

I really do think they are going to wait and see if Khamzat gets past Costa before deciding what to do with Strickland next. If Khamzat beats Costa, they'll fast track him and give him Strickland for the belt and we'll get Izzy vs DDP with no belt on the line. It's honestly best case scenario. You get the big name potential champion that they've wanted from the get go if Khamzat dispatches Costa and Strickland while getting the African matchup that Izzy and DDP set up with their spat. Do Whittaker vs Cannonier 2 in the mean-time since Bobby Knucks wants a top 5 guy next. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I really do think they are going to wait and see if Khamzat gets past Costa before deciding what to do with Strickland next. If Khamzat beats Costa, they'll fast track him and give him Strickland for the belt and we'll get Izzy vs DDP with no belt on the line. It's honestly best case scenario. You get the big name potential champion that they've wanted from the get go if Khamzat dispatches Costa and Strickland while getting the African matchup that Izzy and DDP set up with their spat. Do Whittaker vs Cannonier 2 in the mean-time since Bobby Knucks wants a top 5 guy next. 

Yea i wondered if they would do Izzy v DDP at UFC 300