The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

22 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its a weird thought to have I know but he obviously took a ton of crap with the Jorge loss and I dont think it can be any worse for him really. And if he walks away making idk high 7 figures/low 8 figures to take a dive, idk I think he is the type of goofball that just doesnt care what people think he will laugh all the way to the bank...plus if Dana loses $1M on it that'd be funny too

That's a possibility. But I honestly think that Askren will try and drag Paul into the deep waters and win the fight. Just based on the press conference Askren seemed unbothered the entire time and looked like someone that's pretty confident he's going to win. Followed by him pushing Paul's head back and Paul throwing the weakest little push/punch in human history. 

Paul is 2-0 but his opponents have been AnSeion Gibbs who's a professional Fortnite player and Nate Robinson who's a 36 year old former NBA player, both of whom were 5'8" 180 on fight night. Neither guy had any boxing or combat spots experience and Paul also had a huge size advantage against both. Paul's also very inexperienced as a boxer, his fight against Gibbs was over in the 1st round and his fight against Robinson was over in the 2nd round. He has less than 3 rounds of professional boxing under his belt, how will he respond if things don't go his way immediately? 

His only other boxing experience was against Deji in an amateur fight with head gear. And Deji at 5'7" 170 was able to go 5 rounds with Paul. 

Askren's striking is pretty bad but other than the Masvidal knee, he always had a very good chin in MMA getting hit with 4 oz gloves, and he has shown the cardio to last in longer, more strenuous activities such as MMA, submission grappling, and wrestling. I think the biggest difference for Paul will be boxing someone that he doesn't have a huge size advantage over.  

On 3/31/2021 at 6:23 PM, GSUeagles14 said:

Jon Jones wants more than 10 mil guaranteed to fight Ngannu if im understanding correctly. Conversely, jon jones top PPV buy ranks 26th(?) all time for the ufc. I dont think Jon is scared to fight Francis, i just think hes delusional to his worth. People dont like him, but not enough so they want to see him lose, hence why he doesnt sell well. Hes not even the A side of a=the potential Francis fight....

Agree he's demanding too much, 10M seems a bit absurd. Although I think one of the reasons he hasn't sold well over the years is because they always put him against average fighters minus DC. I think Francis vs Jones PPV sells more tickets than any non Conor PPV of all time. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Agree he's demanding too much, 10M seems a bit absurd. Although I think one of the reasons he hasn't sold well over the years is because they always put him against average fighters minus DC. I think Francis vs Jones PPV sells more tickets than any non Conor PPV of all time. 

His fights don't do big PPV numbers because he's constantly getting in trouble outside of the octagon, got caught juicing, and isn't a very likeable guy. And as you said they put him against average competition and he barely does enough to win close decisions. His last three fights against Reyes, Santos, and Smith were boring. And since the DC TKO was overturned he only has 1 finish in his last 8 fights since 2013. 

The UFC has had 17 PPV's that have done 1M+ buys. 7 of those cards were headlined by Conor McGregor, 3 of those cards were headlined by Brock Lesnar, and 2 of those cards were headlined by Ronda Rousey. 

The only other 5 to do 1M+ buys were Masvidal/Usman, UFC 200 (Lesnar was the co-main), UFC 100 (Lesnar was the co-main), Rashad Evans/Rampage Jackson after their crazy season on TUF, Weidman/Silva 2, and Rashad Evans/Forest Griffin. 

So there have only been 4 cards in UFC history to do 1M+ buys without McGregor, Lesnar, or Rousey in the main/co-main event. And there have only been two cards in the last decade to do 1M+ buys without one of those 3 on the card and it was Usman/Masvidal and Silva/Weidman 2. 

I think it would definitely crack 1M+ but Jones fights haven't sold well for a while now. The official numbers for the last card aren't out yet but Francis vs Stipe 1 only did like 300k buys. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His fights don't do big PPV numbers because he's constantly getting in trouble outside of the octagon, got caught juicing, and isn't a very likeable guy. And as you said they put him against average competition and he barely does enough to win close decisions. His last three fights against Reyes, Santos, and Smith were boring. And since the DC TKO was overturned he only has 1 finish in his last 8 fights since 2013. 

The UFC has had 17 PPV's that have done 1M+ buys. 7 of those cards were headlined by Conor McGregor, 3 of those cards were headlined by Brock Lesnar, and 2 of those cards were headlined by Ronda Rousey. 

The only other 5 to do 1M+ buys were Masvidal/Usman, UFC 200 (Lesnar was the co-main), UFC 100 (Lesnar was the co-main), Rashad Evans/Rampage Jackson after their crazy season on TUF, Weidman/Silva 2, and Rashad Evans/Forest Griffin. 

So there have only been 4 cards in UFC history to do 1M+ buys without McGregor, Lesnar, or Rousey in the main/co-main event. And there have only been two cards in the last decade to do 1M+ buys without one of those 3 on the card and it was Usman/Masvidal and Silva/Weidman 2. 

I think it would definitely crack 1M+ but Jones fights haven't sold well for a while now. The official numbers for the last card aren't out yet but Francis vs Stipe 1 only did like 300k buys. 

I think if marketed well enough, and given enough time, Jones vs Francis could do about 1.6M buys. Is that worth giving Jones 10M? Probably not. But this PPV would sell extremely well. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I think if marketed well enough, and given enough time, Jones vs Francis could do about 1.6M buys. Is that worth giving Jones 10M? Probably not. But this PPV would sell extremely well. 

Jon Jones has headlined 15 PPV's and they average buy rate is 520k with his highest selling PPV being DC 2 which solid 860k. 

Francis and Jones last 4 headlining fights combined sold 1.5M PPV. There have only been 8 cards in history to do 1.2M+ buys and 7 of them were Conor fights with the only exception being Masvidal/Usman. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Jon Jones has headlined 15 PPV's and they average buy rate is 520k with his highest selling PPV being DC 2 which solid 860k. 

Francis and Jones last 4 headlining fights combined sold 1.5M PPV. There have only been 8 cards in history to do 1.2M+ buys and 7 of them were Conor fights with the only exception being Masvidal/Usman. 

Yes but the combination of Francis vs Jones would draw. They are both each other’s greatest opponent, and Francis is a natural face and Jones is a natural heel if you want to go by wrestling terns. Compared to DC who is pretty boring and pretty unlikable himself. 

Trust me, it’d sell very well. Francis, possibly heading towards being one of the best ever, vs arguably the greatest fighter ever in Jones, would be must-see TV.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Yes but the combination of Francis vs Jones would draw. They are both each other’s greatest opponent, and Francis is a natural face and Jones is a natural heel if you want to go by wrestling terns. Compared to DC who is pretty boring and pretty unlikable himself. 

Trust me, it’d sell very well. Francis, possibly heading towards being one of the best ever, vs arguably the greatest fighter ever in Jones, would be must-see TV.

I definitely think that it'd do 1M+ buys but Jon Jones asking for a $50M payday isn't going to happen. And the UFC has already moved on so we'll likely never see it.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I definitely think that it'd do 1M+ buys but Jon Jones asking for a $50M payday isn't going to happen. And the UFC has already moved on so we'll likely never see it.

Shame if we never do. I’d rather see Jones vs Israel anyways, much better fight on paper. I think Francis is way too big for Jon and would kill him in R2 or so. Jones and Izzy are very similar fighters. Although the problem is they are both not very likable and that fight wouldn’t sell well. 

Edited by BayRaider

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303