The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

4 hours ago, jetjuice said:

It's not a stupid question, it's valid. Burns didn't really get to put his BJJ on Khamzat but it did help in certain sequences from a defensive standpoint in that first round, so Khamzat got discouraged (and/or tired) and decided to slug it out. Burns also has great wrestling and takedown D which I think was more on display and more similar to how Colby fights. 

The thing about Khamzat is that he's not a dumb fighter, he's actually quite smart in the octagon. He knows what his path of least resistance is and if there's any clear advantage in this fight, it's most likely Khamzat's striking. If Usman wasn't able to take Colby down in 10 rounds, I don't see Khamzat faring much better.

Usman shot 1 TD and got it…but that was it, so its not like he went 0-11 like Colby did in the 2nd fight

So we arent even sure if he cant be taken down by a high level wrestler since Usman attempted just 1 and to his credit he got it

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Stupid question and I know I sound like a Chimaev nut-hugger but are we so sure he won't just take Colby down and smesh? I mean Colby offers no BJJ threat that Burns did

Colby will theoretically scramble much better and more naturally than Holland, e.g., as a lifelong wrestler and his spacing, clinch and sprawl should all make it a tough night at the least for Chimaev. I do think Chimaev can and will eventually get him down, but its going to take a lot more work than these squash matches have and if he can't find a finish early or keep him down, the cardio might become an issue imo. 

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I mean..what a stretch to think that Khabib might counsel Khamzat seeing as how they were both managed by the same guy, are both Daegestani, and are both Muslim (cue the eye roll)

I get that they haven't been on the same page, but I'm pretty sure I read that Abdeleez has said the Chimaev considers Khabib like an older brother.

Khabib went about his business like Stipe....no talking nonsense, no dumb ish...but that doesn't get you paid unfortunately.  Pardon me for thinking that Chimaev is taking the opposite approach to get that Mcgregor like heel money.

The part that I got wrong is that Khabib would have advised him to do so.....

The clown show has been your previous comments in this thread....

Lol my guy, I almost didn't want to dignify this with a response but I can't let this one slide because someone is going to read that BS and believe it.

First off, Khamzat is NOT Dagestani, he is Chechen. Distinct difference that you should look into, I won't discuss that on here.

Second, they had a falling out which led to Ali releasing Khamzat from his roster. Ask yourself how serious that had to have been for him to cut one of the most promising prospects in UFC history. This rift dated all the way back to 2018 (re: conflict with Artem Lobov, who is part of - you guessed it - Conor's team), well before Khamzat was even in the UFC. Peep this article for further details.

Third, Khabib is literally ½ of what was by far highest selling UFC PPV event ever. Look at his career earnings and net worth and tell me with a straight face that he doesn't know how to sell a fight without becoming the heel. He's only the second highest paid fighter in UFC history behind Conor... and to take it one step further, the current biggest draw in the UFC is Israel Adesanya, so no, you don't need to go full heel to sell a fight.

In conclusion, yes, it's a complete stretch to think that Khabib "might counsel" Khamzat. The only thing you were right about is the bolded. The basis upon which you came to that conclusion is delusional. 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Usman shot 1 TD and got it…but that was it, so its not like he went 0-11 like Colby did in the 2nd fight

So we arent even sure if he cant be taken down by a high level wrestler since Usman attempted just 1 and to his credit he got it

You're right, I stand corrected, he did get a takedown in round 1 of the second fight, although Colby sort of overextended himself right into the shot. Usman wasn't able to keep him down though and that was it for the fight. I'd say that speaks to Colby's ability to get up, but if he makes that same mistake against Khamzat it could be an issue.

I'm not saying Colby can or cannot hang with Khamzat in the wrestling department, all I meant was I think Khamzat will know he has a clear advantage in the striking and I'd expect him to try and put Colby's lights out rather than do what he did to Holland.

56 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Colby will theoretically scramble much better and more naturally than Holland, e.g., as a lifelong wrestler and his spacing, clinch and sprawl should all make it a tough night at the least for Chimaev. I do think Chimaev can and will eventually get him down, but its going to take a lot more work than these squash matches have and if he can't find a finish early or keep him down, the cardio might become an issue imo. 

Pretty well said. I think if Khamzat can't find a way to get him down by the end of round 1 that he will abandon the wrestling like he did against Burns. I think whether this fight is three or five rounds is gonna be what has the most significant impact on the outcome of this fight.

8 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I'm not the one crying about someone calling out my ice-cold take, I'm just trying to educate you my guy. I have zero emotional attachment to this discussion but it's clearly upsetting you so I'll let it go. 

Do I get what you're saying? Yes, he showed a few new things, but minor improvements that ultimately still result in the same outcome as guys like Li Jingliang and Rhys Phillips is A) not great by any means, and B) shows that Holland still has a LOT of work to do in the grappling department. Khamzat out here exposing fake black belts.

I think more can be attributed to the fact that Holland is now fighting in his proper weight class compared to when he got laid on by Brunson & others, and the way this one played out was basically a sprint to the finish from the opening seconds of the fight. Both guys had much more explosiveness in their gas tank to start off as intense as they did which I think had more to do with how Holland was able to "defend," but at the end of the day he got put back down immediately after getting to his feet (he's the longer fighter so he should be able to get up easier), got taken down three times in 20 seconds, and landed zero strikes. The bout ended with DC explaining how Chimaev did that because he had no respect for Holland's wrestling (rightfully so) and that it looked like the equivalent of DC shooting on Dana White. Listen to the champ champ.

I'll say this much, your take isn't nearly as wild as the guy a few pages back who tried suggesting that Khabib (of all people lol) is the one telling Khamzat to play the heel to sell the fights. Khabib and Khamzat have zero affiliation and don't exactly get along. That one deserved a couple of these 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

Once again.  I’m thinking you’re the one crying and getting way too invested in someone’s comment.  I’ve genuinely laughed during this exchange.  Sounds like you have also.  So let’s make that null and void and agree to disagree on who was crying.  Or just agree?  Or disagree?  Either way it’s fine with me.  We’ve probably both have made fun of each other in our heads doing  the exact same thing sounds like.  

Your retort seems to stem from what I would consider an innocuous comment immediately after the fights. 

And I quote “The athletic difference alone would be absolutely staggering” in reference to Khamzat vs Nate.  I doubt you’d disagree with that.  The next sentence seems to get your panties in a bunch (sorry, couldn’t help myself)

”Holland was actually doing a”.  Now let’s replace the word “great” with something else.  “Holland was actually doing better than I thought relatively speaking and couldn’t keep up with Khamzat”

Is it that far off base that I thought so little of Holland in this match that I can be a bit surprised he did better than expected?   

When you think something/someone/some team is so awful at one certain aspect you get slightly surprised when it’s not 100% the way you thought?  In the case of Holland just 90%.  Once again I agree it was total domination and that can’t be refuted.  

Think of it this way.  I’m a Steelers fan. Our offensive line it’s absolutely atrocious.  Especially getting push in the run game.  Our backs get hit in the back field way more often than they should. So when the oline gets even a little push for a 3 year gain I think to myself…… wow.  I’m surprised they did that well.  

This wasn’t heaping praise on Holland, even though I do like him as a fighter.

Oh and no need to educate.  I’m doing well enough myself guy but thanks for the course offer. 

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

You're right, I stand corrected, he did get a takedown in round 1 of the second fight, although Colby sort of overextended himself right into the shot. Usman wasn't able to keep him down though and that was it for the fight. I'd say that speaks to Colby's ability to get up, but if he makes that same mistake against Khamzat it could be an issue.

I'm not saying Colby can or cannot hang with Khamzat in the wrestling department, all I meant was I think Khamzat will know he has a clear advantage in the striking and I'd expect him to try and put Colby's lights out rather than do what he did to Holland.

It was it for the fight I’m just saying Usman is 1-1 for TDs. The sample is too small to assume he can stop so many and maintain good position long enough to zap his cardio

21 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

It was it for the fight I’m just saying Usman is 1-1 for TDs. The sample is too small to assume he can stop so many and maintain good position long enough to zap his cardio

I had to go back and rewatch that takedown to remember it. 

The good news: Covington pops back up almost instantly.

The bad news: If Covington rushes in wildly like this, Khamzat will be changing levels ALL DAY long.

Timestamped

I hate it when size is an argument for who has the wrestling advantage when both fighters are elite wrestlers in their divisions. Wrestled all 4 years of college and many were much stronger/bigger than me. Didn't necessarily mean that they won.

if it became a scrambling contest, Colby would win on pure wrestling cardio. If he gets Colby down and keeps him down, forget about it.

but Colby could easily get him down too. He got Usman down.

On 9/21/2022 at 9:23 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Did he officially get a TD?

I get that technique matters but his size/strength only helps him too though. 

It wasn't official but DC, whom I loathe with a burning passion, agreed and said he scored a takedown and wasn't "credited" with it. Because like Colby did, Usman got up in like 5 seconds 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

On 9/20/2022 at 6:21 PM, jetjuice said:

Lol my guy, I almost didn't want to dignify this with a response but I can't let this one slide because someone is going to read that BS and believe it.

First off, Khamzat is NOT Dagestani, he is Chechen. Distinct difference that you should look into, I won't discuss that on here.

Second, they had a falling out which led to Ali releasing Khamzat from his roster. Ask yourself how serious that had to have been for him to cut one of the most promising prospects in UFC history. This rift dated all the way back to 2018 (re: conflict with Artem Lobov, who is part of - you guessed it - Conor's team), well before Khamzat was even in the UFC. Peep this article for further details.

Third, Khabib is literally ½ of what was by far highest selling UFC PPV event ever. Look at his career earnings and net worth and tell me with a straight face that he doesn't know how to sell a fight without becoming the heel. He's only the second highest paid fighter in UFC history behind Conor... and to take it one step further, the current biggest draw in the UFC is Israel Adesanya, so no, you don't need to go full heel to sell a fight.

In conclusion, yes, it's a complete stretch to think that Khabib "might counsel" Khamzat. The only thing you were right about is the bolded. The basis upon which you came to that conclusion is delusional. 

Still, he didn’t want to offend Khabib. He says he loves The Eagle and feels a connection with him due to their backgrounds and beliefs.

“This guy, I looked up to him in the beginning and I still look up to him because he became a champ and he’s one of the best fighters in the world,” Chimaev said.

“People think I hate him, but I love him because he’s Muslim. I’m Muslim. 

“It’s like the same, like he comes from some village like me, same country. Small republic like Chechnya, Dagestan, like this is still the same. I have a lot of brothers from Dagestan, and yeah, I’m Muslim, he’s Muslim – alhamdulillah.”

From Abdeleez

“Khabib is like an older brother to him. We all have this kind of ranking among us. And he come out, and he right the wrong, and what he gonna say about the guy? He put his ego to the side, and he apologized, and apology’s accepted.”

This is from a year ago....i mean recently things have been more strained again...but...you are wayyyyyy too dismissive...my guy...

Lots of "know it alls" on here though.....kinda get used to it

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303