NFL to try new onside kick rule for pro bowl

Manny/Patrick

24 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Also, what happens if the team attempting the 4th and 15 scores?

Basically a team can elect for a free Hail-Mary/ pitch and lateral play to end a game where they originally would have had to work to regain possession. Just silly.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

On 1/24/2020 at 1:05 PM, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

If you’re down multiple scores with 2 minutes left it should be horrible odds to get the ball back. If it’s any easier an offense will go right back out against an exhausted defence.

why should a team play like hot garbage for 58 minutes deserve a reprieve that makes it easier to fluke their way into a victory? Making the onside kick anything more than a snowballs chance in hell is pretty dumb imo. You had 58 minutes to keep the score close and couldn’t. Boohoo that it’s hard to steal one with next to no time left. Be better.

Football is a turn based strategy game, not a wacky silly rooty tooty participant-ribbon “lets give the losers an easier time” extravaganza. 

It just occurred to me, this is like Mario Kart with wacky weapons given to people racing at the back of the pack to try to add ~~randomness~~ to the game.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, checkcola said:

It just occurred to me, this is like Mario Kart with wacky weapons given to people racing at the back of the pack to try to add ~~randomness~~ to the game.  

yeah if you are leading you always get mushrooms and green turtles

back of the pack you get the good stuff

The moment a team gets screwed by a DPI over this rule people are going to go ballistic. It could even be a legitimate DPI. It won't stop people from going absolutely nuclear on the refs. Or even worse, a really high profile game that involves multiples of these and they all involve a DPI or Illegal Contact of some kind, leading to a big chokejob. It's going to be an absolute firestorm of a situation.

This situation obviously isn't going to happen very often, before you accuse me of fearmongering. It doesn't have to happen often. It only has to happen once before all hell breaks loose with the officiating (again). People already think refs are the devil, so it's not going to get any prettier with a rule like this in place. Now I will say, in a vacuum specifically - there would be nothing wrong with this change. I'd welcome it. But how it intersects with DPI and Illegal Contact is going to really infuriate most NFL fans once it's in place.