Chiefs Oline vs. 49'ers

mayanfootball

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Fisher did well enough on Bosa. The IOL had their hands full, so Fish didn't get much help except for RB and TE chips. The unsung hero is Schwartz who swallowed up Dee Ford and Arik Armstead the whole game.

J

Best RT in the league. The Ford trade, and subsequent acquisition of Clark, is looking better and better.

10 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Fisher did well enough on Bosa. The IOL had their hands full, so Fish didn't get much help except for RB and TE chips. The unsung hero is Schwartz who swallowed up Dee Ford and Arik Armstead the whole game.

J

Yes, Schwartz did his job fine.

Is Bosa that good (yes) or is Fisher not that good (yes). Some of both. Really, for the 1st. OT in the draft, Fisher isn't living up to the draft position. It's not just Bosa. Remember the holding call against Fisher in the previous playoff game against Pittsburgh?

The Chiefs own an athletically gifted QB who can escape pressure. Without this and scheming for deeper drop-backs, the 49er pressure would have been too much. KC needs to at least add at LOT, LOG and maybe OC from the draft and FA.

The presence of Mahomes demands it.

Edited by mayanfootball

Fisher is very good with speed rushers like Ford. Bosa is a power guy, very sudden. According to FBO, we had the 3rd best pass pro line in the league, even with Wiley out and Fisher hurt as much as he was.

Drafting an OT is a fine idea, just don't reach for one. Drafting an IOL is a fine idea, but don't reach. We are in a position where we have to get value for our picks. 

J

Fisher is serviceable.  Bosa is a beast, and overall I thought Fisher did a nice job on him.  Do we need to add a tackle in the draft - yea possibly.  I wrote earlier that if Tyler Biadasz is available at pick 32 I would take him.  He is a rock in pass protection and a mauler in the run game, and would make our entire offensive line better.

2 hours ago, KCsb said:

Fisher is serviceable.  Bosa is a beast, and overall I thought Fisher did a nice job on him.  Do we need to add a tackle in the draft - yea possibly.  I wrote earlier that if Tyler Biadasz is available at pick 32 I would take him.  He is a rock in pass protection and a mauler in the run game, and would make our entire offensive line better.

We do not need or want a mauler on our OL. We want athletic and mobile. Also, Reiter has gotten good while no one was looking. 

I keep coming back to the fact that on the 3rd and 15 Wasp play, Mahomes spent four whole seconds in the pocket before releasing the ball. That's an eternity against a good pass rush. Yes, the 49ers were getting tired, but that says something as well.

In retrospect, how much did the seven minute TD drive in the first half effect the rush in the 4th quarter?

J

2 hours ago, KCsb said:

I wrote earlier that if Tyler Biadasz is available at pick 32 I would take him.  He is a rock in pass protection and a mauler in the run game, and would make our entire offensive line better.

I'd rather take Lloyd Cushenberry/LSU. He might be a little more dynamic in the run game.

Honestly, I was incredibly surprised how the trench battle turned out. For awhile we've had a good to very good pass blocking OL, and a really subpar run blocking OL. Which made it interesting that we got owned by their pass rush, but somehow dominated the LOS on the run game. Because I thought all guys won consistently when we ran the ball. Fisher's best blocks on Bosa came on run plays. The best work Wis/Reiter/LDT did was in the run game as well. In pass pro I was really only impressed with Schwartz though. Schwartz owned Ford. Granted, Ford is the much easier guy to block than Bosa. I think Fisher would've fared far better were he blocking Ford regularly, instead of blocking Bosa regularly.

But I think we know who Fisher is. He is a very solid LT. He is the epitome of good enough, but not great. On one hand I think he's overpaid for what he is, but on the other, that's a position where a guy who sucks can really kill an offense (and a QB, for that matter.) So I'd rather have him than not, still. But he's absolutely a guy who will own bad rushers, he'll win most battles against okay to good rushers, and then he'll get destroyed a game or two a year when he goes up against a truly elite edge rusher. Just happened to be in the superbowl.

I really would rather upgrade the interior, though. I think there is more room to improve over Reither or Wylie than there is over Fisher. If you replace Fisher I think there's more of a financial justification than a quality of play justification. Fisher becomes quite cuttable in a year, and that could help with if we choose to keep Jones, and when we inevitably pay Mahomes. Could make sense to draft that replacement this year and be ready to move on next.

• Like 1

Not just edge rushers. Fisher owns the speed guys and the guys that are all technique. To beat him consistently, you need to explode on him, and that's the Bosa brothers. I'm truly glad we play SD twice a year, because Joey was practice for Nick. There is no need to upgrade the OT, but it is time to look for eventual replacements. 

The interior keeps getting hurt. We have Wisniewski because Wiley went down. LDT had one of his healthier seasons. Rieter has not been a problem, but C has been. I would like another body for that reason. If we can get a you Wis clone in the 3rd round, do it. 

J