Week 3: Buccaneers (1-0) at VIKINGS (1-1)

swede700

Just now, Freakish Mind said:

Is this all from Steelking in one week?

lol. no, not all, but more than five of them are from him.

plus there were others i left out because they were just repetitions. lol

i think this one is my favorite, which is from someone else:

I have no faith in Keenum. If we win, it will be in spite of him, not because of him. 

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Haha, that'd be impressive!

Still think going forward if we're gonna make the playoffs we need a starting QB to do that. Keenum is a fine backup but that's it.

If anything, I have a little more faith in my backup going forward.  It won't be so disheartening if Bradford has to sit out a game again.  

MMQB'ing on Sunday Night.

The slew of pessimistic outlooks on this game was reasonable in light of Keenum's performance last week.

What many failed to account for in their early-week, mid-week, and late-in-the-week projections were the multiple injuries to TB's defensive starters.  Perhaps that was reasonable, until late in the week, as no one knew for sure if the scratched players would play or not until yesterday/ game time.

How well would any Viking fan feel about any particular game if two DL, and one MLB were out?; e.g. Joseph, Griffen, and Kendricks.

IIRC, one starting OL for TB was out, but I didn't follow the details of the game to know if that impacted the pressure the Vikings D put on Winston.

Things change.  Thus, today's (mildly?) surprising outcome.

2 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

If anything, I have a little more faith in my backup going forward.  It won't be so disheartening if Bradford has to sit out a game again.  

Bad game followed by a great game.  Jekyll & Hyde.  Which is the real Keenum?  The answer partly lies in the difference in the defenses he faced.

Reply to both Klomp and vikingsrule in a single post:

@Klomp: agreed.  The overly pessimistic attitude dismissed the hostile environment last week, and partly discredited the favorable home environment.

@vikingsrule: I couldn't keep up with the injuries; I only glanced at 'something' listing the TB injuries, but can't remember if it was an official list in a link, or just someone's post on another NFL fans website.  mea culpa for not counting all the injuries...

8 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Bad game followed by a great game.  Jekyll & Hyde.  Which is the real Keenum?  The answer partly lies in the difference in the defenses he faced.

1st game as a Viking could have butterflies.   2nd game as a Viking and starts looking a little more comfortable back there.   Not saying it's going to keep getting better then this as this will probably be his best performance ever.   But I'm definitely more comfortable with him back there now then I was a week ago.

16 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

Certainly. Its just unreasonable to think Keenum can sustain this success, no?

I don't think he'll be as bad as he was in week 2 or as good week 3.

I think we have a shot with him next week, but I'd rather see Bradford come back.

Elflein played fine I thought minus the one time he let McCoy go on a screen and McKinnon got blown up.

Just now, Freakish Mind said:

1st game as a Viking could have butterflies.   2nd game as a Viking and starts looking a little more comfortable back there.   Not saying it's going to keep getting better then this as this will probably be his best performance ever.   But I'm definitely more comfortable with him back there now then I was a week ago.

Yes, it would be hard to top this day's performance.... 142. something, IIRC.  IIRC, 158 is the max QBR. 

Many things contributed to the poor performance by Keenum last week, and good day today.  The OL mismatches, favorable and unfavorable, against the opposing front 7 also is a potential factor for pressure vs. leisure time in the pocket.  Uncertainty about Bradford starting last week vs. not starting could have led to fewer reps and less attention by the OC for Keenum last week.  We could go on listing other factors impacting the results.  I won't, but may react to other points made by those more astute about football than I.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Certainly. Its just unreasonable to think Keenum can sustain this success, no?

I don't think he'll be as bad as he was in week 2 or as good week 3.

I think we have a shot with him next week, but I'd rather see Bradford come back.

Well sure, he's probably not going to turn into Aaron Rodgers overnight.

However, he's not as bad as people think. I think everyone thinks about his performance on a BAD Houston team in 2013. Seeing the Pittsburgh game provided a glimpse of that. However, since then, he started 16 games over the next 3 seasons and went 9-7 with a completion percentage of 60.5%. Averaged just under 200 ypg with about 1 TD and 1 INT per game. Not great numbers, but remember those were on an average Houston team (2-0; 7-7 when he didn't start), bad St Louis team (3-2; 4-7 when he didn't start), and a bad Los Angeles team (4-5; 0-7 when he didn't start).

This is probably the most talent he's played with, and he showed today (and in preseason) that he's a competent option.

Another thing to remember is the difference between him and our other backup QB options we've had under Zimmer: he's only 29 years old. Not 35-36 like Shaun Hill. Not 32 like Matt Cassel.

Honestly, if I had to compare him to another QB situationally, it'd be someone like Trevor Siemian. Not the best QB, but won't make a catastrophic mess. Will do enough in the passing game for a team that's built around running the ball and playing stout defense.

Archived