2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Linebackers

KC_Guy

On 5/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, Chiefer said:

Gay looks like he needs a lot of development. Very athletic though so House/Reid Jr. have a lot to work with there. Just Raw as Sushi.

I don’t think he sniffs the field outside of obvious passing plays and special teams to start out. And I don’t think he ever becomes a MLB. Good WLB or SLB I hope.

Hitchens/Niemann/Wilson is solid enough with our three great Nose Tackles up front.

On one hand this is the perfect year for us to redshirt a player. On the other hand there were a number of players available who could be much better right away and long term. Hopefully the pick works out. Would love to have an elite linebacker in KC.

17 hours ago, Kirill said:

On one hand this is the perfect year for us to redshirt a player. On the other hand there were a number of players available who could be much better right away and long term. Hopefully the pick works out. Would love to have an elite linebacker in KC.

He loves to Blitz so I’m sure Spags will find room for him somewhere.

11 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He loves to Blitz so I’m sure Spags will find room for him somewhere.

This is where I see him making an impact year 1.   Less reading involved, just attacking.  Great abilities, but he needs a ton of work with play/route recognition before he really shines there. 

• 4 weeks later...

As much as i like Gay showing promise from the start, another good thing from camp is the play of Ben Niemann. Last year he was mostly a ST tackler, but he had a very nice run in the playoffs and appears to have extended that through camp. Wilson is reliable but somewhat limited. Hitch has mobility deficit. Even with Gay emerging as a possible frontliner, there is room for Niemann's role to grow. 

J

• Like 3

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

As much as i like Gay showing promise from the start, another good thing from camp is the play of Ben Niemann. Last year he was mostly a ST tackler, but he had a very nice run in the playoffs and appears to have extended that through camp. Wilson is reliable but somewhat limited. Hitch has mobility deficit. Even with Gay emerging as a possible frontliner, there is room for Niemann's role to grow. 

J

Word is Niemann gained some strength in the offseason. Was his biggest weakness.

I see Niemann and Gay switching roles between SLB/WLB with Niemann getting some run at MLB as well. 

from the clips I saw Gay was looking great in coverage. That’ll be huge, against good TEs like Kittle. 

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

That makes sense, because the MLB calls the signals.

I actually saw a draft magazine that rated Gay a liability in coverage. 😣

J

Everybody said Mahomes was a turnover machine too lol. Draft guys never can get things right all the time.

9 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Everybody said Mahomes was a turnover machine too lol. Draft guys never can get things right all the time.

Word. They are herd animals. If someone leads, others follow, but they don't like to lead. 

More on Niemann. This time it's Matt House, who is notoriously tight lipped. However, it's clear he views Niemann as at least the #2 MLB. How that translates to playing time is unclear.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/8/28/21404969/matt-house-on-starting-linebackers-backup-mike-and-ben-niemann

J

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Word. They are herd animals. If someone leads, others follow, but they don't like to lead. 

More on Niemann. This time it's Matt House, who is notoriously tight lipped. However, it's clear he views Niemann as at least the #2 MLB. How that translates to playing time is unclear.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/8/28/21404969/matt-house-on-starting-linebackers-backup-mike-and-ben-niemann

J

It seems like Wilson is starting at BUCK(According to Gay, House said it’s up in the air), and Gay/Niemann/Wilson fighting solidly for minutes at Will/SaM.

Hitch is the Mike most definitely, Niemann just behind. Should be some solid playing time coming for all those guys I’m thinking. Nice rotation, especially once Spags figures out how to use all of them.

Edited by Chiefer

Not quite. Niemann has emerged as the backup Mike. That could be a few snaps, or quite a few. One thing House talked about is Niemann's confidence. he had 20 snaps in a Super Bowl, including a highlight play. Add some strength and conditioning and he may be ready for prime time. 

J

That would be the highlight play I mentioned.

What's interesting is the way he decoys Garoppolo. He did it by jumping up and down pre-snap. When he vacated the position for the blitz, leaving Kittle wide open, but JG has it in his head that the zone is covered. 

J

Another article on praise for Niemann. This time from the DC himself. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/8/31/21409308/steve-spagnuolo-becomes-latest-chiefs-coach-to-praise-ben-niemann

What's interesting is that he raised Hitch as a comparison. Hitchens is a smart player, stable, reliable, just not real athletic. This may be the indication that a changing of the guard is coming. While it mat not yet be under weigh, at least the circumstances are prepared.

J