Bengals sign DT DJ Reader (4 years, $53 M)

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

I should follow the rest of the NFL more. Who is this guy?

One of the better young nose tackle in the NFL. Mammoth versus the run, and can push the pocket too. Think Javon Hargrave.

Big for our lack of run defense. He will naturally make our LBs better by requiring more attention at the point of attack.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

He's a good run stopper. But 2 down DTs aren't worth 13 mil a year. Let's see what Billings, Pierce, Hargrave, Harrison, etc get. Bet none of them gets 13 mil per.

Yeah he’s not gonna be a 2 down player. He gonna be our base 3-4 nose, same with nickel. He’s shown he’s a decent pass rusher as well. They are trying to conserve Geno. 

He's by no means a decent pass rusher. Houston usually took him off the field in passing situations and he has less than 10 career sacks, playing next to JJ Watt.

In the TCMD mock offseason Reader got about that much but I signed Shelton for 6 mil and spent the money saved at LB. 

24 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

He's by no means a decent pass rusher. Houston usually took him off the field in passing situations and he has less than 10 career sacks, playing next to JJ Watt.

In the TCMD mock offseason Reader got about that much but I signed Shelton for 6 mil and spent the money saved at LB. 

I'm the hour that I've known anything about this guy, I did stumble across this: 

Yes, they took him off the field a lot (57% snaps), but his metrics are good. He can do it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

He's a good run stopper. But 2 down DTs aren't worth 13 mil a year. Let's see what Billings, Pierce, Hargrave, Harrison, etc get. Bet none of them gets 13 mil per.

Hargrave just signed a 3-year/$39 million dollar deal with $26 million guaranteed...

Those other names aren't near the value of Reader or Hargrave. So no, they aren't getting $13 per year.

41 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

What his pressure rate. To me that’s more important than sacks