The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

19 hours ago, oldman9er said:

- assuming 4 QBs are off the board before #13 (not that I see Washington selecting one in rd 1 anyway)

- assuming off the board :

Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Orlando Brown, Derwin James, Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey, and Denzel Ward

What would be your top choice (or even top 5) for # 13 overall ? 

I don’t think Barkley or Chub will be on the board either.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick 

2. Calvin Ridley

3. Da’Ron Payne

4. RaQuon Smith

5. Denzel Ward

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude he said Fitzpatrick is off the board.

My bad. Lol

Oops, I was confused on how he phrased the question. I see now, even Denzel Ward is off the board so that’s two of my choices.

So, let’s try this again:

1. Calvin Ridley

2. DaRon Payne

3. Raquan Smith

4. Cameron Sutton

5. Josh Jackson

^ I'd be happy with Ridley, for sure. 

Not sure Payne does enough as a 3 down player to warrant the choice of #13.. but of course it would be great to instantly turn a poor run D into a good one. Either top LB of Edmunds or Smith would be a win, imo. I'm still good with Guice too. 

I'm not sold on Davenport or Sutton at that spot. 

9 hours ago, oldman9er said:

^ I'd be happy with Ridley, for sure. 

Not sure Payne does enough as a 3 down player to warrant the choice of #13.. but of course it would be great to instantly turn a poor run D into a good one. Either top LB of Edmunds or Smith would be a win, imo. I'm still good with Guice too. 

I'm not sold on Davenport or Sutton at that spot. 

If we’re not taking Payne then we might as well not go DL in round 1.

I understand your point you made earlier w/ the Redskins DL rotation and how often they use two DL who are near or over 300 pounds & 4 man fronts vs how often the Redskins defense uses a three DL who are near or over 300 pounds, I’ve made the same point for 4 or 5 years.

Here is the problem. The biggest issue the Redskins defense has had for 7 of the last 8 years on defense is our run defense. That problem starts with the inability to stop the opposing teams running game on first downs. I’m not sure how many years this has happened, but it’s almost every year of those 7 years that the Redskins defense has given up well over 4 yards a carry on first down and I think the last 2 or 3 years they’ve given up over 5 ypc on first downs. They also can’t stop offenses on 3rd or 4 th and short or in their goal line defense. If the defense is giving up 4 or more yards a carry on first downs, it’s a huge problem as opposing offenses then have two downs to pick up 6 or less yards.

So, while I get the sentiment that the Redskins shouldn’t take a DL who’s a 2 down player in round 1. I’m sitting here telling you that they need to do something at NT to greatly upgrade the position because it’s been a huge problem for every year of this decade except 2011 when Bowen, Carriker and Cofield were all healthy.

So, for me, and I think every other Redskins fan I know whether it be in our personal life, on here, other boards or on social media; taking a NT like Payne or Vea with our #1 pick would be absolutely loved by this fan base. And if you’ve watched every snap of our run defense this entire decade, you’d know.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I understand your point you made earlier w/ the Redskins DL rotation and how often they use two DL who are near or over 300 pounds & 4 man fronts vs how often the Redskins defense uses a three DL who are near or over 300 pounds.

Here is the problem. The biggest issue the Redskins defense has had for 7 of the last 8 years on defense is our run defense. That problem starts with the inability to stop the opposing teams running game on first downs. I’m not sure how many years this has happened, but it’s almost every year of those 7 years that the Redskins defense has given up over 4 yards a carry on first down. If the defense is giving up 4 or more yards a carry on first downs, it’s a huge problem as opposing offenses then have two downs to pick up 6 or less yards.

So, while I get the sentiment that the Redskins shouldn’t take a DL who’s a 2 down player in round 1. I’m sitting here telling you that they need to do something at NT to greatly upgrade the position because it’s been a huge problem for every year of this decade except 2011 when Bowen, Carriker and Cofield were all healthy.

So, for me, and I think every other Redskins fan I know whether it be in our personal life, on here, other boards or on social media; taking a NT like Payne or Vea with our #1 pick would be absolutely loved by this fan base. And if you’ve watched every snap of our run defense this entire decade, you’d know know.

Alright cool. Valuable info and strong perspective to me, as we look ahead. (seriously) winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I understand your point you made earlier w/ the Redskins DL rotation and how often they use two DL who are near or over 300 pounds & 4 man fronts vs how often the Redskins defense uses a three DL who are near or over 300 pounds.

Here is the problem. The biggest issue the Redskins defense has had for 7 of the last 8 years on defense is our run defense. That problem starts with the inability to stop the opposing teams running game on first downs. I’m not sure how many years this has happened, but it’s almost every year of those 7 years that the Redskins defense has given up over 4 yards a carry on first down. If the defense is giving up 4 or more yards a carry on first downs, it’s a huge problem as opposing offenses then have two downs to pick up 6 or less yards.

So, for me, and I think every other Redskins fan I know whether it be in our personal life, on here, other boards or on social media; taking a NT like Payne or Vea with our #1 pick would be absolutely loved by this fan base. And if you’ve watched every snap of our run defense this entire decade, you’d know.

There seems to be some later round options in this draft for NT though, and if you look around the league at some of the best run defending DTs in the league a lot of them weren’t first round picks.  I’m not going to be upset if they draft Payne, but when you think about positional value it isn’t really the best use of the 13th pick.  Heck we could trade down (quite a bit) and still land a quality DT in this draft.

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

There seems to be some later round options in this draft for NT though, and if you look around the league at some of the best run defending DTs in the league a lot of them weren’t first round picks.  I’m not going to be upset if they draft Payne, but when you think about positional value it isn’t really the best use of the 13th pick.  Heck we could trade down (quite a bit) and still land a quality DT in this draft.

I agree we could adress the position later. The thing is that Payne should be amongst the best players available when we pick and his position continues to be one of the top needs for this team. This seems to be the same  occurence as last year where need and one of the BPAs available match for our team and I just think we’d be foolish to pass on the top NT in the draft because we may, may - if we are lucky - be able to find a good but not great prospect a round later or in the 4th round.

I’m at the same spot that I’ve been at for the last 8 years. A run stuffing NT is either the most important position on our 1st down defense and short yardage/goal line defense or the 2nd most important after OLB. 

The positional value may not be high for every team in the NFL, but it is high for our team. 

I just don’t know how we go into another season without having this position solved, and solved for the long term. We literally have gotten bullied on defense at the point of attack every single season on defense this decade except for 2011 and that just has to change if this defense is going to be anything better than average. The place our defense needs to be upgraded the most is right in the middle of the DL. Without us really upgrading the positon, our defense won’t be much better.

Archived