2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Mediocre tape? Nah at all. Sure he's raw but he's a mauler, he's not a guy who uses/needs to use technique. No different than other guys at certain positions. 

The one thing that is coached up at the next level is technique. 

Agree with this in his talent assessment. But not with other stuff. For me you don't choose a guy 11th overall that needs to completely be taught technique to his position. A mid rounder? Sure. But not the 11th pick. A guy drafted that high in a stacked Draft shouldn't need that much work IMO.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agree with this in his talent assessment. But not with other stuff. For me you don't choose a guy 11th overall that needs to completely be taught technique to his position. A mid rounder? Sure. But not the 11th pick. A guy drafted that high in a stacked Draft shouldn't need that much work IMO.

I can understand that but we’ve seen it work out. The issue with teaching technique is the guys who can mentally grasp it(when to use which technique). 

Becton hasn’t show that he’s a guy who can’t process information fast, his awareness is off the charts. He’s my #4 OT but by a small margin. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I can understand that but we’ve seen it work out. The issue with teaching technique is the guys who can mentally grasp it(when to use which technique). 

Becton hasn’t show that he’s a guy who can’t process information fast, his awareness is off the charts. He’s my #4 OT but by a small margin. 

Of course it works out sometimes. A lot of those times are on a mid round guy or a franchise that can afford that risk with a quality pick. His situation is neither of those with us. Plus he has a flagged drug test, which just cant be pushed to the side.

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Of course it works out sometimes. A lot of those times are on a mid round guy or a franchise that can afford that risk with a quality pick. His situation is neither of those with us. Plus he has a flagged drug test, which just cant be pushed to the side.

Douglas pushed it to the side. And it’s happened in the first round many times even recently. Not saying I’d take the risk but I get it if Douglas does.

With all the talent at WR in this draft, I could see some trades after the draft involving WR.

One thing I’m not against is trading picks for WR. WRs have a high bust rate (30% which is one of the highest positions). They also take longer to develop; so, you don’t get the benefit of a good player on a rookie contract like you would most defensive players and RB.

If the Jet pass on WR in the first, hopefully we can trade for a guy. I would still draft a WR on day 2. But that guy may not be ready day 1.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Douglas pushed it to the side. And it’s happened in the first round many times even recently. Not saying I’d take the risk but I get it if Douglas does.

In the Scott and Kahn interview, Douglas talked about drafting guys that are considered risky. He said they do a ton of work on prospects and a player that may be considered risky by the media, may not be considered risky internally. He may not view Becton as risky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Several things for me. Plays out of control quite a bit. Going for that big block instead of just actually using technique. He as well bc of his size would just hit wherever on a defender and it would work a decent amount for him. But that wont fly in the NFL. Which further goes for me to prove that he has very little technique. Playing in a weak ACC he was able to win on size alone. In the NFL that won't pass. He has A LOT of work with his technique to even start. Nevermind be a great OT. His lack of pass sets is worrisome also. especially in a rather throwing NFL. His weight "might" be an issue. He seems to have it under control now. But will he when he's 28 yrs old? Who knows.

This is just him as a player. And I get there's rarely a perfect prospect. But for me that's a lot of questions for an 11th pick. And you just cant leave out his flagged test. Pretty idiotoc to fail a test for the biggest interview of his life. Regardless of what the substance was. Shows a lack of maturity.

This is a correctable issue and if you talk to any coach, they would tell you they prefer a guy who overexerts themselves rather than not showing enough mean. It's his mea culpa that actually works out to his benefit when teams scout him. 

Very little technique? I want to see exactly what you're talking about in regards to "flawed technique". Can you point it out? 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is a correctable issue and if you talk to any coach, they would tell you they prefer a guy who overexerts themselves rather than not showing enough mean. It's his mea culpa that actually works out to his benefit when teams scout him. 

Very little technique? I want to see exactly what you're talking about in regards to "flawed technique". Can you point it out? 

I'm not typing it all out. This shows some of the good and bad that you're getting with him. This is actually a pro how good he is film breakdown. But it does show A LOT of his flaws you're getting as well.

I think doing the little things can tell how much a guy is coachable and has the desire to be great. Which is something Douglas is looking for.

CeeDee Lamb's blocking is fun to watch. And to have a guy who likes blocking and can be a star WR on top of that, is hard to find. 

• Like 2

I really like Voch’s videos. For those that listen to him and haven’t had the chance to hear his final rankings, here are the players on his big board that we’ve been debating:

#3 Wills

#8 Lamb

#9 Thomas

#13 Wirfs

#14 Jefferson

#15 Jeudy

#16 Becton

#17 Ruggs

Among guys like Jeremiah, he influences my views. So these rankings look good to me.

At the end of the day, we are splitting hairs. Most people have the 4 OT and 3 WRs in the top 15.

Edited by SDotNova