2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yet even with a clean pocket we still struggled on offense (we had the 2nd worst offense in the NFL, only barely above Washington). Think of how many of those plays could have been BIG plays if there was a great WR receiving the ball. Not a Vyncent Smith, Berrios, a washed up DT, etc. Gase's scheme relies on getting the ball in a playmakers hands and them doing the work for you. Most of the passes are quick passes. Meaning that it relies more on the playmaker than it does the OL. A quick screen eliminates most the OL. A quick slant eliminates most the OL. Obviously that's not the whole game plan... but that's largely how Gase likes running things in the receiving game. Also a wide spread OL shakes things up quite a bit from what you saw from us on the OL last year. We can't 100% say that Fant will play good in this system, but on paper he should be better. Same goes for Edoga. And I'm well aware they aren't great players. But the interior of our OL is quite a bit better. McGovern is a good C, GVR is a good G and a healthy Lewis or Winters should be better as well. The OL IS BETTER than it was. It doesn't need 5 new starters in 1 offseason to be addressed. It can continue to get addressed via Round 2 and/or 3. And if its still a weakness than we use a 1st next year on a OT (another good class next year). But by then Edoga has another year to show something. Fant as well and that 2nd or 3rd rounder too.

We never had a clean pocket last year that was the issue.  We couldn't even execute quick passes.  People want to be more explosive but how was Robby or Perriman this year going to get deep if the OL still stinks.  I like McGovern and GRV is a much better pass blocker but Edoga didn't get an offseason so to think he's ready is foolish.  It's not going to be Smith and Berrios though we are going to add WRs in the draft.

With a 1st round tackle you now have options and next year you give Edoga a proper offseason and may the best 2 win so you make sure your OTs are set for the future.

In a perfect world you want both sure but as I said you can make it work if you are lacking at WR where as if you OL is poor it ruins the entire unit.  Even the quick pass game doesn't work as we saw last year.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Remember when Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper were the safest picks of the 2013 draft?

Why waste your time even writing that?

You act like there haven't been countless elite prospects at WR who busted.

It's the draft, it's all a crap shoot.  You think it's not possible that one of the top WRs in this draft won't bust?  Sorry but no such thing as a sure thing.

I mean there are questions about Jeudy's hands and physicality, Lamb's ability to beat press, and Ruggs ability to make contested catches.  You take the guy with the least risk and hope for the best.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why waste your time even writing that?

You act like there haven't been countless elite prospects at WR who busted.

It's the draft, it's all a crap shoot.  You think it's not possible that one of the top WRs in this draft won't bust?  Sorry but no such thing as a sure thing.

I mean there are questions about Jeudy's hands and physicality, Lamb's ability to beat press, and Ruggs ability to make contested catches.  You take the guy with the least risk and hope for the best.

Where did I reference WR?

3 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

To add to the conversation that at least one of these OL are likely to bust as there are never "sure things" despite media's touting

And so will one of the WRs which was my point.  Why only focus on the OL and not the WRs.  People around here seem to think all the WRs are sure things though for some reason.

• Like 1

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

And so will one of the WRs which was my point.  Why only focus on the OL and not the WRs.  People around here seem to think all the WRs are sure things though for some reason.

Yo, sorry for posting - definitely will utilize your advice going forward

I think the point was just made that these OTs can bust just as easy as the WRs. I know that history says that the WR is more likely to bust. But history doesn't have 3 great WRs every draft. There's pretty much no such thing as a complete prospect, so anybody can nitpick a players game to find a weakness. For me the 3 WRs are can't miss players and I think they will all be great pros. I like to keep pointing to the 2014 draft bc it was similar to this one at the 2 positions we're discussing. While the draft is known for its WRs... lets not forget that OL was big that draft year as well.

2014 draft at OL and WR...

2nd: Greg Robinson

4th: Sammy Watkins

6th: Jake Matthews

7th: Mike Evans

11th: Taylor Lewan

12th: OBJ

16th: Zach Martin (OG)

19th: Ju'Wuan James

20th: Brandin Cooks

28th: Kelvin Benjamin

33rd: Xavier Su'a-Filo (OG)

35th: Joel Bitonio (OG)

39th: Marquise Lee

42nd: Jordan Matthews

43rd: Weston Richburg

44th: Cyrus Kouandijo

45th: Paul Richardson

So I ask would you be happy with a Robinson, Matthews or James? Doubt we are thinking OG at 11 so seeing a great player like Martin doesn't really apply to us or this (I do like Ruiz a lot).

We have two years of data on Darnold. Based on football outsiders:

In 2018, our OL ranked 18th in pass protection. Darnold struggled that year. I don’t have data to prove it, but the biggest issue with our passing game was WR separation.

In 2019, our OL ranked 30th in pass protection. But our WRs did get desperation. I recall seeing a stat that we were among the best. Darnold played better but not how we want him to play.

Not sure where to go with this but Gase’ scheme does help our WRs. A strong offensive line probably helps more because Gase has shown the ability to get guys open.

On the flip side, Gase was good at scheming the first couple of drives. Ultimately, lack of talent cost us production.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the point was just made that these OTs can bust just as easy as the WRs. I know that history says that the WR is more likely to bust. But history doesn't have 3 great WRs every draft. There's pretty much no such thing as a complete prospect, so anybody can nitpick a players game to find a weakness. For me the 3 WRs are can't miss players and I think they will all be great pros. I like to keep pointing to the 2014 draft bc it was similar to this one at the 2 positions we're discussing. While the draft is known for its WRs... lets not forget that OL was big that draft year as well.

2014 draft at OL and WR...

2nd: Greg Robinson

4th: Sammy Watkins

6th: Jake Matthews

7th: Mike Evans

11th: Taylor Lewan

12th: OBJ

16th: Zach Martin (OG)

19th: Ju'Wuan James

20th: Brandin Cooks

28th: Kelvin Benjamin

33rd: Xavier Su'a-Filo (OG)

35th: Joel Bitonio (OG)

39th: Marquise Lee

42nd: Jordan Matthews

43rd: Weston Richburg

44th: Cyrus Kouandijo

45th: Paul Richardson

So I ask would you be happy with a Robinson, Matthews or James? Doubt we are thinking OG at 11 so seeing a great player like Martin doesn't really apply to us or this (I do like Ruiz a lot).

After people posted that WRs bust more in round 1 you said there is no correlation between drafts because the prospects were different.  Now you are using a draft with different prospects to make your point for a WR.  You sir are very good.

• Like 1