Jump to content
BStanRamFan

2020 Draft Prix Fix

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

I'm not advocating them for us, I'm simply giving them as examples of guys I expect to get pushed up boards because coaches/teams arrogantly buy wholesale into the belief that if a guy has traits and "just needs development or polishing" that they are absolutely the staff capable of executing that development.  I also feel like guys with multiple flags for past injuries (Greenard, for instance) probably end up going later than projected because teams aren't going to have the benefit of having their own medical professionals examine them.

I also have felt for awhile that Greenard would go lower than projected due to his lack of great measurables (knew he wouldn't test very well) and his injuries. He's one of the few EDGE guys outside the first round that I like. But he has some valid questions. He wins as much on skill and savvy as he does traits. The question is if he'll be able to do that in the NFL with his fairly middling traits.

Still, he's a guy who will be a warrior for you on the field, so even if he doesn't develop into a great pass rusher, he'll show up to play each Sunday. That's what I like about Jennings. His pass rush potential looks weak (barring a miracle), but he does all the little things well and plays his butt off. You'll get a useful glue guy in him. He's just not a game changer. I don't see many guys I think are game changers in this class after the first round. Uche is the one guy I see with dominant traits and the right demeanor. He just has a lot of polishing to do. 

Frankly, this just isn't a very good EDGE class. In past years, there were a handful of guys I really liked outside of the first round. I'm struggling to find them this year. Hopefully, Jachai Polite has got his crap together and is ready to step up (or my guy Jeff Holland gets a chance and puts it all together).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I also have felt for awhile that Greenard would go lower than projected due to his lack of great measurables (knew he wouldn't test very well) and his injuries. He's one of the few EDGE guys outside the first round that I like. But he has some valid questions. He wins as much on skill and savvy as he does traits. The question is if he'll be able to do that in the NFL with his fairly middling traits.

Still, he's a guy who will be a warrior for you on the field, so even if he doesn't develop into a great pass rusher, he'll show up to play each Sunday. That's what I like about Jennings. His pass rush potential looks weak (barring a miracle), but he does all the little things well and plays his butt off. You'll get a useful glue guy in him. He's just not a game changer. I don't see many guys I think are game changers in this class after the first round. Uche is the one guy I see with dominant traits and the right demeanor. He just has a lot of polishing to do. 

Frankly, this just isn't a very good EDGE class. In past years, there were a handful of guys I really liked outside of the first round. I'm struggling to find them this year. Hopefully, Jachai Polite has got his crap together and is ready to step up (or my guy Jeff Holland gets a chance and puts it all together).

Agreed that it's not a very strong EDGE class.  There are some effort/lunchpail guys I like that don't get much if any hype and publicity (the kid out of Tulane for instance).  They're likely never going to be 10 sack/yr guys, but they can very much provide production in multiple phases as well as do well enough on ST to make the team consistently.

I actually think, as of right now, Zuniga ends up getting picked before Greenard does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The LBC said:

Agreed that it's not a very strong EDGE class.  There are some effort/lunchpail guys I like that don't get much if any hype and publicity (the kid out of Tulane for instance).  They're likely never going to be 10 sack/yr guys, but they can very much provide production in multiple phases as well as do well enough on ST to make the team consistently.

I actually think, as of right now, Zuniga ends up getting picked before Greenard does.

I do too. Zuniga is one of the few high upside guys in the class on Day 2. He's explosive and has underrated power. But he doesn't have Greenard's understanding of how to attack OTs. If Jabari did, he'd be a top 20 pick. He's a project, but he at least has upside and the right sort of attitude/demeanor. Oddly enough, though, he's better rushing from the inside than the EDGE right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I do too. Zuniga is one of the few high upside guys in the class on Day 2. He's explosive and has underrated power. But he doesn't have Greenard's understanding of how to attack OTs. If Jabari did, he'd be a top 20 pick. He's a project, but he at least has upside and the right sort of attitude/demeanor. Oddly enough, though, he's better rushing from the inside than the EDGE right now. 

My comp for Zuniga is actually Melvin Ingram.  They're not mirror images by any means, but i think they've got really similar paths in the pro's, because they win in very similar ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used my friends draftnetwork login to mock and do trades. I was able to do trades and drop back into the 3rd and then back up into the 3rd to essentially have a mostly 3rd round draft lol Its unrealistic, but fun because the 3rd round still has plenty of starting talent, character guys, injury guys, undersized guys, poor combine guys, but the upside is there just like the 2nd round. Below is what i walked away with and the pick numbers

#70 Julian Okwara

#84 Akeem Davis-Gaither

#91 Logan Wilson

#104 Zack Moss

#177 Antoine Brooks Sr.

 

That looks like possibly 5 starters if Brooks slides into that  Hyrbrid safety role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I used my friends draftnetwork login to mock and do trades. I was able to do trades and drop back into the 3rd and then back up into the 3rd to essentially have a mostly 3rd round draft lol Its unrealistic, but fun because the 3rd round still has plenty of starting talent, character guys, injury guys, undersized guys, poor combine guys, but the upside is there just like the 2nd round. Below is what i walked away with and the pick numbers

#70 Julian Okwara

#84 Akeem Davis-Gaither

#91 Logan Wilson

#104 Zack Moss

#177 Antoine Brooks Sr.

 

That looks like possibly 5 starters if Brooks slides into that  Hyrbrid safety role.

And the OLine? I thought that was a priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

And the OLine? I thought that was a priority.

I mean based on the FA signings of Whit and Blythe, I wouldn't be shocked if we rolled into camp with what we have unless a prospect we love falls to us. Right side is figured out in Evans, Havenstein, and Edwards. Blythe confirmed at C. Atleast Whit another year at LT and Noteboom backing him up where we originally drafted him for.

So thats Corbett at LG who was the #33 overall pick in 2018. Full camp with Kromer is important. I'm OK with that given how the line played down the stretch of last season. I think this draft will be spent on the defensive side of the ball minus 1 RB somewhere before round 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

I mean based on the FA signings of Whit and Blythe, I wouldn't be shocked if we rolled into camp with what we have unless a prospect we love falls to us. Right side is figured out in Evans, Havenstein, and Edwards. Blythe confirmed at C. Atleast Whit another year at LT and Noteboom backing him up where we originally drafted him for.

So thats Corbett at LG who was the #33 overall pick in 2018. Full camp with Kromer is important. I'm OK with that given how the line played down the stretch of last season. I think this draft will be spent on the defensive side of the ball minus 1 RB somewhere before round 5.

All I read last season and this offseason was if we don’t upgrade the OLine it’s a major error that they’re not good enough. And I’ve yet to see anything that Blythe is confirmed to be starting so I’ll look for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NVRamsFan said:

All I read last season and this offseason was if we don’t upgrade the OLine it’s a major error that they’re not good enough. And I’ve yet to see anything that Blythe is confirmed to be starting so I’ll look for that.

Snead confirmed in a recent interview that Blythe is starting Center. Think it was with ESPN LA, but not positive. Also, his contract would infer he is starting. The $3.5M guaranteed points to him being a starter.

 

And yeah, I think the O-Line is still an issue. I think we could use additional IOL and if the right one falls to one of our picks, I bet we pull the trigger. My gut is that we go very heavy on defense this draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Snead confirmed in a recent interview that Blythe is starting Center. Think it was with ESPN LA, but not positive. Also, his contract would infer he is starting. The $3.5M guaranteed points to him being a starter.

 

And yeah, I think the O-Line is still an issue. I think we could use additional IOL and if the right one falls to one of our picks, I bet we pull the trigger. My gut is that we go very heavy on defense this draft. 

So what you’re telling me is get ready for another year of OLine complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NVRamsFan said:

So what you’re telling me is get ready for another year of OLine complaints.

If the OLine sucks and we don't add anyone in the draft of note then yes, fans will and should complain about it. If they think they are set now then I can have some faith but if it is the same results then it is a failure by the organization to not address the biggest need on the team.

The ironic thing is usually you'd say that last year doesn't count because the line was fairly decimated with injuries but the line got better when Allen and Havenstein went down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LeotheLion said:

If the OLine sucks and we don't add anyone in the draft of note then yes, fans will and should complain about it. If they think they are set now then I can have some faith but if it is the same results then it is a failure by the organization to not address the biggest need on the team.

The ironic thing is usually you'd say that last year doesn't count because the line was fairly decimated with injuries but the line got better when Allen and Havenstein went down. 

But I’m being told here there’s no need to upgrade it. Personally I’m torn on it. I don’t think Blythe’s contract guarantees starter status being automatically granted. I’m also not one to throw a prospect away after his first year getting PT. But I do believe there are a handful of centers that can step in and be better day 1. I’d also think the can bring in a guard to compete with Corbett, Evans and Edwards and the rest on the roster and that’s not a bad thing. Whit is the LT at least this year and if he or Noteboom aren’t the answer next year they can address it then.

 

Im just shocked after the weekly venting about the OLine that people are advocating not drafting anybody there. It’s like last year didn’t happen and of anybody willing to move on from some of last years crew I’m surprised it’s just me so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

So what you’re telling me is get ready for another year of OLine complaints.

if the O-Line plays bad then people will complain. That's generally how complaining works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

But I’m being told here there’s no need to upgrade it. Personally I’m torn on it. I don’t think Blythe’s contract guarantees starter status being automatically granted. I’m also not one to throw a prospect away after his first year getting PT. But I do believe there are a handful of centers that can step in and be better day 1. I’d also think the can bring in a guard to compete with Corbett, Evans and Edwards and the rest on the roster and that’s not a bad thing. Whit is the LT at least this year and if he or Noteboom aren’t the answer next year they can address it then.

 

Im just shocked after the weekly venting about the OLine that people are advocating not drafting anybody there. It’s like last year didn’t happen and of anybody willing to move on from some of last years crew I’m surprised it’s just me so far.

It was a mock draft that I went heavy on defense lol no need to make such a broad assumption for everyone "on here" about the O-Line. It's just me. 

And yes, I was one of the biggest complainers about the O-Line going into the season and mid year. And later in the year they played noticeably better with Evans and Edwards in the line up. Also, said in my posts that if the right prospect falls to them (Ruiz, Cushenberry, Hennessey, Biadasz) they should pounce.

Corbett has talent and he can spend an offseason with Kromer; we could of gotten a steal from Cleveland.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The ironic thing is usually you'd say that last year doesn't count because the line was fairly decimated with injuries but the line got better when Allen and Havenstein went down. 

I would say it was clear that Allen was a huge issue, I dont think anyone actually felt gret about him going into the season, but thats what we had to go with.

But I wouldnt be so quick to knock Havenstein, he was playing hurt, and it was obvious. So yes it was better when he went down, but a fully healthy Rob is still our best option at RT for now

Now that Blythe has shown to be serviceable, I feel much better about the line as a whole. Especially since we arent forced to use Noteboom out of position, sure he may still be a factor at LG this year, but he isnt our only option like he was going into last season.

We arent set at OL by any means, and could upgrade just about everywhere, but we are in a much better spot right now than we were going into last year, due to the proven draft picks and trade additions. Throw me one more versitile upside pick in this draft, I think we should have a really solid OL that can protect Goff, even if they arent the machine like run blockers that we had 2 years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×