Vikings FFMD20 War Room

RpMc

1 minute ago, marshpit23 said:

So, you project him at OLB in the NFL?

I do like him as a nickel/dime backer and special teamer; I have a hard time seeing him be a base player, which is fine in today's NFL.

Clemson had him playing there at times as the hole player underneath a cover-2 shell.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

Darrell Taylor is a decent pickup I suppose, but I have Alton Robinson and Kenny Willekes as better prospects.  Alton is more athletic and it does stink Taylor never took part at the combine so no idea what his numbers are.  Alton Robinson did and was great running a 4.69 40 at 6-3 264, not to mention playing great at the senior bowl.  Kenny is a competitive dude, constant motor and consistent sack production for three years.  Only negative is his injury as a RS JR but he completely came back from it last season and did great which helps shows his passion and work ethic, but yeah just on passion and motor alone give me Kenny here all day.  He was a former walk on, two time first team All Big Ten in 2018 and 2019, in both years won team MVP as well and was a team Captain as a senior of course.  

Taylor is decent though, Taylor had 109 tackles, 25.5 TFL and 19.5 sacks when Kenny in the same three year span had 228 tackles, 49 TFL and 23.5 Sacks not to mention Kenny coming back from a major potentially career ending injury as a RS JR.  

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Taylor has better length than Willekes. I think we should trade up for Taylor!

Other mid round ends I like with potential

DJ Wonnum

Jonathan Garvin

Jonathan Greenard

Kahlid Kareem

Not sure if any are available though?

Taylor is a better athlete on tape no question, but the fact he never showed any combine numbers is a concern, curious what they would be.  I doubt his numbers would be better than Alton Robinson's at the combine.  He is a decent pick but in terms of passion, motor and competitive drive Willekes is the better player and better worker.  With the talent Taylor has he should have been a far better player at Tennessee then he was.  I thought Taylor was more of a 3/4 OLB potentially and won on speed more than using his hands like Willekes, who can just bull guys and really fight his way free.

Greenard is gone, I like Garvin as well but he disappointed at the combine and did not have a great season last year, Wonnum I like as well and Kareem has a lot of upside but both are more later round guys.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

Taylor is a better athlete on tape no question, but the fact he never showed any combine numbers is a concern, curious what they would be.  I doubt his numbers would be better than Alton Robinson's at the combine.  He is a decent pick but in terms of passion, motor and competitive drive Willekes is the better player and better worker.  With the talent Taylor has he should have been a far better player at Tennessee then he was.  I thought Taylor was more of a 3/4 OLB potentially and won on speed more than using his hands like Willekes, who can just bull guys and really fight his way free.

Greenard is gone, I like Garvin as well but he disappointed at the combine and did not have a great season last year, Wonnum I like as well and Kareem has a lot of upside but both are more later round guys.  

Maybe he was nursing an injury? Maybe he was banking on his pro day? Who knows.

So my thoughts is, give the vikings the better athlete, and let Patterson whip them into shape. I want to give Patterson players that have the toolbox to be successful and let him do his job; which is to coach them up. 

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Alton had already been drafted. He was on my list though!

Ok my bad, good to know.  Athletic profile fits but overall motor and passion with Taylor I do question.  Is a decent fit potentially though especially with Alton Robinson gone who is a proven athlete and has been dominating in the pre draft process with how he looked at the Senior bowl.  Still Kenny I think wants it more on tape, he literally took a Michigan TE and tackled the RB with him, he has a motor.  

Just now, battle2heaven said:

Maybe he was nursing an injury? Maybe he was banking on his pro day? Who knows.

So my thoughts is, give the vikings the better athlete, and let Patterson whip them into shape. I want to give Patterson players that have the toolbox to be successful and let him do his job; which is to coach them up. 

I am sure it is both.  I was wrong and Alton Robinson was gone so that does change things.  I would take Robinson over Taylor clearly but with him out it is less clear and is a tougher call.  Still usually give me the kid that wants it more, but sure maybe they do not like his athletic profile.  If it is all about being athletic then they take James Smith Williams who ran a 4.6 flat 40 but playing DL is more than just running a good 40 time and having good workout numbers.  Tape has to match and at times it does with Taylor, I just thought he would become a far more dominating player than he ended up being at Tennessee.   

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am sure it is both.  I was wrong and Alton Robinson was gone so that does change things.  I would take Robinson over Taylor clearly but with him out it is less clear and is a tougher call.  Still usually give me the kid that wants it more, but sure maybe they do not like his athletic profile.  If it is all about being athletic then they take James Smith Williams who ran a 4.6 flat 40 but playing DL is more than just running a good 40 time and having good workout numbers.  Tape has to match and at times it does with Taylor, I just thought he would become a far more dominating player than he ended up being at Tennessee.   

I'm a big Alton Robinson fan as well. I would love for the Vikings to target him in the late 3rd/4th in the real draft.