Brian Urlacher, First Ballot HoF?

Danger

When will Brian Urlacher get into the Hall of Fame?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When will Brian Urlacher get into the Hall of Fame?

• First Ballot
    • Later On
    • He Won't

On 9/25/2017 at 11:28 AM, Forge said:

Thomas definitely will, i agree. And thats a shame. His greatness is underrated

Zach Thomas was great at amassing total tackles, but I don't think the HOF should automatically induct players with "x" amount of Pro Bowls. He was a very good inside linebacker, but wasn't feared or impacted the game the way you would expect a HOF-caliber guy to do. Tackles alone aren't really the only standard for evaluating the position, and Thomas made too many of those tackles past the line of scrimmage. I think he'll be just shy of Canton, and I think the reason his case hasn't had much traction is because voters saw plenty of Dolphin games during his era. I give Thomas full credit for overcoming a lack of athleticism to have a terrific career, but I think the HOF should have impact players. Where are the signature moments? Jack Lambert wasn't much of an athlete either, but had tons of signature moments.      

19 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Tackles alone aren't really the only standard for evaluating the position, and Thomas made too many of those tackles past the line of scrimmage.

Run stuff rate

Brian Urlacher: 6.65%
Zach Thomas: 2.56%
Ray Lewis: 2.34%

19 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Where are the signature moments?

d3ba1129d53b60f3a2b6ae410724fdbc--cute-f

12 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Tackles alone aren't really the only standard for evaluating the position

Taking this further, # of impact plays per game (sacks, turnovers, stuffs)

Brian Urlacher: 1.00
Ray Lewis: 0.70
Zach Thomas: 0.58

Tackles per game

Zach Thomas: 9.35
Ray Lewis: 8.99
Brian Urlacher: 7.43

For what it's worth.

1 hour ago, LaserFocus said:

Zach Thomas was great at amassing total tackles, but I don't think the HOF should automatically induct players with "x" amount of Pro Bowls. He was a very good inside linebacker, but wasn't feared or impacted the game the way you would expect a HOF-caliber guy to do. Tackles alone aren't really the only standard for evaluating the position, and Thomas made too many of those tackles past the line of scrimmage. I think he'll be just shy of Canton, and I think the reason his case hasn't had much traction is because voters saw plenty of Dolphin games during his era. I give Thomas full credit for overcoming a lack of athleticism to have a terrific career, but I think the HOF should have impact players. Where are the signature moments? Jack Lambert wasn't much of an athlete either, but had tons of signature moments.      

I think it's really undervaluing and underselling Thomas to call him just a tackling machine. 

Archived