Jump to content
coordinator0

Baltimore Ravens 2020 NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

I can see ravens just keeping 2 QBs on the 53 (lamar and RG3), releasing both trace and Tyler (if they can’t find a trade), then signing whichever one who doesn’t get scooped up on waivers to the practice squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Davesta said:

I can see ravens just keeping 2 QBs on the 53 (lamar and RG3), releasing both trace and Tyler (if they can’t find a trade), then signing whichever one who doesn’t get scooped up on waivers to the practice squad. 

It's tough though. Regardless of how we try and spin it Lamar's playing style does put him more at risk of injury. The reward is well-worth it so whatever but it is what it is. Then RGIII has been far from the picture of durability in his career. That's a game of risk the team probably shouldn't play. If Jackson goes down they're in big trouble regardless but you still need guys capable of taking the field.

Being able to bring up a player from the practice squad is nice but there are still going to be inactive players every week. If three quarterbacks are active for every game you might as well have a third one on the active roster and one on the practice squad. I think that's what's going to happen for the Ravens this year regardless of who wins the third spot. I doubt either McSorely or Huntely would be hot commodities on waivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Or Ingram running behind Rechsteiner running behind Ricard off of an unbalanced line to the right side that’s composed of:

 DJ Fluker, Orlando Brown Jr, Tyre Phillips, and Nick Boyle.

Andrews of course lined up on the opposite side of the formation just for the PA pass threat off a bootleg.

Whose stopping that?

175 pounds safety/linebacker! I collapsed a run game like that once by shooting up a gap and clipping a pullers legs.

A team with injured receives went into a douple tight end, fullback and RB combination with a 260 lbs quarterback who also ran the ball.

That was an awesome game. Hard nosed, bruised bloody and muddy ironman football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Danand said:

175 pounds safety/linebacker! I collapsed a run game like that once by shooting up a gap and clipping a pullers legs.

A team with injured receives went into a douple tight end, fullback and RB combination with a 260 lbs quarterback who also ran the ball.

That was an awesome game. Hard nosed, bruised bloody and muddy ironman football.

In the NFL though, there aren’t many players alive that wouldn’t take that “business decision“ route and just go for a walk courtesy of our runner behind that front (“ET, phone home?”)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Huntley is also more of a style fit behind Lamar (to add to everything you said in the quoted).

FWIW, I don't think RG3 is going anywhere this season. He's cheap and offers a lot of peace of mind as the guy to step in for a series or game if needed.

Agreed. I see three QBs on the roster. Can’t risk another team purging one of our best options. FWIW I think McSorely would present less to an opposing team and thus would be why I would choose to keep Huntley to develop... heck I’d rather stash him on IR before putting him on the PS.

With McSorely he’s really not dynamic enough as a runner to be a gadget option in the pros and he’s not possessed enough of the classic QB tools to really improve another teams QB situation to where they would need to pillage him off our PS. I think the safest bet to retain all 4 options to bolster our durability at the position would be LJ8, RG3, and TH2 on the roster and McSorely on the PS.

If Huntley develops as anticipated than we could move on from RG3 next season and have McSorely and Huntley compete for that QB2 spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

In the NFL though, there aren’t many players alive that wouldn’t take that “business decision“ route and just go for a walk courtesy of our runner behind that front (“ET, phone home?”)

Had I been wiser back then, I should have made business decisions.

To me, I think Boyle and Ricard as blockers are sufficient to both make a power run up the middle or a play-action fake to a deep route/Andrews as a crosser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed. I see three QBs on the roster. Can’t risk another team purging one of our best options. FWIW I think McSorely would present less to an opposing team and thus would be why I would choose to keep Huntley to develop... heck I’d rather stash him on IR before putting him on the PS.

 

To play devil's advocate. This year there very likely won't be preseason games (or very limited games) and off season practice will be limited. I can't imagine any teams that didn't even think Huntley was worth a 7th round pick plucking him from our PS for their active roster without any tape on him. I could also see us taking our chances with McSorley for the initial 53 man roster to be able to put someone else on IR. Going further down that path it could be easier for the Ravens to sneak certain players through to PS than in previous years. I expect we will still have 1 UDFA make the team just to keep the streak alive (this has a tangible benefit each year in pitching UDFAa to sign with us).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jpeter15 said:

To play devil's advocate. This year there very likely won't be preseason games (or very limited games) and off season practice will be limited. I can't imagine any teams that didn't even think Huntley was worth a 7th round pick plucking him from our PS for their active roster without any tape on him. I could also see us taking our chances with McSorley for the initial 53 man roster to be able to put someone else on IR. Going further down that path it could be easier for the Ravens to sneak certain players through to PS than in previous years. I expect we will still have 1 UDFA make the team just to keep the streak alive (this has a tangible benefit each year in pitching UDFAa to sign with us).

Oh. As I’ve said before. What I EXPECT to happen is McSorely makes the roster. However what I think would be SMARTEST is Tyler Huntley making it. I’m not concerned about a team poaching McSorely. His toolset is much more replaceable. I see a worse QB from an ability, skillset, and athletic perspective. Thus no use gambling IMO.

Sure a team might not have been able to convince Huntley to sign for them over the Ravens because of scheme fit and the idea of getting to play with Lamar/Hollywood... but that doesn’t mean a team we play might not be interested in making him their 3rd QB on the roster to stash away. I mean at that point, it’s not a players choice as to where he would play (not really anyway).

That said I’m also smart enough to know that Harbaugh is a creature of habit and won’t elevate TH2 above TM7 outside of injury because of his seniority. Huntley would have to legit beat him out, which given the climate won’t likely happen as he’s running around confused.

But a guy with legit fringe starting ability on that Tyrod Taylor level is IMO a valuable asset that shouldn’t be gambled with. I understand the likelihood might be lower, but my point is I wouldn’t make said gamble that a team like the Texans or Eagles might not otherwise poach him if an injury happened. I can’t see him lasting the full year on the PS while I can certainly see TM7 lasting... plus if he didn’t I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

This reminds me of how we toyed around with Zack Seiler... and Miami scooped him up in a hurry where he quickly went on to produce with playing time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×